Taking Notes as you Go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxoheartx3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the PCAT in mid september and i'm using the Kaplan and Cracking the PCAT book. I'm taking notes as i'm reading the Kaplan book and then reading the Cracking the PCAT book for the more detailed information. I wanted to get everyones opinion on whether or not taking notes as you're studying would be a good idea. As it's getting closer and closer to exam time I feel that I should just solely focus on reading the book and not take notes.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally couldn't do it any other way. It is simply too much information to retain in one go; my brain makes room for a new class of knowledge by dumping away the previous class of knowledge. So I have to take notes to counter this. Furthermore, note taking is my way of transforming the material into my own "language"; I have to interpret it in such a way so as to avoid the frustrations that arose when I first encountered a new concept. I should warn you though, the first time I took the PCAT I made the mistake of not giving myself enough time to thoroughly go through the notes. You should devote at least one week of review to your notes. I have so far taken a half-of-a-textbook length of notes. This project dates back to before I attempted the exam for the first time in July. The pile has grown since then. Again, I don't know any other way.

Thanks for the advice! I've been taking notes but was just scared if it was going to be pointless in the end

Only you can make that decision. Everyone has their own way to study. If you feel writing down notes isn't helping you remember, then definitely find a way that works for you.

Like what sodiumd said, taking down notes is an excellent way of extracting information and turning it into a form that makes sense in your mind.

Rather than aimlessly taking down every single note possible (not saying you're doing this), but I sometimes just don't take notes, read the section(s) and try to conceptually understand what is going on. I ask myself "why is this happening" or "what is driving this mechanism to completion" etc etc.

Just my $0.02

Members don't see this ad :)
Only you can make that decision. Everyone has their own way to study. If you feel writing down notes isn't helping you remember, then definitely find a way that works for you.

Like what sodiumd said, taking down notes is an excellent way of extracting information and turning it into a form that makes sense in your mind.

Rather than aimlessly taking down every single note possible (not saying you're doing this), but I sometimes just don't take notes, read the section(s) and try to conceptually understand what is going on. I ask myself "why is this happening" or "what is driving this mechanism to completion" etc etc.

Just my $0.02

Yeah definitely get where you're coming. Everyone person is their own but I just wanted to see what has been working for everyone else and try different things. I try to read the section first and take notes on the main points of each paragraph.

for the cracking the pcat, i going to supplement that with the dr. collins. Dr. C definitely breaks things down in a simpler concept more relevant to the actual PCAT. I also noticed that the cracking the pcat usually has one of two sentences that pretty much summarize the whole section. And if I dont understand that or need more explanation then I re-read the section.

for the cracking the pcat, i going to supplement that with the dr. collins. Dr. C definitely breaks things down in a simpler concept more relevant to the actual PCAT. I also noticed that the cracking the pcat usually has one of two sentences that pretty much summarize the whole section. And if I dont understand that or need more explanation then I re-read the section.

thanks for the advice. I have Dr Collins too but it's one that doesn't have the updated material so I've been refraining myself from relying too much on it.