Taking the test with an impacted wisdom tooth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm going to see the dentist monday and im pretty sure i have an impacted wisdom tooth. The pain has been pretty bad for the last three days. If I get it taken out monday am I an idiot for trying to take this test thursday or should i be good? lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Dang dude that sucks.

It depends on the skill of your dentist. My dentist had me take prescription drugs before the operation to reduce swelling and he had those suckers out in a nice clean pop that took ~1 minute/each.

I was in a lot of pain for about a day. Couldn't really eat my usual foods until about 2-3 days.

But I know other people whose experience was that it took several weeks to recover.

****, lol. Hopefully I can get it taken out monday. I think worst case scenario im going to play through the pain thursday and if i feel like its distracting me that much i void and last minute register for may 31st hopefully all the seats wouldnt be taken lol

I don't think he/she would pull it out right then and there. When I got my wisdom teeth removed I went in for a referral and then he scheduled me to come in 2 weeks later. Gave me drugs in the meantime for the pain and swelling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think he/she would pull it out right then and there. When I got my wisdom teeth removed I went in for a referral and then he scheduled me to come in 2 weeks later. Gave me drugs in the meantime for the pain and swelling.

This is the same for me. As far as i remember it really wasnt that bad. Everyone is different though and i know someone who got an infection and it was really bad but she probably wasnt cleaning it right. I think if you take care of it and rinse when youre supposed to you will be just fine. Good Luck!

thanks for the ideas; as long as he gives me something for the pain no worries. Just need to stay focused for the mcat Lol

thanks for the ideas; as long as he gives me something for the pain no worries. Just need to stay focused for the mcat Lol

Im sure he will give you antibiotics but ask if there is anything that can help. Maybe if you explain you will be taking the MCAT and he can give you something else.

I had all 4 taken out, they were coming out in angles, and I had to go in for x-ray once, and then afterwards a week later for the surgery, and it took about 1 week to get back to normal. First day I think I took the pain meds and just slept, second day slept, third day pain was slightly more manageable. Just ask how long the recovery time will be, and then make you decision, best of luck.

Definitely explain to him/her the situation and see if he can get you a good topical to put on yourself. May not happen, but the worst they can say is no. I wouldn't recommend being on an opiate based or any narcotic pain killer during the MCAT...

If there's swelling, try rinsing your mouth with a cup of warm salt water a few times every day. It brings the pain and swelling down significantly. I tried that instead of getting my wisdom tooth taken out or taking any types of drugs because those things always affect my wakefulness. The pain lasted for about a week and now I'm good to go for now. I plan on getting my wisdom tooth removed after the MCAT. Of course.... Ask your dentist but maybe you can try the salt water rinse until you actually go see him/her to ease the pain in the meanwhile and take some Tylenol.