Take the GRE or does it not matter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eskibot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a senior majoring in Civil Engineering, should I take the GRE or will it not matter for the most part? Applying to Harvard Extension in May and they said that it doesnt matter if you take it or not, it wont affect anything. Is this the case for most post bac programs

Members don't see this ad.

Most postbac programs don't care for the GRE. If anything some will require the MCAT but not the GRE. Some postbacs may accept it, but generally if you're looking to go to medical school then you don't need to take the GRE. In fact med schools don't even care for the GRE. If you're looking into physician assistant programs or the like, then you'll need it. Look up the individual programs you're interested in and see what their requirements/policies are.

Reactions: 1 user
I never took the GREs. I went to Harvard Extension and now finishing up med school. Not once was it ever requested by any of the schools where I applied. Like etp123 said, you'll need the MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never took the GREs. I went to Harvard Extension and now finishing up med school. Not once was it ever requested by any of the schools where I applied. Like etp123 said, you'll need the MCATs.

I am actually really considering Harvard Extension since I have family that lives in the area. How hard was it for you to get in? I currently have a 3.3 GPA, but I was told I can't apply until after graduation in May.

Hello folks,

I'm new to the SD site. I'm an engineer, , and have decided to take up medicine as a career. I have already started volunteering in an ER, and was hoping for a Spring pre-med post bac admit. I have been reading about the Harvard extension pre ped post bac program, and I can't seem to find some basic info on their webpage. Would really appreciate some sage advice on the following:

1) Is the Harvard pre med prog exclusively an evening deal? Can I not take day classes?
2) Do they have a Spring intake?
3) Do you take these classes with undergraduates?

I know I should probably be mailing them, but I thought you guys may have some inputs here.

Thank you! :)

I am actually really considering Harvard Extension since I have family that lives in the area. How hard was it for you to get in? I currently have a 3.3 GPA, but I was told I can't apply until after graduation in May.

I didn't check SDN for some time, so sorry for the late response.

I called to ask about how hard it would be to get into their HCP program. I spoke with Dr. Fixsen. I have no clue if he still runs the program, as that was over 5 years ago. He basically asked a few questions about my grades and activities in about a 2 minute span and said I would have no problem being accepted. So I applied and was accepted shortly. I had a 3.7x. GPA and was working full time, so our experiences may differ.

Nonetheless, you don't actually need to be in a formal program like HCP. You can just take the same courses piecemeal. HCP only guarantees you a committee letter at the end if you maintain certain grades. You don't need a committee letter (though it may help) when applying to medical school.

There is a Harvard Extension thread in the Postbacc section of SDN. I can answer some questions, but they are at least 5 years out of date. You'll want to verify anything I tell you about HES.

1. It's exclusively evening courses, at least for the core science stuff that I took.
2. I don't believe they have Spring enrollment, as the courses are structured in a particular order. They may have summer enrollment for an accelerated track.
3. There may be some undergraduates there, but most of the students are postbaccs and career changers. The Harvard College students don't take these science classes, but the instructors are the occasionally the same (ie. Dr. Tucci for Gen Chem).

Thank you gostman. Appreciate your detailed response.

And, yes, Dr Fixsen is still incharge. He is very fast with his replies. I really appreciate your input :)

Thank you.