Take O-Chem as Soph or Junior?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0CTORX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So right now I am enrolled in a Community College.

I am planning on transferring out to a University next year.

I will have taken at the cc)
-Chem 1 and Chem 2(currently enrolled) and Chem 3 in the summer
-Bio 1, 2, and 3.
-Calc 1 and 2.

Now here is the dilemma. I could nonmatric to a University for summer and take O-chem, or do it in fall and take it concurrent with A&P, Bio 1.

Or wait it out and take it as a Junior then take Physics with the Bio classes.

So my schedule would look like this(waiting on ochem)
Fall:
-Physics 1
-Bio 1
-A&P

OR

Fall:
Ochem 1
Bio 1
A&P

Its really either or, I could wait on Physics or Ochem, which should I take now?

Would it hurt me if I took Ochem later on? I understand its on the MCAT, and then I wouldn't be able to take it until after Junior Year.

Im afraid I might forget Bio, and some Gen Chem by then.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why are you taking bio 1, when you have already taken bio 1-3?
If I were you, I would lose the A&P, and take Ochem and physics.

Take it when you think you can handle the class and do well. Many pre meds try to take many pre reqs all at the same time and end up doing horrible

Members don't see this ad :)

This OP. Don't take bio again and drop A&P. You don't need it.

Take it when you think you can handle the class and do well. Many pre meds try to take many pre reqs all at the same time and end up doing horrible

My case in a nutshell, though I started in engineering. Had mediocre(B's and 2 BC's in Calc 1-2, Physics 2, Gen Chem, with AP credit for Physics 1 and Bio 1) sGPA, and am now scrambling to make up for it. I also switched to a L&S major, and am trying to incorporate the premed reqs into the course load, one or two a semester instead of taking them all at once.

I'm taking MCAT this summer(before fall junior semester), lacking Ochem experience, and am relying on self study. If you have time, you could split up the pre-reqs and be able to focus more attention on them individually, but only if you'll have time to get them in before having to take the MCAT, unless you're prepared to self study. Personally, I would hold off on adding another hard class to your fall semester, and try to split it up.

My sGPA sucks right now because I tried to overload(along w/ freshman adjustment but hey...)so all I can say is try to focus your efforts on those classes. My overall GPA will be competitive, but my sGPA will be around 3.2-3.4 at best when I graduate. Don't be me, because I'm worried...

Haven't taken bio yet. Just listed as what I will have taken when transferring...