Taking the DAT well in advance of applying to Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msd228

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
More than a little confused. I have been studying for the DAT this summer and plan to take it later this month. I will have plenty of time to retake as I am a rising junior in college and hope to enroll in Dental School in fall 2018.
At this early stage, I have no idea where I would like to attend, so should I send my scores to all dental schools since that is included in the fee? Also, do I need to have an account set up with ADEA AADSAS in order to take the test? That would seem to be a huge waste of money, unless you only pay the fee once.

Members don't see this ad.

• Send to all schools
  • You don't need an AADSAS account yet
  • Apply to take test and then pick a date
  • You have plenty of time, so make sure you are ready. You'll have time to take it again but you won't want to have to. Spend this summer really learning all of Destroyer (yes, know all of it). Then you should be confident you can score 22+
  • Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
It appears that I cannot change my application to take the DAT to direct my scores. Am I missing something? It seems as though that would be possible since I have not taken the test yet. I orginally chose not to send my scores to any schools, but now think that was a bad idea and want to reselect the schools on that application to have my scores sent to. When I enter the application to edit it, it seems I will get charged now for every school I send my scores to. Is there a way around this fee since I haven't taken the test yet, or is it impossible to change the selections now that I've paid and scheduled an appointment to take the DAT?

It appears that I cannot change my application to take the DAT to direct my scores. Am I missing something? It seems as though that would be possible since I have not taken the test yet. I orginally chose not to send my scores to any schools, but now think that was a bad idea and want to reselect the schools on that application to have my scores sent to. When I enter the application to edit it, it seems I will get charged now for every school I send my scores to. Is there a way around this fee since I haven't taken the test yet, or is it impossible to change the selections now that I've paid and scheduled an appointment to take the DAT?
In case anyone else faces this scenario, a call to the ADA revealed that an email to them ([email protected]) will allow them to make this change at no expense to me.

Reactions: 1 user