Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Talking with your hands during an interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by alexamasan, 04.25.10.

1. Thanks to Crack the DAT
  1. alexamasan

alexamasan

Pre-Dental
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Do you guys think talking with your hands will have a negative impression on an interview? Do you think it would depend on the extent of you talking with your hands?
  2. UCLAbruinz

UCLAbruinz

SDN 2+ Year Member
    you mean body expression using ur hands? it's a good thing, you're putting your emotion and heart to what you're talking about. just don't stare at your hands.
  3. alexamasan

alexamasan

Pre-Dental
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    To just clarify, yes, that is what I mean, and thank you for your opinion :D
  4. MrBeans

MrBeans MrBeans

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I see nothing wrong with talking with your hands, provided the verbalization aspect is very strong.

It's a natural expression anyway.
  5. Vicviper

Vicviper Steve McAwesome

Dentist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Be yourself, that's the most important thing. If you use your hands a lot to express yourself when you normally talk, just do that.
  6. WVStunna

WVStunna

Talking with your hands demonstrates exceptional manual dexterity.
  7. fsddsms

fsddsms

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    lol my hands were flailing around at all my interviews. I think it's just something I do in general though. But during certain interviews I'd see them staring at my hands moving around than paying attention to me at times with smiles aha. The hand gestures do help keep them from falling asleep though and shows your enthusiasm. Just my opinion.
  8. Saddleshoes

Saddleshoes

Dentist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    All the practicing dentist I know "talk" with their hands every day at work. It's called dentistry.
  9. OU2010

OU2010

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm assuming you're a Dago like myself and if you DON'T talk with your hands then it will have a negative impact.
  10. FutureDent020

FutureDent020 Senior Member

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Talking with your hands is pointless and distracting to the interviewer. But I can't have a conversation without constantly doing it. I noticed my interviewer at NYU following my hands instead of looking at me.
  11. MrBeans

MrBeans MrBeans

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Although I agree, I also think that talking with your hands can create a more engaging conversation if done naturally and properly.

alexamasan, you may want to go to interview workshops and get yourself evaluated so you're 100% confident going into your interviews. :)

12. anschutz1913

anschutz1913

Pre-Dental
    Please refrain from talking with hand gestures. It is more important to have your hands hang at your side with an erect posture, as you maintain uninterrupted eye contact, and speak with a low, monotone voice about why you like dentistry.
  13. Blue Panther

Blue Panther

Dental Student
    This has happened to me on several occasions during the interview season.
  14. s2agrado

s2agrado

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm a hand talker too...and also saw them looking at my hands during my interviews, which made me self-concious (thinking it was a distraction for them).

I would try to minimize it and maybe use facial expressions and tone to express your enthusiasm...but at the same time, you have to keep it real, don't fake anything--just try to find a balance.

I know when I was doing mock interviews for engineering jobs, I was told NOT to talk so much with my hands that it is a distraction and most interviewers won't like it.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal