Taking 5 years to graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I plan on taking at least a gap year, so I'd be applying the summer after my senior year. Depending on what my final GPA is, I might need to improve. Would it even matter if I delayed my graduation and took additional coursework? None of the schools would see my grades....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what I meant to ask was, what would be the point in taking classes to improve my GPA if schools wouldn't even see?

At end of the first semester, I'd probably already be close to done with my cycle

At end of the first semester, I'd probably already be close to done with my cycle
You could either update the schools when grades are finalized, or you could wait until the following cycle to apply if you really think your grades will limit you.

You could either update the schools when grades are finalized, or you could wait until the following cycle to apply if you really think your grades will limit you.
By the times grades are finalized (so in like December), wouldn't schools have already made decisions? I thought that would be kind of late. The Spring semester definitely wouldn't help me, since that doesn't end until May.
So when people take gap years to improve GPA, do they really mean 2 gap years since the first year of grades probably won't even have much impact on your application since you're already deep into the cycle?

What?

If you want all your grades to be out:
May - you graduate
June - you apply to med school
For the next 14 months, you pray to Budda/God/whoever - that you are accepted (directly or from waitlist)
August - start school

That's 1 gap year.

What?

If you want all your grades to be out:
May - you graduate
June - you apply to med school
For the next 14 months, you pray to Budda/God/whoever - that you are accepted (directly or from waitlist)
August - start school

That's 1 gap year.
I mean, if I extended my graduation for one more year, I feel like the new grades I get wouldn't really matter.

May--end of my senior year
That summer--I apply to med schools
August--Start super senior year because I extended graduation and need to improve GPA
September--like January I guess--Schools make decisions, meaning my super senior year grades won't really have much of an impact.

So if I wanted my grades from being a super senior to matter, I would have to wait to apply till the summer after that, meaning I take 2 gap years.

"super senior year" isn't considered a "gap year"...

But yes you will be taking 1 year of GAP year + 1 year for your extended undergrad.

I mean, if I extended my graduation for one more year, I feel like the new grades I get wouldn't really matter.

August--Start super senior year because I extended graduation and need to improve GPA
September--like January I guess--Schools make decisions, meaning my super senior year grades won't really have much of an impact.

So if I wanted my grades from being a super senior to matter, I would have to wait to apply till the summer after that, meaning I take 2 gap years.

What you are describing is not a 2 year gap year because you are not taking a gap from school for 2 years...

What you are describing is not a 2 year gap year because you are not taking a gap from school for 2 years...

Isn't extending graduation just considered taking additional coursework? I would think that would mean I took extra classes in my gap year.....

Isn't extending graduation just considered taking additional coursework? I would think that would mean I took extra classes in my gap year.....
When people refer to a gap year, they usually mean the period after you graduated from undergrad. The definition of gap year doesn't change anything about the question you are asking; if you want to be sure your extra classes make an impact, wait until the following summer to apply.

The U.S undergraduate education system needs to stop advertising bachelor's degrees as a 4 year thing. Things like engineering and assorted science degrees that require you to take classes in sequences are quite difficult to complete in only 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user
The U.S undergraduate education system needs to stop advertising bachelor's degrees as a 4 year thing. Things like engineering and assorted science degrees that require you to take classes in sequences are quite difficult to complete in only 4 years.
Exactly, it seems as though OP is operating under the assumption that one is expected to graduate in 4 years. That is obviously not the case.