taking aug mcat..should I apply to DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has come up before, but I did a search on the subject and did not find the answer I am looking for.

I am taking the aug mcat and reapplying to MD schools. I know this will put me at a disadvantage because of the timing, so even with an awesome mcat score, i might get a bunch of waitlists and NO acceptance.

Let's say I do get NO acceptance. If i try again the next cycle and submit early, there is a high chance that I will do much better.

My question is...should i apply to DO schools this year? I'm afraid that I will get into only DO schools this year even though i might get an acceptance to MD schools if i apply early the cycle after.

note: I have nothing against DO, but my goal is to go into allo derm so i am hoping to attend a MD program.

in case you are wondering...the rest of my application looks fine....3.8+ GPA (from a top public), certified phlebotomist, emt, lots of volunteering, TA...

Members don't see this ad.

just submit your amcas as early as possible. concentrate on the mcats and do well. with your gpa and activities, if you pull a decent mcat score, you'll be fine. if you're sure you want to go to an allopathic school then don't apply DO. there's no point in applying to osteopathic schools if you know you're not going to go. i doubt you'd even have to reapply but it sounds like thats what you would do if you had to choose between reapplying or going to a DO school, so i'd say don't waste the time and money if you know you're not gonna go.

Apply to DO schools if you for sure you would go to one if that was the only school you were accepted to. There are about 20 open osteo derm spots that are open each year just for your info.

If you're for sure set on allo derm, than the MD route is still the best route to take.

PublicEnemy said:
just submit your amcas as early as possible. concentrate on the mcats and do well. with your gpa and activities, if you pull a decent mcat score, you'll be fine. if you're sure you want to go to an allopathic school then don't apply DO. there's no point in applying to osteopathic schools if you know you're not going to go. i doubt you'd even have to reapply but it sounds like thats what you would do if you had to choose between reapplying or going to a DO school, so i'd say don't waste the time and money if you know you're not gonna go.

thanks for the quick reply!!! I'm thinking about applying to DO because of several reasons. First, after getting 25+ rejections last cycle from MD schools, my confidence took a hit. Perhaps, I am not good enough for MD schools. If that's the case, I'd be happy to attend DO schools (I don't care how I get there, as long as I am doing I like...practice medicine).

Secondly, I come from a low income family and my parents are approaching retiring age. I need to move on with my life, finish school, and earn enough to support my parents. Sitting out another year so I can apply early to MD schools can make a big difference.

it saddens me that I know exactly what i want to do, but because of factors i cannot control, I have to do something else.