Take the B/B+ or Drop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First post in the forums, long time observer. I am a URM, graduated with a 3.8, cum laude, phi beta kappa with a couple other awards for scholarship and community service. Science GPA from minimum number of science required classes was a 3.4 (no pre-reqs). Worked for a couple years in low income communities and saw firsthand the challenges families and students have with accessing medical care and want to do something about it.

I took the plunge to start taking pre-req classes while working full time. Gen Chem is kicking my ass, class average on last two quizzes was a 30% but I think I am headed towards an A or A-. Biology is another story. Last exam was rough; class is 5 weeks behind schedule (yes, 5 weeks). Due to class being behind schedule, our 4 chapter exams and final are being changed to two chapter exams and a final, which makes this last exam count for more. Long story short, I'm headed towards a B+/B. Should I drop the class or keep the grade and move on?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Keep a B/B+.

You should only consider dropping if you're heading for a C/C- at this point. A grade of B's won't kill you for a few classes, and a B+ is pretty decent. If you plan on applying to high level MD schools IDK, but this isn't a reason for concern.

Yeah, you're totally fine with the B/B+. And this is the first semester of gen chem, right? Do whatever you can to get that A second semester: utilize different study techniques, spend more time studying each day/week if possible, utilize tutoring services at the school, go to office hours, do extra practice problems, use YouTube resources, form a productive study group, etc. I am sure it is a challenge to go the extra mile while working full time, but YOU CAN DO IT! :)

Lol, your cumulative gpa is so high, it won't even make a dent. A string of B's though, that's another story.