Taking a med school course BEFORE med school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pokemanz

Yes, I'm British.... blimey!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a research employee at a major research university, and I am allowed to take courses essentially for free. I recently discovered that I can take some courses that med students take together as long as they are not heavily lab-based, like anatomy. I'm limited to the typical M1 courses, though. It seemed too good to be true, but after doing a bit more research, I discovered that it is indeed true! My PI recommended that I look into taking some of these courses. I'm uncertain of his reasoning behind this, as I'm doing just fine in my research projects, but I figured since I'll be applying for medical school next year that I might ask you all what might be some good M1 courses to take. Then again, my PI used to be an ADCOM member at Northwestern some years ago…. So I guess what I'm saying is this: If you could take an M1 medical school course before med school, which one would you take? I'm thinking I might take biochemistry, but I have a pretty extensive biochemistry background. I dunno… what are your thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just do med school before med school? Or better yet just walk in to a hospital with scrubs and start diagnosing? Or just enjoy your damn summer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
If I were you, I would rather devote more time into your research for more potential publications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just do med school before med school? Or better yet just walk in to a hospital with scrubs and start diagnosing? Or just enjoy your damn summer?

I'll be working full-time up until med school, but I always make time for summer.
These classes won't be in the summer by the way....

If I were you, I would rather devote more time into your research for more potential publications.
I've got more than enough....
:\

Histology.
My lab does a lot of IHC, so I could definitely see where this would be relevant. In fact, I'm looking at a histology textbook on my desk as I type this!

My lab does a lot of IHC, so I could definitely see where this would be relevant. In fact, I'm looking at a histology textbook on my desk as I type this!
Another potential advantage, some med schools will let you take a test so you can place out of the class (which I did).

Reactions: 1 user
take something that isn't really traditionally taught in med school, like health care politics or economics if that interests you.

You can take med school classes for free whenever you want.

Just buy costanzo's physiology, moore's clinically oriented anatomy, clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple, bates clinical examination, etc...

Most real med students don't even attend class anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
If it were me, I wouldn't really approach it from the mentality of "what can I do to gain an advantage and get a head-start on medical education" and instead think about what content I'd find most interesting to learn. 99% of medical students enter without having taken any previous medical school classes and do just swimmingly; I'm not sure that taking the class before would necessarily give you a major leg up that would be worth the effort.

Waste of time. And it isn't even close. There is no reason to take a class early unless you have a serious hardon for that subject matter in which case you wouldn't be asking which subject to take. You will not gain any advantage and will waste time that could be spent doing any number of other things.