Taking a break from medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is such a thing possible? maybe stupid question.

Can you go for 1 year in medical school, then take a year off. then go back to finish?

And if you get accepted, do you HAVE to go that year?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard of people taking a few months off but not a year.

You don't have to go the year you got accepted. If the school allows, you can defer and go next year - but you better have a great reason for deferring.

I'd wait until you're ready to apply. Time off after college can strengthen your med school application, but time off during med school will have the opposite effect come time to apply for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)

Can you go for 1 year in medical school, then take a year off. then go back to finish?

Under certain circumstances, yes you can go on hiatus during medical school (injury, severe familial problems, etc). Some schools allow you to defer after acceptance, but it's best to clarify this as soon as possible.

Yes, you can defer, aka delay starting for a year, or take an LOA, or leave of absence once you pay and then decide you want to stop. If you take an LOA you likely will not get your money back. Its pretty common to take an LOA for family reasons or if a person was ready for the intensity of medical school classes. If you are thinking about taking a break before starting.... do it. Come in well rested and mentally ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

the second you aren't enrolled is when the debt collectors come [in flocks]

Taking a year off in the middle of school is a pretty stupid decision, in a financial sense. You're adding an extra year of interest.

People taking Leave of Absences, because they don't have any other choice (failing their classes, unexpected life changes) or for academic purposes (concurrent masters or research, which I guess really isn't LoA).

Taking a year or two off before you even start is the smart decision to take if one needs a break.

-bump-

why?

Many places allow deferral for certain reasons, but it isn't universally granted like it might be in college. And taking a year off has to be coupled with a good reason, both because schools have to arrange things based on the number of students -- if there's only so much capacity on required core rotations during third year they can have multiple years of people hitting third year at the same time -- and because gaps on your resume can be a career killer if you don't have a good explanation. If you have unfinished business, it's best to finish it first before you apply. Med school will always be there.

Many places allow deferral for certain reasons, but it isn't universally granted like it might be in college. And taking a year off has to be coupled with a good reason, both because schools have to arrange things based on the number of students -- if there's only so much capacity on required core rotations during third year they can have multiple years of people hitting third year at the same time -- and because gaps on your resume can be a career killer if you don't have a good explanation. If you have unfinished business, it's best to finish it first before you apply. Med school will always be there.

Yes. You will have to explain it on EVERY app for licensing, credentialing, etc for the rest of your career.

There are a lot of good reasons that people might take a year (or sometimes more) off in the middle of med school. People might take time off to pursue another degree (MPHs aren't uncommon at my school, for example), to deal with a serious personal or family health problem (if you're diagnosed with cancer, please take time off to deal with chemo and all that), or to do research. So it's definitely possible. But you should take time off from school for a good reason, not just because you don't feel like doing school all in one go.

Also, after you first year is an awkward time to take a break, although obviously everything can't be planned for. After second or third year is much better and more common.