Taking algebra physics after calculus based physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjt223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I take an algebra based physics after I took calculus based physics. I pass calculus based physics 5 years ago and got a C's at a community college. Now I am at an university, I was able to register myself on algebra based physics. Would medical school count both physics or the one with the higher scores?

Members don't see this ad.

You send AMCAS all of your transcript so I believe both would be factored into your GPAs

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, AMCAS will factor in everything. Why are you taking it again? Personal interest? Study it more before the MCAT? Trying to show improvement in physics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the algebra based. It will help you more for the MCAT than the calculus based anyway.
AMCAS will factor both into your gpa calculations. Though a strong improvement in grades between your UG and your post-bacc will be looked on favorably.

Thank you. I am just taking the classes to prepare for MCAT and plus raised my previous grade.

I would go with calculus based if you really want to learn your stuff. Most of the problem sets will still rely on algebraic solutions, but they will be harder and especially in mechanics, you will become an algebraic manipulation master if you really work at it.

Just my 2 cents... I took mechanics and E&M and scored an 11 on MCAT PS. My strategy is to get really good at the hard stuff, so that the more basic stuff (MCAT physics) comes easier.