Taking Post-bac and Research Lab. Yes or No?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unperturbed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i recently graduated, and since my GPA is low, I decided to take some classes for 2 semesters to boost my GPA.

Academics :~3.36cGPA / 3.1sGPA

EC: I've been an EMT for 6 years, actively working in 2 ambulance stations. Volunteered as pre-med club, Mission trips, shadowed two doctors 15+ hours

Research: I've been doing research in campus. Doing my OWN project and my professor and i recently planned to finish my project and possibly begin to prepare for publishing next January.

MCAT: Not taken yet, will obviously finish before next april so i can be ready to apply next spring.

Now, I am in dilemma between

1. taking classes at college where i recently graduated
+ : i know the cirriculum, i can choose specific classes, I can continue to work at my research where i've been working for a year in campus.
-: it's almost $14,000 per semester. (i'm out of state student)

2. Take class at Rutgers (in-state school, i have NJ residency)
+: cheap. it's only about $1800 for 9 credit semester
-: i CANNOT continue my research at my school where i graduated. I am not familiar with the school cirriculum.

Money is an issue here, but at the same time i have worked hard in my own research, and i dont know if i should just quit and take classes at Rutgers.

But again, Research is not a "planned" system, meaning although i planned to prepare for publishing next january, i don't know if my experiments will be done by that time.

BASED on my status, "continuing to work and hopefully publish a paper about my project and not take additional science classes" VS "Stop researching since i already have a good experience in it and take science classes for 2 semesters"

What should I do? What should i consider in my decision?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Rutgers. You may continue your research and not get anything published anyway so why would you risk getting into more debt? You already have some research experience and your application will show that.

Also, because of your low GPA you need those extra science classes to boost your GPA, otherwise, all the research in the world won't get you through the first eliminatory screening at the time of the AMCAS application.

You need to raise your cGPA. You prefer to do it inexpensively. You already have enough research experience. Go to Rutgers.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there any clear distinction between,
"1 year of your own project research" vs "2 years of your own project research and possibly publishing" ?

I know it sounds silly but will it make a difference at the interview when i talk about my research experience, or will i be sharing it that specifically in my research experience when filling out primary application?

You need to raise your cGPA. You prefer to do it inexpensively. You already have enough research experience. Go to Rutgers.

You don't "need" to raise your cGPA, it would just be extremely helpful to raise it. People, including myself have gotten in with lower or equal cGPA and sGPA. Your MCAT score can really help you in that respect. My MCAT and research were what got me at least one of my interviews, the interviewer specifically told me that. I definitely think you should take classes and raise your gpa but I wanted to counter all the other posts in here telling you that the publication wont matter and you have enough research.

Rutgers is a great school. It is fun to visit and I found my friends enjoyed and thrived there. I regret going to a private school over RU. I would definitely take classes there.

Remember that Robert Wood Johnson is right there, and they do a decent amount of research that you could participate in. If you get a job at RWJ or RU, you would be eligible for tuition reimbursement on top of a salary and health benefits. Your GPA is the most important thing, followed by the MCAT.

Take your time to tackle both. It maybe hard to do so in a year. Good luck.

how does "research" play a role in medical application/admission?

will it be specifically explained in the interview? or will it be added to your primary application EC section?

how does "research" play a role in medical application/admission?

will it be specifically explained in the interview? or will it be added to your primary application EC section?

i would expect both.

as far as research goes, its not necessary for most schools but its nice. sprinkles