Taking care of terminally ill mother 24/7 while in school..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilliamC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a 23 year old who is almost done with transfer credits from a Community College to a UC. I will be majoring in Biochemistry-Microbiology. I currently am getting straight A's in all of my classes (Gen Chem, Anatomy, Cell Bio, Calc, Physics). I plan on taking the MCAT one year after I transfer.

I started college relatively late after high school, however I have opened my own cafe in that time, which was a huge endeavor for a 19-22 year old. Also, I have always taken care of my mother who is suffering from a degenerative motor neuron disease (PLS). She is completely bed bound and 99% dependent on me for daily needs.

I am beginning to do some research at my University, but because I take care of my mother most of the time outside of class, I have no time for volunteer/shadowing/extracurriculars. My question is, would this be a hindrance in applying to Med school one day, or will it count as clinical experience?

Thank you

William

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear about your mother's illness.
I had an ill parent when I applied to med school as well. My experience was that while it was something a lot of interviewers asked about and it made my motivations for wanting to go to med school clear, they didn't seem to really view it as "clinical experience". I think they would expect you to have some more formal volunteer activities too.
I know it's tough to balance a family member's needs with trying to jump through the hoops, but I hope it all works out for you.

Hello all,

I am a 23 year old who is almost done with transfer credits from a Community College to a UC. I will be majoring in Biochemistry-Microbiology. I currently am getting straight A's in all of my classes (Gen Chem, Anatomy, Cell Bio, Calc, Physics). I plan on taking the MCAT one year after I transfer.

I started college relatively late after high school, however I have opened my own cafe in that time, which was a huge endeavor for a 19-22 year old. Also, I have always taken care of my mother who is suffering from a degenerative motor neuron disease (PLS). She is completely bed bound and 99% dependent on me for daily needs.

I am beginning to do some research at my University, but because I take care of my mother most of the time outside of class, I have no time for volunteer/shadowing/extracurriculars. My question is, would this be a hindrance in applying to Med school one day, or will it count as clinical experience?

Thank you

William
>

I just wanted to encourage you, and say that what you are doing is good. Whether or not it counts on your resume is irrelevant. I moved my mother in with me when she was diagnosed w/ stage 4 colon cancer- her metastases were significant, and she lived only 4 weeks. I did "all" of it too. She passed as I was positioning her up in bed. It's a big deal when your mother dies, it's a big deal to be the primary one responsible for the ADLs, and it's a big deal to be with anyone in their moment of death.

You won't get a chance to do over how you spend these final weeks/months, and the good/bad of that experience will live with you forever. Be ready for the experience to mess with your head a little. There is also much to do when someone dies (estate stuff) so if you are the executor, you're going to have a busy year.

It's hard, it's worth it, and you are probably stressed by the burden and conflicted by the obligation. I felt that way too, so, mainly I just wanted to tell you that what you are doing is good for YOU and good for HER. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't think it counts as clinical experience which is essentially what you asked. I was in a similar situation - my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, which was treated and went into remission for a year, before she had metastases to her liver, lungs, bones (mainly spine) and brain, and eventually passed in 2007 (after living with cancer for eight years).

It's more of a companion role I would say than clinical experience, all though at times I did some clinical type things and was functioning as a primary caregiver as my mom's condition deteriorated, like administering injections, sometimes through her port, and some other things. Still, it can be helpful and it can be a strong motivating factor for wanting to pursue medicine when a loved one goes through a life-threatening illness or degenerative disease, and that is usually clear with how you present yourself, especially if you mention it in your personal statement - that is a good time to address it. However, it's not an excuse for a lack of clinical experience.

I can also relate to your story (I have an ill mother) I no longer take care of her because when I was taking care of her I didn't have time for anything else (only working to support/pay bills and school part time). I think that medical schools want to see that you were able to juggle it all. While patient care is highly valued they want to see this accross all areas of your life. Take at least 1 day per week to volunteer at a hospital. You will NEED to shadow and know what a physician does on a daily basis to be considered. Show them you can do it all. Or take your time/break if you need to because it is never to late to follow your dream later in life (i'm 28). I'm sure everything will work out.

Unless you are applying right now, I would keep doing what you're doing. The number one thing you need to apply is to keep your GPA very high. The rest can happen later. You're very young, you have tons of time, and you have the most acceptable reason on the planet to delay applying. For now, focus on your mom and your grades and a great MCAT. Once you hit a place where you can make a little time, find opportunities for clinical experience. Find a physician you could shadow while you're on winter break. If your mom may have a lot of time, maybe another relative could care for her and you could join a medical mission overseas for a couple of weeks. If she doesn't have a lot of time, then wait. You have lots of time. It may not feel that way, but you do. I wasn't even taking my prereqs till I was 26.

A lot of the organized volunteer activities (hospitals, etc) want you to commit to a minimum of 6 mos and 20 hours a month. If my mom were terminally ill, there is no way I would tell someone I could commit to that.

Try to find a mentor somewhere near you to help keep you grounded. :luck:

I totally forgot about this thread...and that is why it has been a year since I came back on.

I just wanted to say to all who replied, thank you for the wishes and I am truly sorry for your own experiences with ailing loved ones. It is a tough road.

Mom has been getting visibly worse, so more time needed for care. My GPA has gone down a bit, but I'm applying for UC in the fall anyways. I have gotten into a cadaver dissection program at my school, and it's amazing. I think I want to be a surgeon (if I get into med school one day!). I also will be working on making an anatomy atlas to be published for the school. I'm excited.

Good luck to you all! :)