Take USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evrybodylies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I usually don't post too much on here but im kind of at a crossroads and would like some advice. I'm a second year osteopathic medical student currently prepping for step 1. I'm not 100% sure as to what specialty I will be pursuing but psychiatry is something I've always been interested in. I am currently only registered to take the COMLEX and my question is, would this put me at a distinct disadvantage if I decide to pursue psychiatry? I know many allopathic programs "accept" the COMLEX however do they prefer to take the USMLE? I read an old thread of COMLEX accepting allo programs around the country and it appeared to have a good amount of programs. Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

There may be programs where COMLEX is considered as good as USMLE, but there are some that do value USMLE over COMLEX. There are even some that require USMLE. Others have argued differently, but I’m fairly sure that these two statements are true. If they are, you are better off with USMLE than you are without it; of course this assumes you do well on it. No one would argue that blowing a test would be helpful.

If history repeats itself, you are about to get some posts saying “Don’t take USMLE”. If you don’t have confidence you will do reasonably well, this may be good advice. If you see yourself as a competitive applicant, you should take it.

Now I will wait for the counter arguments to begin. :corny:

Hey everyone, I usually don't post too much on here but im kind of at a crossroads and would like some advice. I'm a second year osteopathic medical student currently prepping for step 1. I'm not 100% sure as to what specialty I will be pursuing but psychiatry is something I've always been interested in. I am currently only registered to take the COMLEX and my question is, would this put me at a distinct disadvantage if I decide to pursue psychiatry? I know many allopathic programs "accept" the COMLEX however do they prefer to take the USMLE? I read an old thread of COMLEX accepting allo programs around the country and it appeared to have a good amount of programs. Thanks in advance for your help!

This is region specific. If you're looking Midwest I'm not sure it'd make a diff. With that said if you're not 100% set on psych or FM at this point take the usmle and do well.

In the end I think COMLEX is accepted nearly everywhere but preferred nowhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There may be programs where COMLEX is considered as good as USMLE, but there are some that do value USMLE over COMLEX. There are even some that require USMLE. Others have argued differently, but I’m fairly sure that these two statements are true. If they are, you are better off with USMLE than you are without it; of course this assumes you do well on it. No one would argue that blowing a test would be helpful.

If history repeats itself, you are about to get some posts saying “Don’t take USMLE”. If you don’t have confidence you will do reasonably well, this may be good advice. If you see yourself as a competitive applicant, you should take it.

Now I will wait for the counter arguments to begin. :corny:
No counter here. What you said is consistent with my impression of things. DOs are more likely to help their application by taking the examination.

Thanks everyone. I guess my major concern is, like you said, taking the USMLE and doing poorly. I think it probably wise to take it and keep my options open in the long run.

I would 100% take it if I could do things over. Yes, in the Midwest most places accept it. That's not true in Chicago or Ann Arbor though, and that keeps you out of the running for some pretty great programs. Personally, I didn't realize until early fourth year that I really like psychodynamics and psychoanalysis. That put me in a position to really want to go to some northeastern programs that I had previously not thought I would care much about. Not having usmle is a problem there. I say better safe than sorry. You can't kmow in your second year where you'll want to be for sure, so why limit yourself unnecessarily. I wish someone had told me to take it.

I'd say it depends on your residency plans. if you know what geographical areas or programs you are interested in I would look into those. Very few programs told me USMLE was required but if you think you might want to be in east coast/cali then you bet you want to take USMLE for an edge over lazy people like me...I knew I wanted to be in the south/midwest so there was no need for me to spend the extra 2k for step1/2 and stress out about it. Of course, there are a few programs in the south/midwest that want the USMLE but often they aren't known to be DO embracing anyways (ex Michigan). The whole COMLEX vs USMLE brings me back to those days in high school debating whether or not to take SAT vs ACT vs both. Doesn't matter which way you go as long as you have no regrets in the end.

I only took Comlex 2. Is it worth just taking USMLE step 2?

What are you hoping to gain to take the USMLE that the Comlex already does for you?
Just wondering if having at least USMLE step 2 would give me a boost for some residency programs.

Just wondering if having at least USMLE step 2 would give me a boost for some residency programs.
I'm not sure how much that would help. Programs either understand and accept COMLEX or they do not. When programs look at standardized testing to evaluate applicants, it's the Step 1 that carries the heavy weight. The Step 2 is largely helpful for assuaging fears if someone crumbles on the Step 1. I've heard the logic on SDN of the Step 2 being more "clinical" but haven't personally run across programs that talk about Step 2 in the same breath as Step 1).

In short, if I was an osteopath applying to moderately-competitive to competitive allopathic residencies, I'd take Step 1. If I didn't, I don't think I'd take Step 2....