Taking the MCAT as a medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinefresh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound crazy but I need people to put this into perspective for me. I go to a top tier school and have ALREADY taken Step I (and did very well). The thing is, I got in through an early acceptance program and never took the MCAT. Right now, I'm looking to possibly take a year off via a hyper competitive program like Howard Hughes or the NIH. Unfortunately, programs like HHMI require the MCAT. I contacted them about possibly getting a waiver but they categorically refused. My research mentor with whom I'm very close and who is associated with HHMI told me I'd have an excellent shot of getting it if I could apply.

With all of this being said, would it be absolutely insane to sit for the MCAT while already in med school? I have a very strong science background. I've recently taken AAMCs 3 and 10 and got 39+ on both despite being fairly far removed from my pre reqs. Is this going to be a complete waste of time or should I just wing it and see what happens (yes, I really do want HHMI that badly)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you took practice exams and got a 39+ you'll likely be fine. Study for 3-6 weeks depending on how much you think you need to review and take the current exam. You absolutely don't want to push your luck on the new MCAT. Also the fact that you're in an accelerated program suggests that you're either good at test taking or are naturally highly intelligent.

Fake

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you took practice exams and got a 39+ you'll likely be fine. Study for 3-6 weeks depending on how much you think you need to review and take the current exam. You absolutely don't want to push your luck on the new MCAT. Also the fact that you're in an accelerated program suggests that you're either good at test taking or are naturally highly intelligent.

I think I might. There really aren't any consequences if I don't end up doing well.

Yeah just take it, don't even study. Truthfully, the number itself isn't that important for HHMI and I'm surprised they even care that much. Those apps are evaluated far more for the project and who your mentor is than what you scored on some test a few years ago. In other words, whether you score 25, 35, or 45, it won't matter. Sounds like you're set up to do very well; even a 5 pt drop from your practice tests and you're still over the 90th %ile.

Take it tomorrow if you want? 39+ on practice tests, I assume your MCAT is meaningless with a 30+ anyway after taking step 1. This is such a unique situation I'm not sure why you need to ask SDN

HHMI grants require the MCAT? Are you sure? I have a lot of experience with this and have never heard that before.

And by "a lot of experience" I mean ~5 minutes of reading the HHMI website and Control+F'ing "MCAT"

Reactions: 9 users
I said that too which is why I think he's trolling: http://www.hhmi.org/programs/medical-research-fellows-program. The MCAT is not even listed as part of the application.

I think they do download your AMCAS, though it's been a long time since I looked. Maybe you run into the MCAT snag down the line?

Still pretty sure he's trolling though...

Kind of a lame troll at that. Personally, I would have gone with the same thread title, but my post would have been something like "hey guys, the bishes in my class seem to go for the guys with the highest MCAT scores. This one guy scored a 44T and has slept with almost half the eligible girls in my class. I don't know what to do because I'm only a BS/MD student and never took the MCAT and now I think I'm going to die a virgin. I took some practice AAMC MCATs and scored 39+. Do you think I should just take the MCAT as a medical student so I can finally get a bish of my own?"

:)

I think they do download your AMCAS, though it's been a long time since I looked. Maybe you run into the MCAT snag down the line?

Kind of a lame troll at that. Personally, I would have gone with the same thread title, but my post would have been something like "hey guys, the bishes in my class seem to go for the guys with the highest MCAT scores. This one guy scored a 44T and has slept with almost half the eligible girls in my class. I don't know what to do because I'm only a BS/MD student and never took the MCAT and now I think I'm going to die a virgin. I took some practice AAMC MCATs and scored 39+. Do you think I should just take the MCAT as a medical student so I can finally get a bish of my own?"

That would have been a much funnier trolling story. OP needs to work on his trolling skills. For the benefit of others who do HHMI, Here is the application: http://www.hhmi.org/sites/default/files/Programs/MedFellows/2015/2015 Med Fellows Program Application Requirements.pdf

No mention of an AMCAS or MCAT required.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah I agree. If I were actually trolling I would make.. you know.. an actual troll thread. I guarantee you that if I wrote that I got 24s on my practice exams nobody would be giving me ****.

Anyway you're actually correct in your initial comment. If you look at the actual application, which is NOT openly posted on the website since you need to register, you will see that they do download your AMCAS and that both grades and MCAT scores need to be on file with the AAMC. If you guys don't believe me, email them and ask. I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone. Thanks to those of you who actually provided valuable information.

Yeah just take it, don't even study. Truthfully, the number itself isn't that important for HHMI and I'm surprised they even care that much. Those apps are evaluated far more for the project and who your mentor is than what you scored on some test a few years ago. In other words, whether you score 25, 35, or 45, it won't matter. Sounds like you're set up to do very well; even a 5 pt drop from your practice tests and you're still over the 90th %ile.

I asked some upperclassmen today and they corroborated this. They said that your school prestige and mentor matter a lot and that the high MCAT scores are just reflections of the students at top schools. Thanks!

What do you honestly hope to get out of this thread? You have basically said that you've scored greater than 99% of test takers while taking two highly predictive practice exams (without studying, because it's relevant and doesn't scream "humblebrag"), and want to know if you should go through with taking the real thing. You're all but guaranteed to ace it... why wouldn't you just take the test? There is literally no downside in this situation.

Reactions: 3 users
What do you honestly hope to get out of this thread? You have basically said that you've scored greater than 99% of test takers while taking two highly predictive practice exams (without studying, because it's relevant and doesn't scream "humblebrag"), and want to know if you should go through with taking the real thing. You're all but guaranteed to ace it... why wouldn't you just take the test? There is literally no downside in this situation.

Just took AAMC 4 and got a 35, happy? Yeah, I'm going to take it anyway. I started this thread because most people gave me very weird looks when I explained that I wanted to take the MCAT in the middle of my rotations.

Just took AAMC 4 and got a 35, happy? Yeah, I'm going to take it anyway. I started this thread because most people gave me very weird looks when I explained that I wanted to take the MCAT in the middle of my rotations.

You'd better register for it quickly then because spots are filling up as people try to take the MCAT before it switches to the new version after Jan.

If he didn't make this thread, he wouldn't get to brag about scoring in the 99th percentile on a pre-medical test with little studying.

Reactions: 5 users
I believe you cent take the MCAT unless you are seeking admission to medical school. It's one of the boxes you have to attest to. So beware the ethical implications of signing up for the test.

They don't want random stranger (or more likely MCAT prep instructors) taking the test repeatedly to get a feel for what's being asked on the real thing.

I believe you cent take the MCAT unless you are seeking admission to medical school. It's one of the boxes you have to attest to. So beware the ethical implications of signing up for the test.

They don't want random stranger (or more likely MCAT prep instructors) taking the test repeatedly to get a feel for what's being asked on the real thing.

Actually any ethical obligation he has not to take it as a med student is removed by the programs requirement to have one! Just blame whoever wants him to produce a score if anything happens

If he didn't make this thread, he wouldn't get to brag about scoring in the 99th percentile on a pre-medical test with little studying.

Walked into a 2nd grade class and took their spelling test, finished it all in 30 seconds, slammed my pencil and the desk and proclaimed " see you later b1tches!" Do you guys think I should enter the spelling bee? I mean crap they make this stuff so easy nowadays, heck when I was in 2nd grade the spelling tests were much harder.

In other news, plastic surgery resident at XYZ hospital becomes first student to score a 45 on the MCAT. He was quoted as saying : " Patients dumb, standard testing gud."

- this is the 1800th post of greatness this site has seen from me, I congratulate you all on this accomplishment.

Reactions: 4 users
If you look at the actual application, which is NOT openly posted on the website since you need to register, you will see that they do download your AMCAS and that both grades and MCAT scores need to be on file with the AAMC. If you guys don't believe me, email them and ask. I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone. Thanks to those of you who actually provided valuable information.

Out of curiosity, did your early admissions program require you submitting an AMCAS app? With an early fast-tracking through to medical school such as Brown's program at Alpert, aren't these mostly internal applicants? Do you have to file with AMCAS and pay to have them vet your prior grades to apply for HHMI? Any idea about Mt Sinai's FlexMed program that doesn't require MCAT, do they do AMCAS? I'm surprised this hasn't come up many times before for HHMI, as I'm sure many of the fast tracked students like yourself are likely to be highly enriched for do things like apply for an HHMI fellowship. Anyway, it is just interesting to hear about these weird inflexibilities given their overall mission to try to be support more creative activities than NIH.

Good luck in your HHMI application! Everyone I know who has done it really enjoyed the experience.

Out of curiosity, did your early admissions program require you submitting an AMCAS app? With an early fast-tracking through to medical school such as Brown's program at Alpert, aren't these mostly internal applicants? Do you have to file with AMCAS and pay to have them vet your prior grades to apply for HHMI? Any idea about Mt Sinai's FlexMed program that doesn't require MCAT, do they do AMCAS? I'm surprised this hasn't come up many times before for HHMI, as I'm sure many of the fast tracked students like yourself are likely to be highly enriched for do things like apply for an HHMI fellowship. Anyway, it is just interesting to hear about these weird inflexibilities given their overall mission to try to be support more creative activities than NIH.

Good luck in your HHMI application! Everyone I know who has done it really enjoyed the experience.

Yeah every entering medical student at a US school must fill out an AMCAS. If you got in early thru NW, Vandy, or Mt. Sinai (or a BS/MD) you still have to fill out an AMCAS but you don't write any essays or pay any fees. I think we had to put N/A for all of the essay blocks on the AMCAS and secondary. I agree that it's very annoying.

Yes there are people who do these fast-track programs without taking the MCAT and I doubt the HHMI tells them they have to have an MCAT score in order to apply for a research year. They may do an AMCAS out of formality, but that's about it.

Yes there are people who do these fast-track programs without taking the MCAT and I doubt the HHMI tells them they have to have an MCAT score in order to apply for a research year. They may do an AMCAS out of formality, but that's about it.

Oh, you'll be surprised by the stupid rigidity of national research funding organizations. The grant process is a beast unto itself.

Oh, you'll be surprised by the stupid rigidity of national research funding organizations. The grant process is a beast unto itself.
Yes, but writing a grant is quite different from this. A Step 1 score, I could see. Demanding someone take the MCAT when they entered an early assurance, fast-track, or BS/MD to skip it is ridiculous. I don't even know if the the MCAT allows current med students to even take it.

Yes, but writing a grant is quite different from this. A Step 1 score, I could see. Demanding someone take the MCAT when they entered an early assurance, fast-track, or BS/MD to skip it is ridiculous. I don't even know if the the MCAT allows current med students to even take it.

Yeah, I don't know about the specifics of this case; but given the stuff I have seen and had to put up with, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to OP.

@OP: Don't bother. Since you have taken medical classes, the MCAT will be very easy for you. At least that's how it was for me.

Yeah, I don't know about the specifics of this case; but given the stuff I have seen and had to put up with, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to OP.

There's no benefit of the doubt to give here. You need the scores, PERIOD. I encourage everybody in my situation who is looking to apply to contact Howard Hughes and ask them instead of listening to residents who are years removed from the process and spewing their "doubts" on us.

Just as general advice, take 3 AAMC full-length tests and you can take an average of how prepared you are for the MCAT.