Taking time off or quit ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfarm11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a final year student and having a career crisis. I feel like this profession is too overwhelming for me. I have always been a quiet person but for the past few years, my anxiety skyrocketed. I stuck out throughout the didactic classes with professional help throughout the school but my anxiety has been pervasive. Every rotation has been miserable. My rest of the rotations are difficult clinical rotations. Even with all the professional help almost every week, I just dread going to the rotations and feels like my life has become miserable. I just can’t handle the fast paced work, the big responsibility of verifying prescriptions while multi tasking. I get worried and unable to function properly under pressure of time.

The work requires constant focus with several distractions; minute-to-minute stress unlike other office/project based jobs. I knew this was the case by never anticipated that my mental health would worsen and be so difficult to treat. I did work during the school at one of the chain pharmacy and I was miserable. I wanted to drop out but thought that things would change but they have gotten worse. Unfortunately, I am one of those types that love the science but due to my personality, anxiety, not cut out for the work. I know I will be called stupid for realizing this so late but that’s how my life panned out so be kind. Looking for positives.

I don’t have a back up plan. I don’t’ really enjoy any other major because I haven’t been exposed to anything besides bio/pharmacy. Computer/IT is something I am remotely interested in but have no experience or schooling. I worry that things may be the same in other fields and it’s my personality and inability to handle life challenges the problem. That’s why it’s so hard for me to quit the program. I dread going back to rotations every minute but at the same time fear how life would be after quitting. I don’t have the energy to start over in a different field. I feel so lost and depressed because I have spent 7 years of my life and 50k for nothing. It’s weighing down on me heavily. I worry all the time and lost interest in everything else. Simple daily life tasks seem difficult to me.

My close friends are telling me to push and finish so that at least I have a degree to show for non-pharmacy jobs but I am not sure whether I should put in another 15k for a degree that I couldn’t handle or use that 15k for some other degree. I absolutely don’t care about the money. I will be happy with a 40k job that I am not stressed 24/7. Just enough to pay bills, live in cheap apartment and pay off loans. Any advice for moving forward?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a final year student and having a career crisis. I feel like this profession is too overwhelming for me. I have always been a quiet person but for the past few years, my anxiety skyrocketed. I stuck out throughout the didactic classes with professional help throughout the school but my anxiety has been pervasive. Every rotation has been miserable. My rest of the rotations are difficult clinical rotations. Even with all the professional help almost every week, I just dread going to the rotations and feels like my life has become miserable. I just can’t handle the fast paced work, the big responsibility of verifying prescriptions while multi tasking. I get worried and unable to function properly under pressure of time.

The work requires constant focus with several distractions; minute-to-minute stress unlike other office/project based jobs. I knew this was the case by never anticipated that my mental health would worsen and be so difficult to treat. I did work during the school at one of the chain pharmacy and I was miserable. I wanted to drop out but thought that things would change but they have gotten worse. Unfortunately, I am one of those types that love the science but due to my personality, anxiety, not cut out for the work. I know I will be called stupid for realizing this so late but that’s how my life panned out so be kind. Looking for positives.

I don’t have a back up plan. I don’t’ really enjoy any other major because I haven’t been exposed to anything besides bio/pharmacy. Computer/IT is something I am remotely interested in but have no experience or schooling. I worry that things may be the same in other fields and it’s my personality and inability to handle life challenges the problem. That’s why it’s so hard for me to quit the program. I dread going back to rotations every minute but at the same time fear how life would be after quitting. I don’t have the energy to start over in a different field. I feel so lost and depressed because I have spent 7 years of my life and 50k for nothing. It’s weighing down on me heavily. I worry all the time and lost interest in everything else. Simple daily life tasks seem difficult to me.

My close friends are telling me to push and finish so that at least I have a degree to show for non-pharmacy jobs but I am not sure whether I should put in another 15k for a degree that I couldn’t handle or use that 15k for some other degree. I absolutely don’t care about the money. I will be happy with a 40k job that I am not stressed 24/7. Just enough to pay bills, live in cheap apartment and pay off loans. Any advice for moving forward?

I would say go for an industry fellowship, but it might be a bit late to land one of those. Maybe look into long-term care or home infusion? Those don't seem as stressful.

I feel like as you will get better at working as a pharmacist, your anxiety will decrease. It won't go away, but maybe you'll get an anxiety episode at work once every month or 2 instead of once a week. Of course, retail is too stressful for anyone with anxiety issues, but I think hospital and clinical are a bit better (though you'll likely still have a lot of stress in the first year or so).

Reactions: 1 users

You've gone too far to quit. Finish your last year.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 get the degree! Trust me, whatever it takes.

Reactions: 4 users
It's very simple: hold on for dear life, survive the last semester and only then make your choice

Reactions: 3 users
Go to a psychiatrist. Get on some medication so you can finish the degree.

Honestly, all jobs are stressful. You will always have a boss who is never satisfied and will want to get the last drop of blood from you. You will always have to look over your shoulder. Life is hard.

Haha kind of reminds me of myself

Except I just get angry and enraged

That's why I'm trying to get overnights

Just screw the "multitasking" and focus on verifying

And if people have to wait then tell them to wait

Seek mental help, there is nothing wrong with taking psych meds...set any biases aside. Being thrown into new and different environments for rotations is tough, just try to cope & learn as much as you can from your preceptors.

After about a year of practice in the same setting, your anxieties should subside. I won't lie, things are rough, dramatic, & mentally exhausting right out of school....especially when dinguses judge you for not being knowledgeable just because you appear "young". Earn your degree, gain some experience, & never stop learning in regards to meds.

Reactions: 1 user
@OP: look back at what you have been thru already in school. I am in the same year as you and have been through the same. The past 3.5 years are a clear indication that you can juggle the stresses of the pharmacy world. You have balanced therapeutics, pharmacology, exams and practicals. You are more prepared than you think. Push through the next semester, get licensed. There are so many different areas of pharmacy that you can go into, many which are far less stressful than the others. Like others have said, stay away from retail but a smaller hospital staff pharmacist, pharmacy benefits manager, insurance companies, industry, consultant pharmacy, infusion, compounding... The list goes on. All of these are lower stress environments that I guarantee you can handle and that you will grow to be very comfortable in. If you look on this forum just these past couple days there was one poster who said he woman suffering from boreout (the stage where you are so comfortable that you are bored out of your mind). Work becomes very repetitive in many environments and you will be able to quickly develop the confidence you need to overcome your anxiety. It will become a thing of the past and you'll be a role model and preceptor for future pharmacists too.

Tough it out. Believe in yourself and your abilities and you will overcome the anxiety.

It sounds like you could use some counseling or anti-anxiety meds. Take care of your mental health, finish your degree, and then figure out what to do. And remember that having a PharmD does not mean that you're obligated to work retail. ;)

Finish your degree! Maybe mail-order or work- from-home order entry is your golden ticket.

you have come this far, although pharmacy is not a good career anymore you might as well go with it at this point.

I am thinking of taking the semester off but not sure. I know students in med school take time off sometimes for an year. Idk if it would help. I am fine during breaks and feel like I am wasting time but once I go back, everything comes back again. Professional help has been slightly helpful but running out of ideas and being stuck. I really wish I could get better and have a good career. Basically I would be spending most of time at work so if I am miserable at that, then life is miserable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finish your degree! Maybe mail-order or work- from-home order entry is your golden ticket.

I second this. Long-term care might be an option for you too.

You ARE in a field where you could still make a good salary, and probably get bennies too, for working part-time, which would be wise if you decide to pursue another degree.

How common are work-from-home pharmacy jobs? What does a pharmacist in one of these positions actually do? Thanks....

Let's see here.
You have a job. You made it to 4th year. You are not failing anything.
And you have anxiety that is getting worse.
I don't get it?

Try going to the gym and spend time with family.

^^ I did but you know it takes trial and error with meds and some meds make me really tired, or dizzy and I was unable to function well enough to meet the demands of rotations back to back for an year.

I like you and am sympathetic. Change fields (you can do it) or find a non retail pharmacy job. You seem like a decently smart guy despite the lack of multitasking and adaptability. Trust me, multitasking is not a virtue unless you are able to do so on your own terms

Guys tend to be able to focus more and there are considerable advantages to focusing. If you've got the brains that is. Even so, many white collar fields are not so technically demanding: you are not tasked with winning hard science Nobel prizes. If you've got the brains that work in a different way they may still be put to good use

I remember one of my patients about two years back who came in for a flu shot. He told me that he too had a pharmacy degree, and that he had just sold his own company. He asked me if I had ever considered industry, and suggested that I leave retail, "you can't focus", which doesn't take a genius to figure out, but is suggestive of the kinds of possibilities available

That being said, make sure you are getting plenty of good sleep - which will help executive functions tremendously, good nutrition, and no inadvertent (we hope) heavy metals - see mercury from fish, excessive anticoagulation (risk cerebral microhemorrhage not just in the elderly but perhaps especially so in younger active guys) - see fish oil, anticholinergic action - antihistamines and some sleep aids, androgen suppression etc. All things in moderation

Last edited:
How common are work-from-home pharmacy jobs? What does a pharmacist in one of these positions actually do? Thanks....

I know HCA hospitals have plenty of pharmacist do order entry from home. And they do what it sounds like, verify provider order entries from home. From what I heard from colleagues, they enter in routine meds (HTN, Diabetes, etc) and leave drugs that require clinical monitoring (warfarin, vanco) for the in-patient pharmacists. The positions at home generally make less money, but hey, you have less gas, car maintenance, clothes, expenses etc. ;)

I know this sounds like a broken record but I agree do everything you can to stay away from retail, definitely go for something like managed care, closed door iv infusion maybe. You've made it this far! Don't give up, there has to be a suitable pharmacy job for you. I think I bear some resemblance to you, I just grinned and toughed it out my last years in school. Based on experience it is the best choice if at all possible. I definitely thought about quitting as well. Even though I am now stuck in retail, I have managed to deal with it. (grocery store chain helps, not one of the big three (now 2 oops) drug chains)

Make sure to get regular exercise, particularly with other friends and try to eat the best natural diet you can, it does make a huge difference in you mood and will help you cope. Also plenty of uninterrupted sleep is a must. Hang in there!!

Finish! Even if you never use your pharmd you're so close.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Yep, just take each day one at a time, try not to get too overwhelmed, battle it out and before you know it you have your degree. I feel for you, I even failed a rotation (rare at my school), but I battled back, even retook the Same rotation with the same preceptor, and it all worked out. Just remember, you can only control so much of what goes around you, the rest you just have to cope with until you have the opportunity to better your situation. Good luck!

Step 1 is to finish the degree. You are 1 semester away. Once you finish then make a decision. You could even work a crappy job part time 20 hours a week and still be making more than the 40k/year that you said you would be happy with. There's also LTC/mail-order/home infusion/independant pharmacy/small grocery chain... all low stress for the most part.

I work from home processing PA. It was fun at first but I'm over it. It's taken over my life.