Taking Summer Prereq and Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daydreams

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have passed all prereqs besides orgo. I am planning on taking it next summer (June-August) and applying that cycle. Will this work out considering that the 2nd part of orgo class will end by mid august.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, I'll take a whack at it.

Why can't you take organic during the school year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have passed all prereqs besides orgo. I am planning on taking it next summer (June-August) and applying that cycle. Will this work out considering that the 2nd part of orgo class will end by mid august.

Have you already taken the MCAT? First semester orgo is very necessary for the MCAT, second semester less so.

Keep in mind that the application process itself can be pretty exhausting. I'm finding having to deal with writing essays and having a full-time job is far worse and more stressful than anything I've done so far, and I worked full-time through my entire post-bacc and MCAT prep.

Yes - it should be fine, given that you can handle the MCAT without it. I would just make sure to have as much of the application done ahead of time (PS, any secondaries that you can find the prompts for, etc.), as all of this is extremely time-consuming. Most professor's consider med school interviews as an excused absence, although I'm guessing that the lab is an exception, so you would have to schedule around that.

Yeah, no one is going to care unless you bomb orgo over the summer.