Taking the Dat without ANY Chemistry classes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imvn1zpr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I'm Planning on taking the Dat after my sophomore year (summer) one year from now. By the time I'm planning to take the dat i wouldn't have completed any chemistry classes (The professors in my CC are not good at all and i don't want kill my GPA). I know is not the best idea to self study for chemistry but I will rather to have more time to retake it and save my gpa. I would like some advice of sources that will help me prepare for the chemistry in the dat.

I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally just take it later after taking the chemistry classes. Maybe after junior or in your case probably after senior year (to get the organic series done).
If you have already made the decision to go with it, I would recommend Chad's Videos. I have heard great things about his Chemistry and organic videos. Also if you have a strong chemistry background from highschool, then you might have a chance, but idk... Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Not a good idea man...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a huge task. Chemistry makes up 60/100 questions in the Science portion of the DAT. Organic chemistry is arguably one of the hardest, and most important portions of the DAT. I've heard from a dean himself that he considers the Organic score a section in itself, and a good score there is a huge deal..

That being said, it can be done. How hard are you willing to work? Are you going to put in 2 or so hours of chemistry every day, even after your regular classes?? You can do this, but you have to buckle up and hold on! Go for it!

I would start with Chad's videos. They are crash courses on parts of the DAT. He teaches everything within the scope of the DAT. There are outlines you download to take notes on, and quizzes after every video. Don't take these lessons lightly. Take them slow, write clear and concise notes. Put them in clear page protectors and build your own text book (that's what I did). Study your notes. Watch videos twice if need be. This is where you study and learn chemistry. Use other resources on parts Chad doesn't cover well. Remember it's meant to be a review, not a first time lecture.

After learning this, time to practice and apply! DAT Destroyer is essential. The chemistry sections are impeccable! Work through this book. Every question. Understand the question, answer, how to work it, and most importantly, why did he ask this question? EVERY question in this book teaches a lesson you should know for the DAT! There are detailed rationales with every answer explaining. He shows how to work, what to look for, and even what tricks to watch out for.

Sorry if that was lengthy, but with a task like you're talking about, you need all the info you can get!

Good Luck! Please feel free to contact me with any more questions or anything like that! You can do this. I loved chemistry, especially organic. It's a different way of thinking. It teaches you to think outside of the box and really helps your problem solving skills, which will help you out on every other part of the DAT.

--Gage (Current D1)

Why take it without taking the classes....?

Even if you take it now you will still have to take chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry for your prerequisites to apply which will take you about a year at the bare minimum to complete. There's no way to avoid taking chemistry and orgo if you want to get into dental school. Also, since you'll be at a community college, you still have to wait a few years to transfer to a University to take the rest of your prereqs because a lot of schools limit their amount of community college prereqs.

Another thing is if you're just taking it so you can retake it again:
1) It's expensive to take the DAT.
2) It's time consuming.
3) It looks bad on your record if you take the DAT multiple times.

If you're just wanting to assess yourself, take a free practice DAT with Kaplan or DATGenius.

tMlN5ig.gif

I also say it's not a good idea.
Both gen chem and o-chem are such HUGE topics with lots of concepts that are better learned in the classroom.
You CAN self study - reading textbooks, watching Chad's videos, but you are probably going to start watching them and feel really lost. Chad's videos are great, but they're more of a review/refresher than an actual in-depth course.

You're at a CC, so that means you're going to move up to a 4 year institution in a couple years. Just wait until then to take the chem series and then take your DAT while it's still fresh. Be warned though, Unless your CC is an exception, 4 year institutions are much harder and more competitive than CC's (professors are also arguably better or worse). If you're afraid of your GPA being affected now, it could be worse later on. Just letting you know.

Good luck.

My opinion is a compromise between the two camps (#1 says take it and self-study, #2 says don't do it).

I say....do Chad's videos and self study like @gage1124 said.
BUT don't book your DAT until you take multiple practice exams (including ADA 2007 and 2009). This way, you can assess your chemistry confidence. If you're killing the practice exams, go for it. If you're not, take the classes and then take the DAT- you're only out the $50 for Chad's videos and the cost of the exams).

Reactions: 2 users
My opinion is a compromise between the two camps (#1 says take it and self-study, #2 says don't do it).

BUT don't book your DAT until you take multiple practice exams (including ADA 2007 and 2009). This way, you can assess your chemistry confidence. If you're killing the practice exams, go for it. If you're not, take the classes and then take the DAT- you're only out the $50 for Chad's videos and the cost of the exams).

Great point Incis0r! The exam is expensive, so that's a thing. More importantly, you can only take it 3 times (without having to go through a ton of headache and a 12 month waiting period...) You shouldn't attempt the DAT until you are ready and confident, otherwise you will burn 1/3 of your opportunities and close to $400, plus the misery of taking the 4 hour exam.. Be sure you are well prepared!

If you must take the DAT without taking chem classes, this is a good way to approach this.
Overall I think it is a bad idea. Can you transfer to a 4 year school this fall and start your chem classes now?

Hi Everyone!!

I'm Planning on taking the Dat after my sophomore year (summer) one year from now. By the time I'm planning to take the dat i wouldn't have completed any chemistry classes (The professors in my CC are not good at all and i don't want kill my GPA). I know is not the best idea to self study for chemistry but I will rather to have more time to retake it and save my gpa. I would like some advice of sources that will help me prepare for the chemistry in the dat.

I appreciate any advice.

Use the sources
Chads
Dat destroyer

It is not the best plan to take dat without any chemistry experience, BUT

You will have a good idea of how the DAT exam and prometric set up is, and then take it again after you take Chem courses

This isn't a good idea... haha. More power to you if you can pull it off, though.

It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for him

As others have said, it is a bad idea. Its like trying to learn how to skydive before learning how to deploy your parachute.

Transfer to a 4-year university, take your classes, study up for the DAT, THEN take it.

Thank you guys for all your input, I really appreciate your advice. I know is not the easiest way to go but in my situation with a family I really want to start as soon as possible. Im really determined to do it, I just needed the best resources I can use to achieve this.

That's a huge task. Chemistry makes up 60/100 questions in the Science portion of the DAT. Organic chemistry is arguably one of the hardest, and most important portions of the DAT. I've heard from a dean himself that he considers the Organic score a section in itself, and a good score there is a huge deal..

That being said, it can be done. How hard are you willing to work? Are you going to put in 2 or so hours of chemistry every day, even after your regular classes?? You can do this, but you have to buckle up and hold on! Go for it!

I would start with Chad's videos. They are crash courses on parts of the DAT. He teaches everything within the scope of the DAT. There are outlines you download to take notes on, and quizzes after every video. Don't take these lessons lightly. Take them slow, write clear and concise notes. Put them in clear page protectors and build your own text book (that's what I did). Study your notes. Watch videos twice if need be. This is where you study and learn chemistry. Use other resources on parts Chad doesn't cover well. Remember it's meant to be a review, not a first time lecture.

After learning this, time to practice and apply! DAT Destroyer is essential. The chemistry sections are impeccable! Work through this book. Every question. Understand the question, answer, how to work it, and most importantly, why did he ask this question? EVERY question in this book teaches a lesson you should know for the DAT! There are detailed rationales with every answer explaining. He shows how to work, what to look for, and even what tricks to watch out for.

Sorry if that was lengthy, but with a task like you're talking about, you need all the info you can get!

Good Luck! Please feel free to contact me with any more questions or anything like that! You can do this. I loved chemistry, especially organic. It's a different way of thinking. It teaches you to think outside of the box and really helps your problem solving skills, which will help you out on every other part of the DAT.

--Gage (Current D1)

Thank you so much Gage for the advice and the resources. It's really helpful.

I will take the Dat if I feel that I'm really ready for it that for sure. It's going to be a rough journey for sure and more being a hispanic that took ESL program last year but i will take your advice. Thank you so much for your info, I really appreciate it!!

If you must take the DAT without taking chem classes, this is a good way to approach this.
Overall I think it is a bad idea. Can you transfer to a 4 year school this fall and start your chem classes now?

I will transfer to Uconn next Fall (Im actually doing a Guaranteed admission program) and in order to complete the transfer I need to have some science classes... By that time I would have completed Bio, English, Physics and some maths.