Taking the pre-req's will take me 3 years 1 class at a time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t510

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
If I decide to keep working (see my other thread) and take the post bacIc courses, according to my calculations, it will take me 3 years to finish. Any other recommendations? Seems sort of rough because I'm already 30.

Here is what I'm thinking. Also, what order would you do the courses in.
fall - try to get caught up on math.
Bio 1 - Jan 2016
Bio 2 - May 2016
Chem 1 - Fall 2016
Chem 2 - Jan 2017
Org 1 - May 2017
Org 2 - Fall 2017
Phys1 - jan 2018
physc 2 - may 2018
fall 2018 mcat and apply? or do you normally apply in the summer, right??

This sounds really tough because I will be 33-34 when I start med school, but it might be my best option (see my other thread about having a high paying job now). Other alternatives would be to quit my job, take a yr off my job to see if I can ace courses, or also consider a post -bacc but I probably wont get it my with my low undergrad gpa. also considering SGU post bacc program in the carib...

Any advice would be really helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not start with one class to get your feet wet? You have to get caught up on math anyway, so sign up for a trig (or just take the first bio class) at your local college for this fall, and see how it goes. If the workload feels ok, you can try taking two classes in the spring.

Also, if you're going to apply in 2018, you should plan on taking a late spring/early summer MCAT, not a fall MCAT. AMCAS opens for submission in early June; a mid to late fall application will make you very late, especially given that you're applying with a poor prior GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi
If I decide to keep working (see my other thread) and take the post bacIc courses, according to my calculations, it will take me 3 years to finish. Any other recommendations? Seems sort of rough because I'm already 30.

Bio 1 - Jan 2016
Bio 2 - May 2016
Chem 1 - Fall 2016
Chem 2 - Jan 2017
Org 1 - May 2017
Org 2 - Fall 2017
Phys1 - jan 2018
physc 2 - may 2018

This sounds really tough because I will be 33-34 when I start med school, but it might be my best option (see my other thread about having a high paying job now). Other alternatives would be to quit my job, take a yr off my job to see if I can ace courses, or also consider a post -bacc but I probably wont get it my with my low undergrad gpa. also considering SGU post bacc program in the carib...

I am older than you OP, and I am doing 2nd bachelor from scratch because of my foreign credentials. Age may be concern for you as it is for every career changer/non trad, but if you have made up your mind chasing your goal(med school) then I assume that you already know it is a long educational journey and not a marathon. I agree it will take a while to get your pre- reqs done, but it would be worth it once you apply.
if you have been out school for a while then start with one class then move on from there. I have taken 3 science classes last semester( 2 bio, 1 chem) and I am not going to say it was easy to Ace them because I do have a lot going on beside school and work.
It is away to early to decide if SMP is an option. Most of SMP's require a GPA of 3.0 plus MCAT score of 24-27. Have you taken any science classes before? what is cGPA and sGPA? you probably won't need SMP .
Also, if you're set on SMP. please, don't go to the Caribbean for 2 main reasons:1) your will have foreign credentials and you need to get evaluated.2) it is not going to weigh a lot compared to someone who has SMP in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 2 years for pre-reqs with one class at a time. I think it would be tough to do more than that while still working full time. Keeping sanity is important even before you start medical school :) you don't want to burn out before you even matriculate. I started at 34 and the main downside is what most non-trads go through. ..being a resident at 40 while your college friends are starting to semi-retire [or otherwise not busting their humps 80 hours a week].

Chooks

Whatever you do, don't touch the Caribbean for anything except a vacation.

I have to warn you that this type of schedule does nothing for us Adcoms trying to assess whether you can handle a rigorous medical school curriculum.

Under NO circumstances should you have anything to do with the Caribbean except for a vacation.

Post-bacs and SMPs are a dime a dozen. fine one that will take you and be prepared to relocate.

I suggest saving your money up and then stop working.

And some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at 50.

EDIT: heartsink got to give my line before I did! I must learn to read threads before responding to OP!

Hi

Bio 1 - Jan 2016
Bio 2 - May 2016
Chem 1 - Fall 2016
Chem 2 - Jan 2017
Org 1 - May 2017
Org 2 - Fall 2017
Phys1 - jan 2018
physc 2 - may 2018