Taking A&P I and II at Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarryNightSky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in undergrad and working on my prereqs for DPT programs. I want to take A&P I and II with labs over the summer at a community college. However, I heard that some programs don't view community college classes as high as classes at 4 year colleges. Is this true for many DPT programs? Does anyone have experience with programs (specifically Hunter College in NYC) not accepting community college courses or weighing them not as heavily as 4 year college courses? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It honestly depends on which schools you are applying to. From my experience, tons of people take CC pre reqs but you just have to make sure that the class equivalence is met via each individual school.

I'd say it's safe to take pre reqs at a CC

In my experience, schools don't care where you got your pre-reqs done at. Who can accurately say that one school is better than the other? There's really no objective measurement. As long as the school is accredited, you're good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools say cc is less rigorous. Just to be on the safe side make sure you get As. I got As in mine and got in 2 schools. I also used my AP 2 professor as a reference.

Okay, thank you for the responses! It's great to hear that many schools accept CC courses!

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I still don't get why some people look down upon on this. I'm in my last semester at a community college and for example.. I had Anatomy I with a few students who had already graduated and others who were older and coming back for their degrees. Out of these, they came from reputable colleges like Urbana-Champaign, UIC, Bradley, which are some I remember at the top of my head. Basically, they still found the courses challenging when compared to the school they previously attended. I don't know.. I guess it depends on the person, or just the perception of someone who thinks just because he's at a "larger" university he's getting some challenging coursework. But then again, perhaps it was just my class in general.. The teacher previously taught at Wisconsin-Madison, so she really raised the level of education and I was extremely thankful for it made us learn a lot.

Took chem 1/2, a&p 1/2, and many other courses at a community college. I have talked to many students in the physiology course here at the university and can say without a doubt we went way more in depth at the community colleges. Because of the in depth 1 year a&p, I was a lot more ready for classes like exercise physiology and gross anatomy then students who had started out at the university.

Honestly wish I would have taken physics and calculus at the cc too

Reactions: 1 user
I received many acceptances from schools and did basically all my prereqs at CCs. It doesn't matter. Just get good grades.

Reactions: 1 users