Taking PCAT without biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently read from the PCAT website (and on here) that as of 2012-2013 the PCAT is going to include biochem in the chemistry section.

This is alarming, I will not start taking biochem until this fall 2012, and scheduled for the PCAT in september. I'll have only 2-3 weeks of biochem under my belt when I take it..

Should I be worried????

This is the only "pre-PCAT" class I haven't taken..

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I recently read from the PCAT website (and on here) that as of 2012-2013 the PCAT is going to include biochem in the chemistry section.

This is alarming, I will not start taking biochem until this fall 2012, and scheduled for the PCAT in september. I'll have only 2-3 weeks of biochem under my belt when I take it..

Should I be worried????

This is the only "pre-PCAT" class I haven't taken..

Don't stress. Most people, including myself, take the PCAT without Biochem. Look up the basic processes of each macromolecule. On the blueprint it says specifically DNA, RNA, Proteins and Lipids. It's not much to learn and isn't too complicated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the PCAT without Biochem. I'm also scheduled to take Biochem in the fall, during my senior year. Even without Biochem, I was able to get 99 percentile on Chem. For many, if not all, of the biochem questions, I used knowledge from my Biology courses. And then there were some that just required memorization of the structures of certain amino acids that I just guessed on.

So yes, it's perfectly possible without biochem. Good luck studying!

I think you'll be fine. As someone else said, make sure you study the marcomolecules.

If you've taken an upper level biology course (such as a cell biology or possibly even genetics), it probably has covered everything you needed for the exam.