Taking three science classes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azaila

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never took three science classes in a same time before. But I planning to take Bio, General Chem, Physics in a same time this fall quarter, and I think it will be kinda hard eventhough I am a hard working student. Have you guys ever done that? Was it doable for you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine took gen bio, organic and physics and did quite well. The second semester she took physio, physics, organic, and some science history course... I wouldn't worry, just get things done and be efficient :D

That reminds me that I have analytical, physics, and anatomy this semester:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
I did Physics 2, Cell Bio, Biochem, Organic Lab, and Bio Research in a semester -- 16 credit hours. I was also working 20 hrs a week. If you have decent study skills and are motivated you'll be fine.

I'm taking biology, gen chem, anatomy and physiology, and two non-science courses this semester. I've never taken that much science at once, but I think it will be fine. That's how it's going to be for the rest of my time in college- 3 science courses per semester. My pre-med advisor told me that med schools like to see you "stack" the sciences (and do well with it) because it shows them that you are capable.

My biggest fear would be the labs, since they take a disproportionate amount of time. However, if you can't handle that schedule then you might want to consider what it will be like when you hit med school.

My biggest fear would be the labs, since they take a disproportionate amount of time. However, if you can't handle that schedule than you might want to consider what it will be like when you hit med school.

That's what I think. If one can't handle three science courses with labs at once, then maybe med school isn't the thing for that person. From what I hear, med school is the equivalent of taking 24 credits of upper level science courses, WITH labs.

That's what I think. If one can't handle three science courses with labs at once, then maybe med school isn't the thing for that person. From what I hear, med school is the equivalent of taking 24 credits of upper level science courses, WITH labs.

No one cares. Medicine is a passion. Its fun to take that many credit equivalents. :scared:

I personally think it's harder to take several non-science courses in a semester. Especially if they're history or psych classes that require a lot of reading. Science classes are easy for me, non-science classes take a little more effort.

I second this, cultural anthropology was my hardest class!
I personally think it's harder to take several non-science courses in a semester. Especially if they're history or psych classes that require a lot of reading. Science classes are easy for me, non-science classes take a little more effort.

Indeed. Fretting about taking three science courses at once seems laughable once you see a medical school courseload.

OP, three science classes is fine. Just work hard and it'll be ok!

I took four science courses and one writing course along with 15 hrs/week in lab last semester. It was my worst semester yet, both gradewise and emotionally :scared:. But just three science courses should be fine.

I never took three science classes in a same time before. But I planning to take Bio, General Chem, Physics in a same time this fall quarter, and I think it will be kinda hard eventhough I am a hard working student. Have you guys ever done that? Was it doable for you guys?

If those classes are taught with lab, it will be tough, no doubt about it. But so is med school. It can be done. Stay on top of the reading and you should be alright.

Members don't see this ad :)
aren't medical students required to take many more science courses in a semester than this? ... if so, shouldn't pre-meds be able to handle a similar workload?

it's doable, I once took 5 science class in the same time, and one of them being a 8 hours lab.

It was just mind-numbling non-stop studying.

If you can get good grade with 3 science classes, go for it. otherwise, I wouldn't sacrifice GPA over "rigor of coursework"

It looks like you are just starting out in the sciences. I'm not very familiar with the quarter system, but from reading other threads I gather that few courses are taken at a time, but perhaps there are more contact hours per week. In a semester system you'd be in class for 6hrs/wk for each of those classes, including lab time, and you'd be taking at least one other class.

For me, the most difficult part of doing multiple lab sciences at one time hasn't been the studying/learning part, but fitting them into a schedule. If you've already created a schedule and the times don't conflict, you should be good. Read the material before class, do lots of chem & phys problems, and don't fall behind. I like reading/writing intensive classes, but like other posters, find that schedules heavy in the math/sciences are easier to cope with because I either get it, or I don't. When I don't, I know exactly what I have to work on.

This semester I have 2 science classes with labs, 1 math, 1 programming, 1 foreign language, 1 Eng, and 30 hrs research lab. I wish I could fit one more math in with it. Just because there are topics I'd like to learn, not because I need the credits.

This semester I have 2 science classes with labs, 1 math, 1 programming, 1 foreign language, 1 Eng, and 30 hrs research lab. I wish I could fit one more math in with it. Just because there are topics I'd like to learn, not because I need the credits.

You sound like the guy at my school taking (I kid you not) 29 credits in one semester. Including 7 science classes (3 of them with labs, I believe), 2 foreign language classes, and a history class. He's going for FOUR majors and a minor, and still plans on graduating in 4 years. Crazy kid...

Wow! MVenus, he does sound crazy! I tallied 33 credits from that list you gave, if 3 classes have labs. I did 2 foreign lang, 2 math, & 1 history over the summer.

I'm only planning on one major, and maybe a couple of minors if it pans out that way. I see one place he may be coming from, though. It's like smorgasbord with all those tempting classes and this one 4 year shot to try to get as much from them as possible. I'm sure that it's a bio degree that I want, but there are so many interesting psych, math, computer, chem, phil, and poli sci classes, and I'd like to become competent using at least a couple of other languages. This is our opportunity.

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but what is the point of taking 4 majors? It's still just an undergraduate bachelor degree. I can understand being a double major, but 4 just seems pointless. Would he get 4 degrees or something lol?

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but what is the point of taking 4 majors? It's still just an undergraduate bachelor degree. I can understand being a double major, but 4 just seems pointless. Would he get 4 degrees or something lol?

He'll get four degrees. But, with that amount of work, I doubt he'll get a life, laid, time to himself, or fun. And that's what college is about.

Took Chem I, Phys I & II, Bio VIII, Organic Chem XII and of course metaphysico-theologico-cosmolonigology, taught by the great Pangloss himself, condensed in a 6 week semester.

But seriously OP: If you've been doing comfortably well with 2 sci courses (A- average), I think you'll be okay adding a third. Just be on your toes.

He'll get four degrees. But, with that amount of work, I doubt he'll get a life, laid, time to himself, or fun. And that's what college is about.

Yeah, he pretty much says his life is school. Which is such a shame. And he's the OCD type that dies if they don't get a perfect score on exams.

It's definitely not impossible.
Took General Chem 1, Physics I and Bio I and Calc I in one semester and General Chem 2, Physics II, Bio II and Stats in the next and was fine.

You just really need to make sure you stay on top of your reading and don't slack off and you'll be just fine :)

no offense
but..... this is to all of those worrying about taking how many science classes in a semester,

if you think you will have problems handling two, three, four or even five science classes in a semester, would you think you will handle medical school?

I think that way as well...that if one can't handle this, then how will one handle med school. But some med schools use block systems, so you only take one class for a a couple of months. I would find this a lot easier, despite the greater volume of material (1 class vs 5 classes in 5 separate disciplines).

also, the sheer thought that you're in med school and well on your way to be a doctor would personally be a very strong motivator to get through it all...

You'll be fine :)

My classmate (she's a little insane) is taking Genetics, Organic, Advanced physiology, and calc all at once.... So, what the hell I say!! :)

Don't want to sound too harsh, but if you can't handle three science courses in a semester you may not be cut out for med school

I'm taking seven this semester

Don't want to sound too harsh, but if you can't handle three science courses in a semester you may not be cut out for med school

I'm taking seven this semester

thats hilarious man... 7 courses?!

yea he is right though, if you cant handle three than med school is prob not the way to go. i've taken three science courses with labs in each for the past 3 semesters... including one semester with cell biology, biochem and honors research project.

although I got all A's that semester, I am no longer premed (well maybe 1% of me is) as I am doing investment banking now?!

My concern would be whether or not this is your first semester of university. If so, well... I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, it's doable. But most kids get lost their first semester or so of college by getting pulled into the fun part and not the study all the time part (who woulda thunk it? :rolleyes:).

Basically, if you're willing to put in the time (& it will take a lot of it if you're aiming for A's as you should be) then you'll be fine. If you're not, rethink it and try later when you're more used to college.

Its doable. Ask me how I'm doing three weeks into the semester with 4 science courses. :(
I'm taking 4 this fall, too.:laugh: Never taken more than 2 at once....blah.:cool:

I'm taking 4 this fall, too.:laugh: Never taken more than 2 at once....blah.:cool:
I have analytical chem where I heard the professor say to a colleague, "Usually the average on an exam is 40-50 and I curve it." I have physical chem which nothing need be said. I have biochem and heard that its possible to get an A. And I have microbiology (hopefully with my freshman bio prof) to stress me out as well. Oh boy, let the fun begin.

ahaydt, Micro is really fun :) You will enjoy it. Lab is actually one of the funner ones. Way better than genchem laboratory.

I'm taking ochem, physics 2, biostats, and bio 2. ALL with labs except biostats. I really don't know what I was thinking.

I have analytical chem where I heard the professor say to a colleague, "Usually the average on an exam is 40-50 and I curve it." I have physical chem which nothing need be said. I have biochem and heard that its possible to get an A. And I have microbiology (hopefully with my freshman bio prof) to stress me out as well. Oh boy, let the fun begin.
I'm taking microbio, too. Also, A&P, Orgo II, and Environmental Chem. However, from what people have told me, if you work hard, you're gonna get an A in those (I didn't have any problem snagging an A+ for Orgo I, so I imagine this being the case). But, I don't really wanna work hard, lol.:rolleyes::laugh: Oh, and the 5th class is Biomedical Ethics. *snore* Interview prep...:sleep:

There are a slew of posts here telling you that if you're worried about taking 3 sciences at once, you should worry about how you'd survive med school. Don't let them get to you. If you're a science major, you'll work your way up to carrying more. If you're not, you don't have to worry about that. Right now you are just starting off on your prereqs. It's better to carry a course load you can handle and do well in than it is to take on too much, lower your GPA, and not learn all you can from each course. The more you retain from these first courses, the easier the next steps and MCAT studying will be. As you go along, you get a feel for how much you can comfortably handle and you'll set your schedule accordingly.

Your 3 classes all have labs to go with them. That doubles the classroom hours. When you hear people telling you that they are taking 5 to 7 science classes, it doesn't mean that they are taking that many classes with labs to go with each. Seven standard combo classes would be a minimum of 42 contact hrs/wk. plus study time. Not all science classes involve labs. Some places list the lectures and associated labs as separate courses. It boils down to the same number of contact hours, but can sound like more. There also tends to be information overlap in upper level courses and by then you've not only built up a good foundation, but have learned how to study effectively. It's less scary than the first time when you're wondering if 2 or 3 science classes are too much. I find that sciences take more time IN the classroom, but less time OUT of it than the writing intensive classes.

I won't speak for anyone else, but the times I mention my full schedule to anyone, I'm either slightly edgy and wondering why I'm doing this, or being a bit prideful that I'm handling it and still enjoying a life. It all depends on how tired I am or how much fun I've had lately.

Also, you are on a quarter system. I think students on quarter schedules might take fewer classes at a time, but I haven't found anyone to tell me whether that's correct or not.

Good luck! Have a successful quarter and you won't worry as much about the next. I won't say that you'll never worry because that's just part of the game when you have a goal.

I just don't get how you guys can balance a social life and also volunteer and EC's with taking four science classes.

I just don't get how you guys can balance a social life and also volunteer and EC's with taking four science classes.
Easy. We just get really-really bad grades. :smuggrin:

:laugh:

aren't medical students required to take many more science courses in a semester than this? ... if so, shouldn't pre-meds be able to handle a similar workload?

Ideally yes. But there is a big difference between a pre-med and a med student. I probably wouldn't have been focused enough 4 years ago to take all those courses at the same time, but I know now that it wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Also, you are on a quarter system. I think students on quarter schedules might take fewer classes at a time, but I haven't found anyone to tell me whether that's correct or not.

You can take the same number of classes on a quarter system. But with quarters, you have fall, winter, and spring, instead of having just fall and spring like you do with semesters. Since 3 quarters = 2 semesters, when med schools require, say, a year of English, that means 3 English classes if you are on quarters, even though an English class is 3 credits in both systems.

In Canada the norm of a science degree is to take 4 out of 5 degree some students take 5 out of 5 science. I'm taking 4.5 this year. Its very doable.

I'm taking microbio, too. Also, A&P, Orgo II, and Environmental Chem. However, from what people have told me, if you work hard, you're gonna get an A in those (I didn't have any problem snagging an A+ for Orgo I, so I imagine this being the case). But, I don't really wanna work hard, lol.:rolleyes::laugh: Oh, and the 5th class is Biomedical Ethics. *snore* Interview prep...:sleep:

I really want to take A&P but I'm afraid what it will do to my GPA. I don't like stepping on landmines and would rather just cross the bridge when I get to med school (read as if any adcom feels sorry). Fortunately my bio class was pretty detail oriented on the major systems and parts of the body so I have not struggled too badly with biology on MCAT preps. Have fun with A&P, I hear its an awesome class. I wish I could take medical ethics, but my university only really has ethics classes for the pharm majors. :( Not to mention I don't have free time in my schedule until the upcoming spring (12 Credits and probably MCAT prep) and then possibly in 4th year. I love a tight curriculum. :mad:

I really want to take A&P but I'm afraid what it will do to my GPA. I don't like stepping on landmines and would rather just cross the bridge when I get to med school (read as if any adcom feels sorry). Fortunately my bio class was pretty detail oriented on the major systems and parts of the body so I have not struggled too badly with biology on MCAT preps. Have fun with A&P, I hear its an awesome class. I wish I could take medical ethics, but my university only really has ethics classes for the pharm majors. :( Not to mention I don't have free time in my schedule until the upcoming spring (12 Credits and probably MCAT prep) and then possibly in 4th year. I love a tight curriculum. :mad:

I wanted to take A&P when I was going to community college in high school, but my mom told me that it's really hard and they use it to weed out nursing majors, etc so I got really scared and decided not to take it. Well, I took it this past semester and it was amazing! Totally my favorite class ever. I had taken no previous college biology so the professor was really hesitant to let me in the class, but I finally convinced her and I did extremely well in the class and found it to be not that hard. If you have the opportunity to take the class, it's really exciting and interesting.

Well, if you count labs separately, and count biostats as a science class, then fall semester last year I was taking 5 science classes: biostats, ochem 1, ochem 1 lab, physics 2 lab (just the lab, not the lecture), and cell bio. Last semester I took 4: ochem 2, ochem 2 lab, physiology, and genetics. Next semester I'm taking 2-3, depending on what you consider my senior seminar.

Of course, I'm taking more humanities classes as I go to make up for it. Like I said before, science classes are easy. For biology, if you understand the concepts, it's pretty easy to memorize the stuff you need to know. For ochem, it's just a lot of memorization. Humanities classes, on the other hand, require analysis, and new ideas. That takes more effort than just memorizing, and in some of them, you have to do memorization as well.

I'm good (well, getting better) at multitasking. When I'm chatting with my boyfriend on the computer, I'm also writing up an essay, or doing some of my EC activities (I help run a website, and that takes up a lot of time). I'm also an auditory learner, so sitting in lecture and taking notes there is the meat of my studying. This will probably all change when I get to medical school, but it's how my system works now. The hardest part for me is keeping up with readings, since I don't do much of that in my science classes.

Have you guys ever done that?.

try my spring semester, '05:

Comparative Morphology of Vertebrates
Anat & Phys 2
Organic Chem 2
Cell Biology
Medical Ethics (philosophy minor :D)

Was it doable for you guys?

All A's and a B+ in Orgo

if i can come out of that semester OK, you can handle 3 science courses.

I think it will be kinda hard even though I am a hard working student.

just take them seriously from the start; they will require more work than your non-science courses.