Taking pre-req courses "partially online"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tttony

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows how pharmacy schools look at courses taken at a community college that are partially online? I graduated in 2013 with my BA in neurobiology but have only just now settled on pursuing pharmacy school. Of the necessary prerequisites, I have to take microbiology, human anatomy and public speaking. I am interested in taking a human anatomy & physiology course (even though I have already taken physiology) at my local cc during the summer term but the course is partially online (lecture online/lab portion in person) and I'm not sure if that will hurt my chances of getting in. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that partially online and online courses to fulfill pre-reqs were not recommended but I am working full-time so I am only able to do either evening classes or partially online/online classes.

Any help would be grealy appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows how pharmacy schools look at courses taken at a community college that are partially online? I graduated in 2013 with my BA in neurobiology but have only just now settled on pursuing pharmacy school. Of the necessary prerequisites, I have to take microbiology, human anatomy and public speaking. I am interested in taking a human anatomy & physiology course (even though I have already taken physiology) at my local cc during the summer term but the course is partially online (lecture online/lab portion in person) and I'm not sure if that will hurt my chances of getting in. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that partially online and online courses to fulfill pre-reqs were not recommended but I am working full-time so I am only able to do either evening classes or partially online/online classes.

Any help would be grealy appreciated! Thanks.

First, if you could manage to take evening classes, do it. I did a couple of online classes so I know first hand that online classes are not easier or more convenient compared to on-campus class. Online might seem to be more flexible in terms of time schedule, but it will require greater discipline from you to maintain a regular study schedule and keep up with everything that is going on for your classes.

Secondly, if you had to take A&P online for the lecture portion, I do not think it will affect anything. Check with your CC where you are taking the course if it will report on your transcript the lecture portion as taken online, but I do not think it will (more than likely it will just appear as a regular on-campus A&P).

So you do not have to worry about it being reported on your transcript as online course. And this will not affect your chance of getting pharmacy schools at all imho.

Just a side note, I see that you already have a degree and need to complete only 3 courses you listed above for prereq. You should be able to finish all 3 courses in the summer, and might able to squeeze in some study time for the PCAT and take it this summer too. Also start you PHARMCAS application this summer as soon as it opens for the next cycle (the PHARMCAS app, personal essay, & LORs will take time to gather and compose) and update your application when you got your summer grades in for the 3 courses and PCAT. Save up some money this summer and apply to as many and wide range of schools as you can (the app and interviews and, if you got accepted, seat deposits will cost you a ton of money. I know this because I applied to 9 schools this cycle and received 8 interviews :) )

If you do the above, you will probably go on your pharmacy school interviews in the Fall and receive acceptance before the year end. Then you can start saving money again for the moving and start for your pharmacy school next summer. GL :)

Last edited:
You have a BA in neurobiology? That's impressive. :).

In regards to your question about taking pre-reqs partially online. Your situation is unique in that you have a Bachelor's degree, in neurobiology. It offsets some of the out-the-ordinary factors like online classes. In my opinion, as long as the lab portion is hands on for anatomy, microbiology and public speaking then you should be fine. The hands on portion of these classes cannot be supplemented through the comfort of your own computer. However, I do not see a problem with taking the didactic part online. As long as you make a good grade and is able to share that experience in an interview I think you should be fine. HOWEVER, to be on the safe side, you should contact the school that you would like to attend and ask the admission office regarding their absolute requirements. That is the answer that you will need to follow by.