Taking Grad Course in Molecular Mech. of Disease: Anyone Want to Participate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDforMee

Sweet Cheeks
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, a professor is willing to let me audit his graduate course in Molecular Mechanisms of Human Disease, and I'm going to be able to participate by reading/presenting research and doing discussions with the grad students.

Are any of you interested in getting powerpoints, slides, or contributing to discussions with your thoughts on research? You can send it to me, and I can present it, myself. You can do this if you have proxy access to journal articles through your University, where you can read what we're doing and match that with the slides from our presentations and discussions. Then, you can forward your thoughts to me.

Really, what I'm after is this: I want to try and talk the professor into forming an informal discussion group where I can coordinate relations between him and people like you (premeds), so that more people get exposure to this type of material.

It doesn't make any sense that some of the best resources (and minds in the country) for cancer research, neurological diseases, cardiovascular diseases, etc will be secluded within a room of 15 people, and similarly, I think that it's a shame that undergrads and premeds don't get exposed to courses like this; effectively, this is how we'll be learning and staying up to date with research when we go into medicine -- group seminars, independent research, presentations on research, etc.

I've taken grad courses like this, before, and have gotten a lot out of them. In fact, I think that they're more valuable than doing "research" itself since really what you're doing is reading journal articles and presenting them to a class. You have to know those journal articles cold to give a presentation, and believe me, it isn't easy talking about higher level biochemistry when you're an undergrad in front of esteemed types of people in the field. You also have to collaborate with grad students and professors, and use the research you've been researching to try and approach novel scientific types of inquiries and what have you. In essence, you're creating new research, and trying to solve problems. That's what research is for.

I've gained a lot of experience by doing it before in grad classes like genomics and molecular biology. This beats out cleaning test tubes in someone's dingy lab and trying to leech your way onto a paper's author list ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. I now know med school professors, can coordinate with other labs at different research campuses (Harbor-UCLA), and have exposure to the climate of graduate studies, which, dare I say, is leaps and bounds ahead of what you're exposed to in undergrad labs and lectures.

Anyhow, if you're interested, look into arranging proxy access to journal servers so that you can view journal articles and research beforehand. If you can't, I'd be breaking copyright law in forwarding you articles.

Here's the course description:
http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/schedule/subdet.aspx?srs=680312200&term=12F&session=

Course Description: (Same as Molecular, Cellular, and Integrative Physiology M252A.) Lecture, four hours. Preparation: prior satisfactory molecular biology coursework. Corequisite: course M252B. Fundamental concepts and methodologies in modern biology, with emphasis on implications and relevance to human disease and integration of biology with mechanisms underlying disease development and applications in therapy as they apply to cancer biology, infectious disease, and modern biological approaches. Letter grading.
GE Status: Not a GE course
Units: 4.0
Grading Detail: Letter grade Only
Enforced Requisites: None
Impacted Class: No
Enrollment Restrictions:
1. GRADUATE STUDENTS

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Come on, guys.

Do you want to be doctors, or what?

I'd assume that this WOULD look good on your applications to med school...

"I collaborated with noted Professor Emeritus, Department Chair for Graduate Studies, David Geffen School of Medicine, on seeking novel cancer treatment modalities through advanced molecular mechanisms..."

"I read X (number) of research papers, discovering how scientists in the field are matching genetic markers of cardiovascular disease to the histone code, the newest, and most promising area of research..."

... so on and so forth

I'm busy enough with my own classes and research and assume it's the same for others

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds more like you're looking to put something like this on your own application: "Founded and ran an intercollegiate forum discussing current research topics, blah blah blah."

Contrary to your cynical view of undergraduate research, many people actually have meaningful research experiences. No class, seminar, or journal club is going to be better at teaching research skills and critical thinking than personally conducting a research project. There are plenty of undergrads who are able to publish without having to "leech their way onto an author list."

It's great to challenge yourself with graduate courses, but I think you're somewhat putting it on a pedestal. Auditing definitely reduces the significance of taking a course as you're not required to do anything and there's no evaluation.

No one is going to participate because this is an anonymous forum, and thus they don't know you. For all they know, you'll just plagiarize their opinions to brownnose your professor.

^^^^^ a little harsh :(

OP, it seems interesting! I don't have time at the moment to look into it more tho, I'll be more free tomorrow and if I'm still interested I could pm you?

im interested in seeing these powerpoints, but that's about all

It sounds more like you're looking to put something like this on your own application: "Founded and ran an intercollegiate forum discussing current research topics, blah blah blah."

Contrary to your cynical view of undergraduate research, many people actually have meaningful research experiences. No class, seminar, or journal club is going to be better at teaching research skills and critical thinking than personally conducting a research project. There are plenty of undergrads who are able to publish without having to "leech their way onto an author list."

It's great to challenge yourself with graduate courses, but I think you're somewhat putting it on a pedestal. Auditing definitely reduces the significance of taking a course as you're not required to do anything and there's no evaluation.

No one is going to participate because this is an anonymous forum, and thus they don't know you. For all they know, you'll just plagiarize their opinions to brownnose your professor.

:thumbdown:

Yeah, buddy!

^^^^^ a little harsh :(

OP, it seems interesting! I don't have time at the moment to look into it more tho, I'll be more free tomorrow and if I'm still interested I could pm you?

No problemo. PM me whenever.

Closing thread as it appears to simply be a semester-long homework help thread. Also, most professors do not allow their Powerpoints to be freely shared as they consider it a copyright violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.