Taking my MCAT at the end of October...what do you think my chance are of..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
being successful in securing another spot for the 2014 MCAT later? All spots are taken presently however I know some will (possibly) open up when people get their scores back and are satisfied so they will cancel their reservations.

Slim shot? Decent shot? I'm not sure if I should just continue studying for the MCAT in the event I dont do well enough (shooting for 26 minimum; I will take my first FL AAMC #3 tomorrow) or just begin prep for the 2015. So far I've done the AAMC SA and in each category I've scored ~10% above the average in terms of correct answers...not sure if that's good or not. If I begin prep for the 2015, i can get a head start on that. If I just keeping studying for the 2014, I can (likely) boost my score if I get a spot in say Dec/Jan. Either way, I gotta commit to one or the other.

Thoughts on how I should proceed?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, clone of me haha. I just went through the same dilemma. See what your practice score is. If it isn't what you want, try to reschedule when a seat opens. If it doesn't open, just take it at the end of the month.

I am going to take it at the end of the month, regardless. My dilemma lies in the last 2 sent of the second paragraph. Keep studying for the 2014 and rely on chance that another spot opens in the event i dont get my desired score (a very likely senario), or move on full steam ahead and study for the 2015. If I study for the 2014 and i cant get another shot at the 2014, I'll have wasted time. If I start studying for the 2015 and a spot opens, ill have wasted time studying something I likely wont need cuz ill do better on my 2nd attempt at the 2014.

I am going to take it at the end of the month, regardless. My dilemma lies in the last 2 sent of the second paragraph. Keep studying for the 2014 and rely on chance that another spot opens in the event i dont get my desired score (a very likely senario), or move on full steam ahead and study for the 2015. If I study for the 2014 and i cant get another shot at the 2014, I'll have wasted time. If I start studying for the 2015 and a spot opens, ill have wasted time studying something I likely wont need cuz ill do better on my 2nd attempt at the 2014.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the next few days seem like the only likely time people are going to give up January seats. If you take the October one, you won't be able to schedule your next one until the 26 (I'm not 100% sure but pretty sure you can't have two tests scheduled at once.) I could be wrong but it seems unlikely, unless some random person cancels, you'll even get a January. So it might be best to start studying for 2015. Unless of course you think you're going to do well on the October one. Then why study at all unless you happen to see a spot open on the 26th for January?

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the next few days seem like the only likely time people are going to give up January seats. If you take the October one, you won't be able to schedule your next one until the 26 (I'm not 100% sure but pretty sure you can't have two tests scheduled at once.) I could be wrong but it seems unlikely, unless some random person cancels, you'll even get a January. So it might be best to start studying for 2015. Unless of course you think you're going to do well on the October one. Then why study at all unless you happen to see a spot open on the 26th for January?
you cannot reserve 2 spots as you said. The last sept test is on the 18th so itll be cutting it close in terms of another spot opening up. Also factor in that a person may not cancel his spot right away (or remember to cancel right away).

Last edited:
Keep studying for your 25th one and if the days after it is done, you find a January, then study for it. If no January pops up, start studying 2015 stuff. If you like your score in December, then it is all over. If not, you're already one month prepared for the 2015. Unless of course you found that January one.

I'm in the same position as you. I did my SA and did AAMC 7 already but I don't think I will get my desired score when I take it at the end of the month..most likely with 2 more months of studying, I will be closer to achieving my desired score. I'm not even sure if I can depend on the AAMC FL scores to determine what I might get on the real thing because people have been saying the real one is longer and harder than any practice, including TBR. I really hope spots open up for Jan so I can have another shot at taking it again. Hang in there, looks like we're on the same boat! lol

@stitchattack : do you plan on continuing to study for the 2014 or assume the worst and begin the 2015??

Trying to stay strong for the Oct one for now. I can't register until after the current MCAT so I guess if I cannot register after I take the Oct one, I'll probably get a head start on studying for the 2015 one. If you think about it, even after taking the classes, most people end up having to restudy the material with prep books for the MCAT anyway so even if I have not done biochem, I have cell bio knowledge and have taken intro soc/psych courses so I'll do what I did for the old MCAT and use prep books and practice for the next one. Guess no point freaking out since that will hinder your performance for the Oct one.

Reactions: 1 user
This unfortunate question might become, "Would it be better to get [fill in the blank with the mean score on AAMC exams], or to prepare for the 2015 MCAT?" And that will depend on your circumstances. That will determine whether or NOT you should take the October test, if a slot doesn't open up in January before then.

Remember that if you can afford it, you might be better off scheduling a January test in a location you can travel to. Then, worst case scenario will be that you have to travel. Then you will have more time to look for a January seat in your preferred location.

(Personally, I think AAMC should have offered both tests, the 2014 and the 2015, for one year so that everyone would have time to adapt to the change.)

Not trying to thread jack, but I'm in the same boat..

I'm signed up to take on the 25th. The system won't even let me see open seats on other dates since out of the bronze.

I know I'm not going to be ready. I'm not even going to pull the "i test bad" card; I just haven't studied like I should have.

Should I cancel my seat and continue studying checking every day for an open seat? Should I take the test and void? Should I just begin prepping for 2015 MCAT?

MCAT is going to be my only hinderance (not looking at ivy leagues). 3.8GPA, currently an MA at a clinic, 1500+ hours of paid and unpaid clinical, 1000 hours of benchtop and public health research (want to do MPH as well), 1 magazine publication, founded a nonprofit, hundreds of hours of volunteer work, president of many clubs during undergrad, tutor, various extracurricular activities. Not sure what to do - maybe I'm better off being a guinea pig?

The rumor has it that they are gonna open up more seats for the MCAT (in addition to the 12/6 testing day). Can anyone verify that or know when they'll add them or if it'll be regionally selective?

I'm also in a similar situation, taking the 10/21.
However, AAMC has been announcing everyday for the past couple weeks or so that they WILL be adding new seats to the existing Nov-Jan. dates in areas of need. Fortunately, they will be releasing them gradually rather than at once. So combined with the fact that late MCATers from Sep might drop some seats and that AAMC might open new seats, I think we'll have a fairly good chance of snatching a Jan. spot.
My plan is to register for a spot somewhere in the country soon after my current date, and keep checking everyday for a convenient spot (MA, PA, or NY). This maybe expensive as hell, but I wanna avoid the 2015 exam at all costs.
I honestly feel AAMC should have opened Feb/March dates for people unable to find Jan spots and make it binding/inflexible or something.

I'm also in a similar situation, taking the 10/21.
However, AAMC has been announcing everyday for the past couple weeks or so that they WILL be adding new seats to the existing Nov-Jan. dates in areas of need. Fortunately, they will be releasing them gradually rather than at once. So combined with the fact that late MCATers from Sep might drop some seats and that AAMC might open new seats, I think we'll have a fairly good chance of snatching a Jan. spot.
My plan is to register for a spot somewhere in the country soon after my current date, and keep checking everyday for a convenient spot (MA, PA, or NY). This maybe expensive as hell, but I wanna avoid the 2015 exam at all costs.
I honestly feel AAMC should have opened Feb/March dates for people unable to find Jan spots and make it binding/inflexible or something.
Do you know if they have a list somewhere of areas that 'are in need?' I'd rather not bank on signing for a retake only to find out too late there isnt gonna be one within a reasonable distance from where I live (a fairly populated area but nothing compared to say California).

Do you know if they have a list somewhere of areas that 'are in need?' I'd rather not bank on signing for a retake only to find out too late there isnt gonna be one within a reasonable distance from where I live (a fairly populated area but nothing compared to say California).
You can count on areas like texas, cali, nyc, chicago.....

No they haven't declared any specific areas; they said they will announce the location/date on twitter every time they open one up.

Think the maryland/VA/Wash DC area would get some lovin?

I would expect the northeast and CA to be the most likely ones since states like NY, MA, CA are rarely available even when there's no rush.

I think they're going to try to find more seats in Cali because when Cali students can't find a seat in state, they have to sign up for the nearby states like WA, NV, AZ, CO and end up taking seats from the in state students from those states too. Right before all the Jan seats were taken, you can see how gradual the "no seats available" shifted from cali and swept towards the east. lol