Taking a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeffmol54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it a good idea to take a gap year, will it hurt your chances on getting in, I was going to take a gap year possibly and do some shadowing and work as well as improve a MCAT score but my score may be good enough already I'll find out in a couple of days, any input would be fantastic!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you are being productive and becoming a better applicant, it will not hurt you.

I took a "gap year" and was still able to get accepted into every school I interviewed at. I did spend my year off working as a scribe and volunteering as well as other productive things, however, so I think as long as you don't spend the year doing nothing you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took 2 years off doing literally nothing. Nobody cared.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a gap year and LOVED it. Got a chance to work overseas and travel a bit. I got into every school I interviewed at and believe it helped me stand out. There are quite a few non-traditional students in my class (who worked other jobs or careers before applying), so no it will not hurt you.