Taking MCAT too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Airik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a former post-baccalaureatte student that finished in Summer 2008. I took the Summer 2009 MCAT and got a 25Q (8VR, 9PS, 8BS). My GPA is about 3.3 BCPM and 3.7 overall. I didn't feel the MCAT scores were competitive enough to apply (right?), so I held off.

I've been studying and had every intention to take a late-May MCAT this year so I could submit my AMCAS right away when it opens in May and have an early advantage. Scores would be released right after AMCAS verification was complete; it would have been perfect. Problem being, every test center in my state is filled until mid August!

So my question is will I be at a huge disadvantage taking that August test date (scores released in late September)? I'd still submit my AMCAS right now in May, and everything besides the MCAT score (letters, etc) is done and can be submitted right away. I really can't put off applying yet another year. I'm even considering flying to another state to take the test earlier if I really have to.

What do you guys think? Thanks. :)

EDIT: Alternatively, do you think I should instead just try applying early (right away in May) with my 25Q from last summer? Florida resident, by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm a former post-baccalaureatte student that finished in Summer 2008. I took the Summer 2009 MCAT and got a 25Q (8VR, 9PS, 8BS). My GPA is about 3.3 BCPM and 3.7 overall. I didn't feel the MCAT scores were competitive enough to apply (right?), so I held off.

I've been studying and had every intention to take a late-May MCAT this year so I could submit my AMCAS right away when it opens in May and have an early advantage. Scores would be released right after AMCAS verification was complete; it would have been perfect. Problem being, every test center in my state is filled until mid August!

So my question is will I be at a huge disadvantage taking that August test date (scores released in late September)? I'd still submit my AMCAS right now in May, and everything besides the MCAT score (letters, etc) is done and can be submitted right away. I really can't put off applying yet another year. I'm even considering flying to another state to take the test earlier if I really have to.

What do you guys think? Thanks. :)

EDIT: Alternatively, do you think I should instead just try applying early (right away in May) with my 25Q from last summer? Florida resident, by the way.

I'm in the same situation as you but this is my first time applying. From what I understand, the earlier you apply and submit a completed application, the better your chances. However, it is wayyyyyyyy more important to do well on the MCAT then to rush to take the test. I would say taking the MCAT any later than mid July (I'm signed up for the 16th) and you will start to have some serious problems in terms of being "late". If you take the MCAT July 29 or later, you can basically guarantee that you will not be accepted for this application cycle. Are there exceptions? Of course. The only people who can successfully get away with taking the MCAT July 29 or later are "exceptional" applicants that these schools wait for. Also keep in mind that the majority of schools have a computer that eliminates applicants based on GPA and MCAT cut offs and prioritizes interviews based on that as well.

P.S. Do NOT apply with a 25Q, you will get rejected by almost every school. You definitely need to retake it because your 3.3 is pretty low as well. Make sure to look 2 weeks before a test date on the AAMC website becuase seats always open up after people realize they're not going to be ready.

Thanks LegitBoss4Life. To clarify, it's my first time applying to Med School as well; I had never submitted that AMCAS with my 25Q.

Either way, as if by some *amazing* stroke of luck, I checked the MCAT registration system just now and a single spot at a testing center on May 27th (the day I was originally planning for) was open!! I snatched it right up!

Considering that not one of the 16 testing centers in my whole state had an opening until late July, I'm counting my blessings that it opened up and is only 30 minutes from my house! Phew, I can breathe again! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Legisboss, is it really that they won't accept students who take MCAT later than July 16. I'm thinking about moving my MCAT date to July or August because I am currently scoring about 29-30 with a GPA of about 3.4 with all A's for my pre-req science courses. Is it better with an MCAT of 36 taken in August or a 33 taken in July?

Don't listen to what LegitBoss4Life said. Yes, it is true that its better to apply earlier, but this advantage is often overstated. It is MUCH more important to get a good score but don't be discourage by taking the MCAT in July or even August.

Don't listen to what LegitBoss4Life said. Yes, it is true that its better to apply earlier, but this advantage is often overstated. It is MUCH more important to get a good score but don't be discourage by taking the MCAT in July or even August.

Trust me, DO NOT take the MCAT in August. These schools start making decisions about who to give an interview to in August. If you take the MCAT in August, you won't have your application in until September which is very late. My friend took the MCAT in August, got a 37, and got wait listed everywhere and ended up having to reapply. Applying early may be a little overrated if your a qualified applicant, but applying late places you in a very precarious situation.

Legisboss, is it really that they won't accept students who take MCAT later than July 16. I'm thinking about moving my MCAT date to July or August because I am currently scoring about 29-30 with a GPA of about 3.4 with all A's for my pre-req science courses. Is it better with an MCAT of 36 taken in August or a 33 taken in July?

33 in July. Anything above a 32 is viewed about the same until you get to the 37-39 range and 40+. It also depends on where you are trying to apply. If your sights are set on Harvard, go for the 36 but understand you will be late. If your sights are set on a state school/upper to middle tier, 33 is more than enough so at that point you want to just get your application in.

Airik, you should just sign up for the August date and then check aamc every day to see if you can reschedule for an earlier testing date. People are going to start dropping like crazy as it gets closer to their scheduled time, and you will be able to just swoop it up. I live in nyc, and all testing sites in May were filled, but a couple of days ago, a spot opened up in Manhattan. You just need to be dilligent about checking aamc. If you still wanted to take in May, I would think it's still a very good possibility that you would be able to do so because people are allowed to drop up to two weeks prior to their testing dates. Good luck!

just a bit of advice from my own experience...last summer i had the wonderful opportunity (ugh) of taking both a May and an August MCAT...because I had one set of scores, albeit bad scores, I was still able to submit all of my apps...you can do the same and notify the schools of your plan to retake...

i have no doubt that my late second score hurt me at some schools, but many interview invites and acceptances later i say wait until you are comfortable, get a good score, but make sure your AMCAS is written, verified, etc. early...PM me if you have any more questions

Hi.

I'm new to this forum and would like some feedback/advice. I just graduated from UF with a bachelors in Nutritional sciences. My overall GPA is 3.82, sci is about 3.65. I took the MCAT once in September 2009 and did not score well. I'm planning to take it again on June 17th, 2010. I have not been studying throughout this last semester (due to intense course load and extra responsibilities in research and at home), I wanted to find out if I should apply early (as in before May ends/early June) with a 23O and let them know I'll be taking it again or should I wait to submit? Is there a difference in waiting for my score and then apply if I have a previous score?

I haven't looked at material in a long while and plan to study nonstop until the June test date. I'm contemplating moving the date to July (but is that too risky?) if I'm not prepared enough come June. Would I be too late if I do this?

My thought was to study and start the application tomorrow but should I submit it early? Since I had my first MCAT scored, I have to report it, right? Is it possible to submit the app without releasing that score and tell them I'm planning to take it in June? I know that they will see all scored MCATs but I wanted to clarify.

I know that my combo of GPA and MCAT is not great at all so any advice would help. :confused: