Taking old MCATs for 2015 practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EasternMer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm of the belief that it's good practice to study the old AAMC FL's to nail down PS basics.

Others don't think so.

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am about to officially start studying for the MCAT for the first time ever. Should I look at the old LF's at all? Some?

It really doesn't hurt to practice more, and AAMC practices probably follow a closer mindset/logic to the actual test than other prep companies, even though it is the old material.

physics and chem didnt change much in the last year :). definitely a great idea to practice practice practice. im enrolled in kaplan course, but basically im self studying, taking as many practice tests as i can find, in addition to EK 1001 and other lecture exams for PS. yea, 2015 MCAT may ask you a circulatory related question, but you can bet ur butt that it will be in the context of standard physics stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
physics and chem didnt change much in the last year :). definitely a great idea to practice practice practice. im enrolled in kaplan course, but basically im self studying, taking as many practice tests as i can find, in addition to EK 1001 and other lecture exams for PS. yea, 2015 MCAT may ask you a circulatory related question, but you can bet ur butt that it will be in the context of standard physics stuff.

I have to say that it's changed a lot (at least based off of the Kaplan diagnostic I took today). I consistently scored 13-14 on the AAMC practice exams on the PS section (scored a 13 on the actual exam in January). I took the Kaplan diagnostic today (full length exam #1) and scored a 125 on the chemistry/physics section (this is SUPPOSEDLY the equivalent of an 8 on the old mcat). Needless to say, it was a ****ty feeling.

Note: I did not study biochemistry before taking this diagnostic, but I can definitely tell you that the things that the questions ask of you now is different than the real thing. That being said, it may also be the case that Kaplan's full length is not representative (perhaps harder to ensure that people do poorly on their diagnostic so that they do not need to follow through with their money-back guarantee for drops in score), their scale is not representative (how can they possibly come up with an accurate scaling?), they don't actually know what AAMC questions are going to be like (there's not many official MCAT2015 questions out there...) and are taking wild shots in the dark.

Regardless, it was a rude awakening to see that I'm going to be taking the exam in 1.5 months, and it almost feels like the studying I did for the old mcat went to waste.

I think it would be great practice material.

You won't find another source that has such high quality questions. Now the content might not match exactly but if you see something you don't understand fully, just go look to see if it's still tested. If not, then ignore and move on.

So, where do I go to see the "new" MCAT stuff. Is there free exams or material for the new MCAT?

I have to say that it's changed a lot (at least based off of the Kaplan diagnostic I took today). I consistently scored 13-14 on the AAMC practice exams on the PS section (scored a 13 on the actual exam in January). I took the Kaplan diagnostic today (full length exam #1) and scored a 125 on the chemistry/physics section (this is SUPPOSEDLY the equivalent of an 8 on the old mcat). Needless to say, it was a ****ty feeling.

Note: I did not study biochemistry before taking this diagnostic, but I can definitely tell you that the things that the questions ask of you now is different than the real thing. That being said, it may also be the case that Kaplan's full length is not representative (perhaps harder to ensure that people do poorly on their diagnostic so that they do not need to follow through with their money-back guarantee for drops in score), their scale is not representative (how can they possibly come up with an accurate scaling?), they don't actually know what AAMC questions are going to be like (there's not many official MCAT2015 questions out there...) and are taking wild shots in the dark.

Regardless, it was a rude awakening to see that I'm going to be taking the exam in 1.5 months, and it almost feels like the studying I did for the old mcat went to waste.

That is very interesting to see such a stark difference. Did you struggle with Biology on your original MCAT?

No I scored on average a 13-14 on the biology on practice AAMC's and ended up scoring a 13 as well on the real MCAT in January. My Biology section for the Kaplan diagnostic was a 126 though
I don't know, maybe it is just kaplan diagnostics...I'd try taking a Next Step free Diag. I took both and scored a lot better on NS than on Kaplan and on my old MCAT I was around 11/12 on both PS BS.

Dude I'm sorry to hear you're retaking, was it Verbal?

I don't know, maybe it is just kaplan diagnostics...I'd try taking a Next Step free Diag. I took both and scored a lot better on NS than on Kaplan and on my old MCAT I was around 11/12 on both PS BS.

Dude I'm sorry to hear you're retaking, was it Verbal?

Yup. I'm not sure what happened, but I was scoring consistent 11's on the AAMC tests (couple 10's and 1 12, the rest were 11's). On the actual MCAT, it was an 8. Now having to teach myself psych/sociology/biochemistry in 2 months while also trying to find time to practice verbal/keep the other sciences fresh. Not easy while working 40-50 hour weeks :( (Just looking for pity hahaha)

Yup. I'm not sure what happened, but I was scoring consistent 11's on the AAMC tests (couple 10's and 1 12, the rest were 11's). On the actual MCAT, it was an 8. Now having to teach myself psych/sociology/biochemistry in 2 months while also trying to find time to practice verbal/keep the other sciences fresh. Not easy while working 40-50 hour weeks :( (Just looking for pity hahaha)
Haha yeah in the same boat, I work full time as well but I have a June MCAT date!

Congrats on nabbing a May spot :) :)

So, where do I go to see the "new" MCAT stuff. Is there free exams or material for the new MCAT?

Do you really think you're better off taking the new MCAT (without knowing if you've improved on verbal since there are no available official tests with scaled percentiles) than just running with that 34 you have now?