Taking time off during dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gracejoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a pre-dental senior right now and I'll be applying to dental schools very soon. I'm a female student with strong family values, and thinking much ahead into the future, I was curious how common it is to take a year off during dental school (i.e. taking a year off going into year III or year IV). Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless there is a serious, legit reason for taking a year off, schools do not aloow you to just take time off when you feel you want time off. If you are thinking of having children while in school, plenty of women have children while in school. How much time off you get depends on the school. The most I have seen is 2 weeks. Again, it may be different at other schools. If there where to be serious medical complications that interfered with your ability to complete that school year on time, schools may consider letting you repeat a year If you just feel you want to have a year so you can spend time with your child that first year, I highly doubt any school will grant you permission to take the year off.

Reactions: 1 user
No way that's going to happen. If you think about it, it basically requires that they leave a spot vacant in the class you're leaving after you leave while simultaneously holding a spot for you in the next class until you join. If you take off after 1st year, the school loses out on 3 years of money from you and has to hold a spot open in the next class for you to drop into.

Time off after 3rd year means they only lose 1 year after you leave but then there would have to somehow be a spot available in the class behind you for you to come back into meaning they would have had to leave a spot open in that class waiting for you for 3 years! You'd be costing the school and entire 4-year student's worth of income from their perspective meaning you'd be effectively taking up 2 spots in dental school.

We had a guy leave for the military for a few months and jumped right back in with us and actually graduated on time but I have a hard time believing you could just take a hike for a year and come back and finish up.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you ever do decide to have a child in dental school - remember that there is no shame or guilt in being pregnant during dental school. Please never feel pressured into have an abortion - a decision that you will regret for the rest of your life. Take time to raise your baby - and don't let anyone pressure you or force you into choosing between your child and your career.
I believe that women are strong enough to have both : children and a good career in life. Please don't terminate your pregnancy just because you're worried about finishing dental school. Pray that God will help you find a way.

We had a gal drop out of my class for one year to have a child. She picked up with the next year's class with no problem. (As I recall, there was a slot or two open in that class due to "attrition".)