Taking Trig/precalc in a local community school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taking Trig/precalc in a local community school?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Midom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So trig in my school is almost impossible to get an A in, I've even heard horror stories people taking trig and retaking it like 3 times. There is this cool class that my local community college offers that has half the semester precalc and the other half trig, and it is and accepted credit at my university. Will taking it look bad on my application? I only need it so I can actually take physics in the university. It would be my only class i take there. Will this effect my chances or should I go ahead and take it? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody will care (I did my first year at a JC and only the super highly ranked schools mentioned anything about me taking some of my prereq courses at a JC. I ended up going to med school in California anyway)
That being said, Trig/Precalc are super easy classes that should not be an obstacle to someone later planning to take Calc/Phys/Ochem/MCAT/.

You can't hide from the weeder classes/exams forever. Might be worth it to find out earlier rather than later whether you're someone who's going to get weeded out of the Pre-med sphere.

Also, This belongs in pre-allo

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, unless things have changed in the 4 years since I applied to medical school, Trig and PreCalc ARE NOT PREREQs.

Aren't the PreReqs for med school still: Calc, Physics, GenChem, Ochem - The general feeling when I applied was that taking these at a Uni looks better.

Also, unless things have changed in the 4 years since I applied to medical school, Trig and PreCalc ARE NOT PREREQs.

Aren't the PreReqs for med school still: Calc, Physics, GenChem, Ochem - The general feeling when I applied was that taking these at a Uni looks better.

I don't think calculus is required at most schools anymore either. I think many schools have a 1 year of math requirement, with "math" being either calculus or stats.

Trig lol I learned that in middle school
This belongs in hsdn

Reactions: 4 users
So trig in my school is almost impossible to get an A in, I've even heard horror stories people taking trig and retaking it like 3 times. There is this cool class that my local community college offers that has half the semester precalc and the other half trig, and it is and accepted credit at my university. Will taking it look bad on my application? I only need it so I can actually take physics in the university. It would be my only class i take there. Will this effect my chances or should I go ahead and take it? Thanks so much!
Go ahead and take it at the CC, but remember that whatever grade you get counts in the application GPA generated for you by the application service, regardless of your university's policy. You'll be required to submit an original transcript from the CC no matter how it appears on your university transcript.