Taking the PCAT without Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rikonyan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to apply this summer for pharmacy school and that would mean that I'd have to take the PCAT either this summer or this fall. I just finished both general chemistry classes so if I reviewed those topics I feel like I'd be strong in the chemistry section. I'm good with math so I'm not really worried about the quantitative section. I was wondering if it was possible to score well on the biology section before taking the actual classes. If I were to take the PCAT in July, that'd give me 2 months to study for the PCAT and basically teach myself the majority of the biology section. If I decided to take it in September, that'd give me 4 months. I'm pretty good with Anatomy and Physiology, it's just the General Biology section I need to focus on. I'm hoping for a mid 70's or 80's composite score. So do you guys think it's worth the shot to try to take it? Or would I just be setting myself up for failure?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the bio section is about 25% Micro, 25% AP, and the rest is basically biochem, both simple and hard. Keep in mind most prepharms are bio majors so you are competing with them in their area of expertise. It was the only low score (79) I had, and I have a bio minor. I didn't have AP though and thought I could wing it and it showed.

The good news is that it is the easiest section to improve. Hard to read or do math better, but you can improve how much you have memorized.