Taking a year off after h.s. graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just wanted your inputs as to what you think of delaying a year of college for several reasons 1) to earn money 2) this time you know what schools you have to apply to to get the best scholarships and financial aid 3) gives you more focus so when you go back to college you'll WANT to study hard

these are some reasons why i'm considering to take a year off from college. the main reason being

1) i've realized that i will not be able to get enough financial aid or any scholarships for that matter (i'm just another highly-qualified asian american who's not "hispanic" or "black")

2) with the information i learned about college application this year, i can apply to schools where i stand a chance for great scholarships, special combined programs, better schools that i never considered i had a chance at.

3) it'll give me a chance to visit Pakistan where all my relatives are (that means no one besides my immediate family are in america. so grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles are all in Pakistan) and i haven't been there since 3rd grade.

What do you guys think? I haven't told my parents of this idea yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I will contribute to your list.

4. Score with Hot Chicks. :horns:

I don't think it's a bad idea. You've had 12 years of school so far and many more to come. Take a year off and refresh yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be a great idea as it will give you a new perspective on life. As for the parents, just let them know that by taking a year off, you'll definitely be able to get into a better school. This should pacify them. Good luck!

More people should take time off between hs and college. Do it, and have fun.

I went to Greece to see my relatives after hs. I had the time of my life and I would definatly recommend taking the year off.

Do it. Time away from school enlarges your horizons and helps you figure out what's important to you.

Hey, I would definitely recommend taking some time off after high school if you're planning on using the time to travel to Pakistan. This sounds like a really great idea to me and would knock the socks off of the admissions reader if you talk about your trip in your college application essay. Also, your trip there may increase your chances for a scholarship :thumbup: At the very least it would certainly make you stand out.

On another note, however, I would advise against taking time off to work. Whatever job you get out of high school (unless perhaps you have mad programming skills) is not going to generate a very significant amount of money. I think you'd just be better off taking out student loans. The interest rates are so incredibly low on government loans and you will make much more just out of college than just out of high school. Also, you can defer all your loans until you're finally a doc and brining in some meaningful cash.

Hermit MMood said:
i just wanted your inputs as to what you think of delaying a year of college for several reasons 1) to earn money 2) this time you know what schools you have to apply to to get the best scholarships and financial aid 3) gives you more focus so when you go back to college you'll WANT to study hard

these are some reasons why i'm considering to take a year off from college. the main reason being

1) i've realized that i will not be able to get enough financial aid or any scholarships for that matter (i'm just another highly-qualified asian american who's not "hispanic" or "black")

2) with the information i learned about college application this year, i can apply to schools where i stand a chance for great scholarships, special combined programs, better schools that i never considered i had a chance at.

3) it'll give me a chance to visit Pakistan where all my relatives are (that means no one besides my immediate family are in america. so grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles are all in Pakistan) and i haven't been there since 3rd grade.

What do you guys think? I haven't told my parents of this idea yet.

OP:
Taking time off is a luxury of choice for lucky dudes who can afford it. This kind of activity usually doesn’t benefit immediate generation of immigrants as much. They have already been abroad too often, unless some financial deficit or unfulfilled visa requirement had been keeping them locked up, of course. In your case, regardless of how many trips you do, you probably have seen a lot of this world already as is, in New York, in and outside your house. Besides, when $ is really the main concern, people take time out, not time off. Are you sure that you know which one you are talking about?

You do whatever you want only if it is affordable to you. Otherwise, in case of $ is hard to come by and you have typical Asian or good old first generation immigrating parents who are willing to sacrifice their lives working in exchange for your success in college, you should think it over again. Smart but needy students can always take advantage of their financial misfortune, here. It’s the best place in this world that you can do that. Hang in there for four undergrad years then you are home free with all those loans for medical students. You might want to consider a community college if you would have to. I don’t know anything about NY. But in CA, it costs very little at community college, in town. Smart students can transfer to a UC’s in two years. Then, as a medical student fully supported by parents, you can take out loans much more than you need. Dude, I am talking about at least $35,000-40,000 or more a year. I admit that I don’t know much about financial aid. People always complain of insufficient loan amount. But I know a few dudes from much secured family who get any amount of loan they need. One even gets $4000 of interest-free loan.

Where else in this world that you will make enough $ to replenish your shortage when you can’t do it here?

My rant can’t cover everything. Talk to someone in your community. You might just go to medical school back there in Pakistan. It should be much cheaper. It may be only six years school. You can take time off after graduation to search your soul as a doctor or volunteer during the year that you steal from medical schooling. Good luck, dude. Hope that this is what you are looking for. Sorry, if it does not fit your situation.

Oh, that’s all I have for this thread. You have already made me crazy.

if i had taken time off before college, then i KNOW i would have had time to mature, get over high school burnout and figure out what's important to me. i'll be so bold as to say that i wouldn't have screwed up my first two years of college, which effectively caused me to end up in a post-bac program. long story short, you'll likely save time by taking some time out.

DO IT!! I wanted to do this after high school and my mother threatened that if I didn't go to college right away, she would refuse to contribute anything towards tuition later on. (my mom was a real piece of work at this time in her life.) I always regreted that I didn't ignore her on this one. Just do something meaningful with your time.

I don't think taking time off after high school is a great idea. I am from Pakistan, and after high school, I went for a summer for the first time after 2nd grade. Believe me, that was enough. I didn't feel that I needed to be there for an entire year to miss school.

If the sole reason for taking time off is to have fun and enjoy yourself, then do it after college. Take time off then. When most people enter college, they already spend time fooling around and having fun. It isn't that bad. You can still be doing good in school and having some fun at the side. Freshman courses arent even that tough for most people. The positive thing to this is that you will already have some credits accumulating and it will bring you closer to finishing college. You will have something under your belt and be a step closer.

Taking time off after high school to me just seems like delaying things and further prolonging you becoming a doctor. I think time off after college and before medical school is superior because people know they are almost in medical school, and they are more focused. You also get burned out after taking upperlevel courses in college. Furthermore, knowing that medical school will demand even more out of you could use a little break. Take a year off then and that will pump you up before going to medical school. High school is not that tough, and the summer before high school is enough to get you ready for college.

If your entire reason to take a year off is because you cannot get financial loans due to resident status, then I still would advise to go to a community college like the previous poster mentioned. Get some courses out of the way. It will bring you closer. Then when your status is fixed, start applying for loans and transfer out to a bigger university. Wasting time waiting for your status to get fixed is not worth it.

I really think its best to take time off after college. You are mature then, and will be able to put that year off for good use. You also can do much more independently at that age, than you can right now.

HTH

taking time off after HS doesn't make much sense in most cases/ You shouldn't be burnt-out at this point in your life; if you are, then maybe you should seek professional help.

If you have a burning desire to travel, remember you've got 4 years of summer vacations ahead of you, not to mention winter breaks which are usually 3-4 weeks long at most schools. You won't really grow as a person during your "year off" if you spend your time living with mommy and daddy and visiting your cousins in Pakistan -- only with real independence is that achieved.

If money is a concern, go to a CC and then transfer after 2 years. CC's are easy; you'll be able to get good grades and have time for a job if you need extra cash. You might also think about joining the military; after a few years you'll be able to take advantage of good programs that will pay for school.