Taking time off for research during residency????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muscles

student of the month
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it for traditional categorical (I'm not on a research track)?
Difficult to do?
Looked down upon by administration?
benefits/risks?
Is it worth it?

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

How common is it for traditional categorical (I'm not on a research track)?
Difficult to do?
Looked down upon by administration?
benefits/risks?
Is it worth it?

thanks...
Hi muscles,

I assume this is an extension of our discussion about getting into a competitive brand-name cardiology fellowship. It is possible to get into these programs without research but is simply less probable. For these type of applicants, they either come from high profile training programs or show a prior commitment to academics through teaching and administrative achievements (like chief residency etc.). Certainly these requirements do not apply if the goal is to get into a cardiology fellowship that does not have a track record for churning out academicians (generally not that difficult by comparison).

If you do not come from one of the top programs, then you seriously need to consider doing productive research with a nationally recognized mentor, however you organize it. Unfortunately, your time is pretty much accounted for in a categorical program. Most program directors do not take kindly to taking sizable time off during the training years (except maternity leave).

Many people applying for cardiology take some time off to do research after residency to bolster their research and academic credentials. Only problem is that these people delay their application process for a few years. This path is not uncommon.

Thanks GrendelsDragon. Very good insights