Taking a Leave of Absence after MS2? - Pilot Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quax

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my first year this fall and this will need a lot of planning, so I'm trying to think ahead....I'm interested in taking a 2 year leave of absence after MS2 to train as a F-16 pilot in the National Guard. Is there anyone on here that knows of someone who has done something similar (taking a leave of absence for something not necessarily medically related)?

A lot of you will say if that is what you really want to do, just be a pilot, but I don't see why I can't do both. The military has a small group of pilot-physicians (fully certified pilots + MDs), plus there are tons of civilian professionals in the guard and reserves. There are even PhDs in the enlisted ranks.

*Why didn't I do this before med school? - I have become increasing interested in flying over the last 2 years or so and am just beginning to go for my private pilot license (basically a minimum to enter the guard or reserves as a pilot).

*Why don't I wait until after med school? - If I wait much longer than 2 years, my age becomes a factor to be accepted for military pilot training.

Members don't see this ad.

Quax said:
I'm starting my first year this fall and this will need a lot of planning, so I'm trying to think ahead....I'm interested in taking a 2 year leave of absence after MS2 to train as a F-16 pilot in the National Guard. Is there anyone on here that knows of someone who has done something similar (taking a leave of absence for something not necessarily medically related)?

A lot of you will say if that is what you really want to do, just be a pilot, but I don't see why I can't do both. The military has a small group of pilot-physicians (fully certified pilots + MDs), plus there are tons of civilian professionals in the guard and reserves. There are even PhDs in the enlisted ranks.

*Why didn't I do this before med school? - I have become increasing interested in flying over the last 2 years or so and am just beginning to go for my private pilot license (basically a minimum to enter the guard or reserves as a pilot).

*Why don't I wait until after med school? - If I wait much longer than 2 years, my age becomes a factor to be accepted for military pilot training.

Do you have a slot confirmed for UPT right now? If not, don't wait. I know one guy who's going to the selection board in July (second time for him) for a Air Guard UPT slot in FY 2006 (thats at least 1.5 years from now). If you do have to wait, you might as well finish your med school education, you can always do your PG years after UPT and your active duty time.

And, if your unit is anything like mine, just having a private pilots ticket isn't going to impress the selection board - we didn't even start to consider people unless they'd served in the unit for a year or two AND had a commercial/instrument ticket. We typically would select people who were CFI's with 500+ hours total time.

If you do have a confirmed UPT slot (orders in your pocket) I'd say it's risky. Orders can be cancelled, slots reassigned.

And, how many dual hats (fully qualified pilots + MD's) does the Guard have anyway? I never met one in 14 years in the Air Guard.