Taking Cell Bio and genetic simultaneously

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For next semester, I registered for:

Cell bio
Genetic
Spanish composition
Adv spanish grammar
Thermodynamic(CHem E engineer, thats why I am taking it)

I am fine with taking two Spanish classes since I am already good at Spanish and they will focus on grammar things.
However, now I think taking cell bio and genetic might be a bit too time consuming...thoughts? I can drop it anytime now because there is still time til next semester. I heard cell bio and genetic have many overlapping topics. Will that help making the workload easier?

Members don't see this ad.

Do they have associated labs?

Your schedule as presented is very manageable, by my estimation.

my friend is taking cell bio and genetics right now. There is a lot of overlap so that will be helpful. As long as you manage your time, you should be ok!

Members don't see this ad :)
It honestly depends on how difficult they are at your school. Taking them together at one school may be entirely different than taking them together at another. I suggest asking upperclassmen at your school what they think.

As far as the material overlaps, I thought they were fairly different courses, at least at my school. Obviously certain skills, such as being able to interpret experimental data, will be essential to both courses, but the actual information covered was quite different. This, however, may be different from the situation at your school, which is why I advise talking to older students at your own institution.

In my uni, they're both writing intensive classes, so I wouldn't do it. Ask people who have taken class. That'll be a better judgement than SDN.

For next semester, I registered for:

Cell bio
Genetic
Spanish composition
Adv spanish grammar
Thermodynamic(CHem E engineer, thats why I am taking it)

I am fine with taking two Spanish classes since I am already good at Spanish and they will focus on grammar things.
However, now I think taking cell bio and genetic might be a bit too time consuming...thoughts? I can drop it anytime now because there is still time til next semester. I heard cell bio and genetic have many overlapping topics. Will that help making the workload easier?
Cell bio did not overlap with genetics at my university, but it did overlap with biochemistry.

What year are you? You should be able to handle 2 upper-level bio classes, especially if you aren't concerned about Spanish.

Reactions: 1 user
cell bio and biochem overlap a lot, for my school as well.
Genetics was way different, had a lot of vocab you had to swim through.
But like everyone said, check with your schools. Best idea would be to get your hands on the syllabus. Why not email the professors ?

Only topic I saw overlap was replication/transcription between genetics/cell bio.
However my school seems to think they overlap enough, because they combined the labs of cell bio + genetics into one o_O

Why do people here panic so much about science classes? If you cant do 2 sciences at once what is med school supposed to be???

No one is in a panic. People come here to seek advice. Its always best to learn from other people's mistakes.

No one is in a panic. People come here to seek advice. Its always best to learn from other people's mistakes.

Yeah, but people should probably seek advice from students or advisors at their own schools who would have a better idea about the specific classes in question. I never understand why some people try to use SDN to replace the resources at their school. Why would we know the answers to these questions?

Yeah, but people should probably seek advice from students or advisors at their own schools who would have a better idea about the specific classes in question. I never understand why some people try to use SDN to replace the resources at their school. Why would we know the answers to these questions?

I specifically posted about taking physics 2 between two professors. I gave SDN the details behind each and asked them who they would take, on a very superficial level. The advice I was given I took, got an A+ in Physics II, and avoided a disaster that was 40% averages on the test in the other class.

I get what you are saying but some of these classes go over kinda the same material. Will a 3000 level cell biology class dive deep into what a 4000 molecular genetics of the cell class do ? No. This is where SDN is helpful. Looking at a schedule at making some generalizations on the difficulty of a semester.
I think people read these posts as "what will be on the exam in this class I am taking?" When people are just saying "give me some general info". Its a good idea to get specifics from your school and get information about the general here. The two combined can really give you an informed decision.

When I choose for physics, I read the syllabus of each class, I sat in on both lectures during first week, and then I ultimately compiled everyone's consensus on SDN + friends, and asked myself what I would do.

the same can be said about asking stupid people if an easy class was hard. Or asking extremely smart people if a hard class was easy.
Both of these have a bias. you do your best to sift through it all.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have been really busy so couldn't reply fast.

Thanks for the replies :)
Cell bio did not overlap with genetics at my university, but it did overlap with biochemistry.

What year are you? You should be able to handle 2 upper-level bio classes, especially if you aren't concerned about Spanish.
I am a sophomore, but will be junior next semester