Taking a year off, and does it matter which dental school you go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhodes1210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need opinions/help, any amount of feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

1. Is it really that "bad" to take a year off before dental school?

2. Does it matter which dental school I go to? Will it affect me in the future?

Please help me guys, I'm sure other people are thinking these questions as well, but I just don't know who to go and ask for advice. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'm actually in my year off so in my opinion it is not a bad thing to take a year off at all. This is what my pre-health advisor told me and anyone that I talked to who was already in any kind of professional school. Just make sure you make good use of your year off, this is really important. For me, I am working as a Med Tech, as well as a dental assistant. The schools like to see that you are doing something valuable with your time....and this can be anything, be it a job related to the health field of your interest or outreach/community service, shadowing, teaching/tutoring...just make sure its valuable and you can explain it during interviews when you are all done with your application.

And secondly, it doesn't matter in my opinion which dental school you go to...it just depends on what kind of program you're looking for, class size, campus setting etc. Ivy leagues apart from their status don't have a whole lot more to offer towards your dental education...if you really think about it, you know, because in the end, your patients are not gonna ask you where you went to dental school, they just want the best treatment plan possible.

Just my two cents....hope it was somewhat helpful :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am also in my year off right now. I was worried when I was a junior about having to take a year off after graduation, but I was inspired by the only other pre-dent at my school (i went to a small school) to do so. He had a 3.85 with a 22AA, but since he applied late he only got one interview and was pretty much forced into it. The next year he applied to 8 schools and got in to all 8. This inspired me NOT to freak out, first off, I had to take the year off because I hadn't taken biochemistry yet (which I take this spring semester). I decided to work towards getting really great DAT scores, and doing more volunteer/work related things, then ACE that last class in the spring.

I agree with watermelon15. If you make good use of it, then you will be fine. Plus, the first year of dental school is like hell, and now that you have JUST finished college, wouldn't it be nice to relax with the academics for a bit? Just focus on getting good DAT scores pretty soon after graduation (between july and august) (unless you already have good scores then you are totally fine) and enjoy your year!

As for school, no it doesn't matter but go to a state school if you can because OOS is expensive (between 90-120 K a year typically)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also in my year off right now. I was worried when I was a junior about having to take a year off after graduation, but I was inspired by the only other pre-dent at my school (i went to a small school) to do so. He had a 3.85 with a 22AA, but since he applied late he only got one interview and was pretty much forced into it. The next year he applied to 8 schools and got in to all 8. This inspired me NOT to freak out, first off, I had to take the year off because I hadn't taken biochemistry yet (which I take this spring semester). I decided to work towards getting really great DAT scores, and doing more volunteer/work related things, then ACE that last class in the spring.

I agree with watermelon15. If you make good use of it, then you will be fine. Plus, the first year of dental school is like hell, and now that you have JUST finished college, wouldn't it be nice to relax with the academics for a bit? Just focus on getting good DAT scores pretty soon after graduation (between july and august) (unless you already have good scores then you are totally fine) and enjoy your year!

As for school, no it doesn't matter but go to a state school if you can because OOS is expensive (between 90-120 K a year typically)

Thank you for your very much! Anyone else that would want to chime in would be greatly appreciated as well!

It all depends on what you are doing during this year. If you are shadowing a dentist, doing volunteer work, taking a class that will help you as a future dentist, all show a good use of your time.