Taking an extra year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All

I am graduating this december (2014) which will be a few months after applications for fall 2015 programs start. I wanted to know if i were to take a year off and apply once applications open the summer of 2015 for programs starting in 2016 to gain more shadowing experience and take my time with the OAT if that will harm me in anyway or be questioned by an admissions counselor as to why I took a year off. Anyone with similar paths if you have had this become an issue or a positive experience as well as any comments are welcome. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Would not harm you at all. Gaining more experience and preparing yourself for tests is a perfectly fine reason to take a year off. Spend your year wisely up through your optometry applications. Then once you get accepted, give yourself a well deserved vacation before school starts. :)

I took nearly 2 years off and just explained my situation. As long as you have a legitimate reason (ie OATs, research, other obligations) you should be fine. I think the average age for people who enter is around 23 anyway. As long as youre doing something productive, you should be in the clear. Just dont go on vacation for a year because undergrad burned you out or something haha, that probably isnt a good response :)

But i think if youre taking the year off to study for the OATs and strengthening your application, that should be completely fine. I basically did the same.

yes,i think if youre taking the year off to study for the OATs and strengthening your application, that should be completely fine. I basically did the same.
QwqhZC