Taking biochem and psych for the new MCAT (2015)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Biochemistry and Psychology aren't part of my major's curriculum; however, I heard that the aforementioned topics will be on the new MCAT. For those of you taking the MCAT in 2015 and beyond, are you all looking to take these extra couple of classes? I mean, it couldn't hurt, right?

Members don't see this ad.

I took most of them already. Plus, taking Biochem isn't a bad idea anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I took most of them already. Plus, taking Biochem isn't a bad idea anyway.

What about an intro to psych? I took AP Psychology in HS, but that was years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sociology, Biochemistry, and Psychology are all being tested, in addition to the original material? I didn't know about the Sociology.

Sociology, Biochemistry, and Psychology are all being tested, in addition to the original material? I didn't know about the Sociology.
The idea is to test on behavioral sciences, which Sociology also falls under.

The idea is to test on behavioral sciences, which Sociology also falls under.

I see. I never took a Sociology class, though. Should I consider it, or will an MCAT prep book fill me in on what I need to know?

I see. I never took a Sociology class, though. Should I consider it, or will an MCAT prep book fill me in on what I need to know?
Honestly not sure at this point. Sociology isn't too terribly difficult, so you may be able to self study for it, but until the first exam is released we really don't know.

Right now my plan is to take Biochem before the MCAT, anatomy and physiology before matriculation.

Sociology I might take if it turns out its required to do well. Otherwise, I'll self study.

Some biochem exposure before med school is useful anyway, and some schools require/highly recommend taking Biochem.

Some biochem exposure before med school is useful anyway, and some schools require/highly recommend taking Biochem.

Taking a good biochem class before med school will really help. I took an on-line, summer biochem course and got an A, but I ended up not retaining any of the information and it showed during my biochem block.