Taking Class to Challenge yourself vs. Easy Class for the A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugh2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys feel about premeds who take classes to challenge themselves at the potential expense of a good grade vs those who take classes for the easy A?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can take a challenging class and you know you can handle, do it. Competent adcomss will notice when one is attempting to receive minimal effort A's; this is not beneficial for anyone's application.

@AlfonsTheGuru how do they know? I am taking a light course load just for next semester for MCATs. Should I be worried?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the times the "easy A" classes, when looked at within the context of your major and other classes on your transcript, will be random and low level classes, at least that's what it seems at my university. Ideally you should be taking some classes that challenge you and end up with an A to show you can handle the rigor of medical school.

If getting into medical school is your #1 goal in life take the easy class 100/100 times.

Some people find issue with this, I do not.

Reactions: 15 users
If getting into medical school is your #1 goal in life take the easy class 100/100 times.

Some people find issue with this, I do not.
You really don't think Adcoms are going to notice if you have B's in Ochem, Gen Chem, etc. yet A's in ecology??

You really don't think Adcoms are going to notice if you have B's in Ochem, Gen Chem, etc. yet A's in ecology??
I'm actually curious about this myself.

While a good GPA is paramount, if you have no classes that show you have at least challenged yourself a little, I feel that would lead to some adcoms questioning your class choice.

I honestly don't think they have time to notice your individual courses outside of science GPA. Since AMCAS says to list courses exactly as transcript its hard to tell which class is which
All of those classes are part of your sGPA. I have friends who literally have straight-B's in most prereqs, yet fluffed the hell out of their sGPA with ecology and "research" classes so they landed around a 3.5. Are you telling me this won't be noticed? :laugh:

I honestly don't think they have time to notice your individual courses outside of science GPA. Since AMCAS says to list courses exactly as transcript its hard to tell which class is which
If not in the initial look at your AMCAS, I can almost guarantee an interviewer who is going to conduct an open file interview would notice the descrepancies and ask about them during in interview.

My biochem prof, the one told me to DRAW, said that if I wanted the easy A in biochem that he was not that choice.

However, if I wanted to be set for genetics, MCAT AND med school, he was the choice.

I took him and got a solid, exemplary LOR. Plus, he is my mentor for life, my strongest supporter.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm actually curious about this myself.
People might actually like ecology. Nothing the adcoms can say about that. At the end of the day if you can get an A in ecology, the benefit far outweighs whatever moral superiority some BMEs think they have.

While a good GPA is paramount, if you have no classes that show you have at least challenged yourself a little, I feel that would lead to some adcoms questioning your class choice.
Well there are the pre-reqs that everyone has to take, y'know....

Reactions: 1 users
People might actually like ecology. Nothing the adcoms can say about that. At the end of the day if you can get an A in ecology, the benefit far outweights whatever moral superiority some BMEs think they have.

Well there are the pre-reqs that everyone has to take, y'know....
I was more asking if they would be like "oh, his sGPA doesn't reflect his ability. He hasn't gotten A's in any 'real' science classes."

One guy I'm thinking of in particular earned B's in all of the pre-reqs with one exception in first semester gen chem I believe. Yet, he has taken over a dozen ecology classes and 40 "research" units of A's, so he has above a 3.5.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a third year dying for my chance to apply, I'm taking the easy A. I've worked hard enough.

I was more asking if they would be like "oh, his sGPA doesn't reflect his ability. He hasn't gotten A's in any 'real' science classes."

One guy I'm thinking of in particular earned B's in all of the pre-reqs with one exception in first semester gen chem I believe. Yet, he has taken over a dozen ecology classes and 40 "research" units of A's, so he has above a 3.5.
Well anecdotally I haven't gotten any A's in "real" science classes. sGPA purely the result of GPA padding and AMCAS games. No one has mentioned it at all. Sure I'm strong in other areas but my pre req-gpa is 2.9. sGPA 3.5. I'll take a .6 boost at any cost.

Well anecdotally I haven't gotten any A's in "real" science classes. sGPA purely the result of GPA padding and AMCAS games. No one has mentioned it at all. Sure I'm strong in other areas but my pre req-gpa is 2.9. sGPA 3.5. I'll take a .6 boost at any cost.
Well, to be fair, you are a rockstar in just about every other area. But yeah, you would think that Harvard would pay a little closer attention:p

No offense, you are clearly a brilliant guy, but I have a hard time believing that Adcoms like @gyngyn and @mimelim are so easily fooled...

I have a 3.7 science gpa and 3.8 overall. My easy semester has upper level so no 100 level courses so how can they know?

Well, to be fair, you are a rockstar in just about every other area. But yeah, you would think that Harvard would pay a little closer attention:p
No offense, you are clearly a brilliant guy, but I have a hard time believing that Adcoms like @gyngyn and @mimelim are so easily fooled...
The point I'm trying to make is that getting an A in ecology isn't...bad. Considering adcoms don't even care what you major in, I highly doubt a few "easier" science electives would be like "OMG what a cheater."

I have a 3.7 science gpa and 3.8 overall. My easy semester has upper level so no 100 level courses so how can they know?
Chill man, you're fine

The point I'm trying to make is that getting an A in ecology isn't...bad. Considering adcoms don't even care what you major in, I highly doubt a few "easier" science electives would be like "OMG what a cheater."
Absolutely. I was specifyically referring to large-scale, blatant grade padding via research and other "easy" courses. And I'm not criticizing you, I'm just trying to understand how context is interpreted by admissions commitees.

Absolutely. I was specifyically referring to large-scale, blatant grade padding via research and other "easy" courses. And I'm not criticizing you, I'm just trying to understand how context is interpreted by admissions commitees.
Apparently there is no context most of the time. They just want to see 3.7+ and 31+ and every thing else is on the periphery.

And Adcom members get butthurt when premeds treat this process like a game...

40 research credits???? Well yeah that's a pretty extreme example

For many schools there are a lot of upper level courses that sound difficult and are on medically related topics that simply just aren't that difficult to get As often due to the professor just not wanting to make things as cutthroat be it something like an upper level neuro synaptic plasticity course, developmental bio, vertebrae morphology, an upper level biology of aging and cognition course etc. We always hear of how upward trends are key for those who don't have great gpas. Well for those people often what caused the poor grades were their first two years when they took their pre reqs. So yes I do think upper level science courses can redeem mediocre pre req grades to a fair extent particularly with this shift towards competency based admissions. I know gonnif has talked about how ochem isn't looked at nearly the be all end all and given the same weight it was 10-20 years ago as an example. But the example you cited, yeah that might be blatant lol

Wait, I totally glossed over that. Your schools gives you A/B/C/D grades for credited research??? WTFFFFF

Wait, I totally glossed over that. Your schools gives you A/B/C/D grades for credited research??? WTFFFFF

Lol I actually got a B one semester in research so not such a great gpa booster always

For many schools there are a lot of upper level courses that sound difficult and are on medically related topics that simply just aren't that difficult to get As often due to the professor just not wanting to make things as cutthroat be it something like an upper level neuro synaptic plasticity course, developmental bio, vertebrae morphology, an upper level biology of aging and cognition course etc. We always hear of how upward trends are key for those who don't have great gpas. Well for those people often what caused the poor grades were their first two years when they took their pre reqs. So yes I do think upper level science courses can redeem mediocre pre req grades particularly with this shift towards competency based admissions. I know gonnif has talked about how ochem isn't looked at nearly the be all end all and given the same weight it was 10-20 years ago as an example. But the example you cited, yeah that might be blatant lol
40 quarter units. Dude, it's par for the course at the UCs believe me lol. Actually, a lot of the time we are required to take research for credit for red tape reasons.

Most of my friends took 5 units a quarter for at least a year. 95% of the time it is an automatic A (at my school at least.)

40 quarter units. Dude, it's par for the course at the UCs believe me lol. Actually, a lot of the time we are required to take research for credit for red tape reasons.

Interesting. I know my and many other schools have limits on how many research credits you can take. Oh well more food for thought next time we have one of our weekly grade inflation/deflation threads at specific schools!

Interesting. I know my and many other schools have limits on how many research credits you can take. Oh well more food for thought next time we have one of our weekly grade inflation/deflation threads at specific schools!
There are caps in the sense that after so many units you have to give presentations, write review articles, submit your work for publication, etc.

Twiddling your thumbs and playing Candy Crush isn't going to fly with most PIs.

I'm in favor of taking the classes you want to take, challenging or not. In the end, you might change your mind and not even end up applying to med school. So why not take the opportunity to study the things you're most interested in while you have the chance? You'll probably do better in those classes anyway.

Challenge, every time. I think I am a better student for it. I have managed to maintain a 3.9X GPA but at the cost of working essentially every day minus a couple of hours for food and leisure time and a couple of extra leisure hours on weekend evenings for friends. I think the ideal premed is a student first and a premed second, but that's just my opinion, I realize most people dont care as much as I do about most things.

I guess this is weird but I do much better in challenging classes because I actually go to class/study rather than cramming for a couple hours before an easy test

@efle Doesn't WUSTL do the "automatic A for research thing" too?

Nah, WUSTL is too sadistic for that.

I can slowly see this turning into another inflation vs deflation debate... awesome!

Just kidding

I'd rather pork a polar bear in a phone booth than do that again.

Protect you GPA at all costs. Yes we would all love to take challenging courses and learn lots of interesting things, but unfortunately the "system" does not provide or really encourage this thirst for pure knowledge, unfortunately :(

Or my Personal Favorite: take the challenging courses, push yourself to perform at a superior level and get an A in the course. You are paying for your education, get the most you can out of it.

EASY CLASS FOR THE A
I'm telling you this as a BME major at one of the prestigious and demanding engineering institution in the us currently struggling for even a b+.

Research for credits is pass/fail only

I essentially take the same stance as MD-2020 that this ridiculous premed game makes it completely valid to chase easy grades, even if you have a high GPA after prereqs and it's just to free up more time. Though I think I number among the people most disgusted that this is the case. It's ****ed up that choosing to surround yourself with very academically strong peers, exploring classes outside your comfort zone, or taking very time intensive upper levels (neurophysiology lab stands out in my memory) can really put you at a disadvantage

Reactions: 2 users
MCAT is the great equalizer.

What's the verdict for someone who did excellent on the MCAT and took easy classes along the way purely for the sake of GPA padding?

I essentially take the same stance as MD-2020 that this ridiculous premed game makes it completely valid to chase easy grades, even if you have a high GPA after prereqs and it's just to free up more time. Though I think I number among the people most disgusted that this is the case. It's ****ed up that choosing to surround yourself with very academically strong peers, exploring classes outside your comfort zone, or taking very time intensive upper levels (neurophysiology lab stands out in my memory) can really put you at a disadvantage

I honestly don't care what others do. I just take whatever classes I feel like it, be it easy or hard. If people want to take easy classes along the way, good for them.

What's the verdict for someone who did excellent on the MCAT and took easy classes along the way purely for the sake of GPA padding?
Me.

Like...literally.

High GPA>rigor 9 out of 10 times. Adcoms would rather have an art history major with a 3.8 than an engineering major with a 3.4, so long as both took the prereqs.

But if you take that path and dont get the most out of the only period in your life when your only responsibility is to be a student then is it really worth it? Is it not better to sacrifice the sleep, fun, time etc and challenge yourself and try your best to succeed?

High GPA>rigor 9 out of 10 times. Adcoms would rather have an art history major with a 3.8 than an engineering major with a 3.4, so long as both took the prereqs.

Engineering majors bring much more practical value to medicine than art history majors even despite the GPA significance. I doubt adcoms would be quick to dismiss the engineering major for having a low GPA.