Taking A W?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmdreamerz

c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Physics has not been treating me kindly this semester. Part of it is a professor that stands up in the front of the class and does little more than twinkle a meter stick. Part of it is the subject is completely unintutitive to me so I'm having a hard time teaching myself (no notes are given for the class so I'm working from a textbook and it's just not going awesome...). It's a HUGE source of stress to me because I have a pretty solid GPA and the idea of ruining it with one class...ugh. I did terrible on the first test but got a B on this last one (a curved B, the class average is like 40%).

The drop date is Friday and I just don't know what to do. Apparently the curve is huge (I've talked to people who had this same professor...wish I would have done this BEFORE taking him) but he doesn't give us a good idea of where we are standing in terms of our grade.

I'm truly considering dropping this class and retaking in the spring. Apparently it's ridiuclous easy with the other professor. I'm applying next year though so this would mean I would have to take the second section of physics in the summer which isn't ideal, but doable.

I guess my question is how terrible does a W look to vet schools? I've heard mixed things...and it makes me nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get below a C in a prereq, you will have to retake it. A W would be much better this. In your explanation statement, make sure you say more than you didn't like the teacher as your reason to drop.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely take the W. A W doesn't impact your GPA, while a grade does. It's a lot easier to make up for the W for that very reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
W_Lecture_-1.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Like everyone else has said, take a W if you are in danger of getting below a C. It sucks retaking a course either way but its worse when you fail or almost fail the class as that will hurt your GPA, whereas a W won't. Maybe take it during the summer when you can focus more on just that subject.

Passing isn't really the issue...I'm just not sure Im willing to take the C. I might even be able to pull a B (which I would be 100% okay with), it's just I'm so in the dark about where I stand in this class that I don't want to regret not dropping. Plus, the stress alone is just really taking its toll on me mentally...

19 credit hours (all upper level science) + research + working has just proved to be a lot.

Definitely not going to blame the professor for the W. If it comes up in an interview, I'll spin it in a positive light but I was kind of under the impression that the explanation statement should be used for much bigger things?

@kcoughli I might be able to. It really would just depend on A) who is teaching it--don't want to end up with this same professor again! And B) what the available space in my schedule looks like:)

@kcoughli I might be able to. It really would just depend on A) who is teaching it--don't want to end up with this same professor again! And B) what the available space in my schedule looks like:)

Based on your information, I would withdraw. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate already, and if I remember correctly, Physics builds on previous information so if you aren't getting the material now, you will have to work twice as hard for the rest of the class to catch up. I have a W on my transcript, but when I retook the class I got an A. I put in my explanation statement that I was simply not prepared for the material at the time. I'm not really worried about them flagging it...it's life!

Thanks for the advice everyone. My perfectionistic tendencies made it a hard choice to make, but I decided it was in the best interests if my sanity to take the W. I'll take the class with the other professor next semester and looking at my schedule I probably can take the second half of physics in the spring and not have to do so in the summer.

I'm pretty comfortable with the decision:)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the advice everyone. My perfectionistic tendencies made it a hard choice to make, but I decided it was in the best interests if my sanity to take the W. I'll take the class with the other professor next semester and looking at my schedule I probably can take the second half of physics in the spring and not have to do so in the summer.

I'm pretty comfortable with the decision:)

Don't even worry about it. If it's one or two W's scattered throughout your undergrad, and you have A's in upper division science course, no one will even think twice. Your undergrad is part strategy ;). Because my college situation has bee long and drawn out my classes have been all over the place. Last year I was in upper division Biochem and nutritional biology courses but also still had Bio 182. The legitimately hard classes I was getting A's in but the class average for the first INRODUCTORY Biology class was 62%.

There's no reason, whatsoever for stats like that in a lower level class. So I took the W. Not a chance in hell I was going to let that joke professor ruin my GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
@wheelin2vetmed THIS is exactly where I am at with this Physics course. It was supposed to be my EASY class in the sea of upper level science classes...those classes are all A's right now and Physics is, of course, my stressor. My GPA is pretty high and ruining it with a class that is usually a very easy one (at my school) just depresses me. Taking the W and getting and A next semester just seems like a much better option than getting a C this semester. Plus, more time for research, and my other classes.

Strategy is right;)

I am currently retaking gen Chem ( i had gotten a C in gen Chem the first time around 7 years ago). It is not a prerequisite for my top choice of vet school and I'm wondering if it would look bad to withdraw the course? I did put it on my VMCAS app that it was "planned/in progress". I do not have any W's on my transcript. I'm on the border Of a C and I don't want to end up getting the same grade when I originally took the class. If I do drop it I know I would need to call admissions and let them know and I am worried it might affect my application. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

I am currently retaking gen Chem ( i had gotten a C in gen Chem the first time around 7 years ago). It is not a prerequisite for my top choice of vet school and I'm wondering if it would look bad to withdraw the course? I did put it on my VMCAS app that it was "planned/in progress". I do not have any W's on my transcript. I'm on the border Of a C and I don't want to end up getting the same grade when I originally took the class. If I do drop it I know I would need to call admissions and let them know and I am worried it might affect my application. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

What school doesn't require Gen Chem? I was under the impression that a Gen Chem sequence was required by all schools.

If it really isn't a prerequisite, then you could drop it and take it next semester/summer. At this point, it probably would not affect your application (as long as it really isn't a prerequisite).