TAMHSC vs TTUHSC vs UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which medical school would you attend given the chance?

• Texas A&M

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Texas Tech Lubbock

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • UTMB Galveston

Votes: 37 50.0%

• Total voters

MSUspartansx4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I fortunately received pre-match acceptances to Texas A&M, Texas Tech Lubbock, and UTMB Galveston yesterday, and for those of you in Texas or those who know about these schools, what would be your recommendation? I thoroughly enjoyed each of them and would love to attend any of the 3, and thus (fortunately) have a tough decision to make. I've been comparing curriculum, match lists, facilities, location, etc (cost is about the same ~$16,000/year)...but was wondering if maybe there was something I missed on interview days that set either of the schools apart? I would appreciate any input! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UTMB all the way! Short drive to Houston, chill environment, and they mentioned that things might move to P/F (Not too sure if it has been confirmed yet though).

Thanks for the input! I know all 3 of the school's grading systems are pretty similar at the moment, but I did hear the word "chill" environment from almost everyone I talked to from UTMB haha that's awesome. Are all the schools comparable to some degree though or is there 1-2 of them that are considered to be worse than the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
DFW so I'll have to move regardless.

Then you might want to consider that at A&M you could do three of your years in Dallas. If that plays into your decision at all!

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at all 3 and can say that you'd get a fine education at any of them. It really depends on where you feel the most at home.

For me, I'm very very happy that I'm at Tech.

Then you might want to consider that at A&M you could do three of your years in Dallas. If that plays into your decision at all!

That's a part of my decision for sure! They mentioned 1.5 years of pre-clinical years in B/CS before moving on to other cities but their websites says "1+3" model (1 year in B/CS followed by 3 in Dallas, Houston, Round Rock, or temple)... So is it 1.5 or 1 year? That confused me.

I interviewed at all 3 and can say that you'd get a fine education at any of them. It really depends on where you feel the most at home.

For me, I'm very very happy that I'm at Tech.

That's definitely encouraging! Thanks

If you want any specifics, you can ask me here or through PM.

As someone who experienced all 3, what made you choose TTUHSC specifically if you don't mind answering? And how did you rank them before match day (if you're a Texas resident)?

I liked Texas A and M the best out of those schools because of their new 1.5 year curriculum, but I didn't interview at TTUHSC, so I can't speak for them.

I agree with @Afford. I did not interview at TTUHSC and I just interviewed at UTMB this weekend, but A&M left a really good impression on me during my interview there a few months ago. The 1.5 year curriculum looks great, the option to rotate in Dallas (or Houston, or Round Rock, or wherever) for 2.5 years is awesome, and Scott&White is arguably the best hospital system in Texas. It's a great opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who experienced all 3, what made you choose TTUHSC specifically if you don't mind answering? And how did you rank them before match day (if you're a Texas resident)?
Kind of like I said, it just felt natural to me when I was came for my interview. Of all the schools I went to, I felt the most at home at Tech. I could tell that I fit in well with the people here, and knew that I would perform at my best somewhere that I was comfortable.

Really, the only downside here is location, but it's honestly not that bad, especially from DFW. Plus you're not going to have the opportunity to go home all the time, anyway. There are many more positives than negatives, that's for sure. One big benefit that you definitely won't get at UTMB, and I'm not sure about A&M, is the connection with the undergrad campus. Free admission to all home sporting events and access to the super awesome rec center, with an epic pool area for the summer months! Also the HSC student center is a really cool place to hang out, and you get to meet people from all the other programs in the HSC.

With regard to the 3 schools in question, my ranking was

Tech
A&M
UTMB

UTMB was actually my number one out of all schools before I started interviews, but I knew as soon as I got there that it wasn't for me. They tried to emphasize being chill so much that it seemed fake, and all the construction there was a big turn-off, as well.

I interviewed at the Temple A&M campus and liked it well enough, but not as much as Tech. I can't comment on the College Station campus, so I don't know how the facilities differ between those two campuses, but one thing I remember for sure was that the sim center was really lacking compared to the one at Tech.

Kind of like I said, it just felt natural to me when I was came for my interview. Of all the schools I went to, I felt the most at home at Tech. I could tell that I fit in well with the people here, and knew that I would perform at my best somewhere that I was comfortable.

Really, the only downside here is location, but it's honestly not that bad, especially from DFW. Plus you're not going to have the opportunity to go home all the time, anyway. There are many more positives than negatives, that's for sure. One big benefit that you definitely won't get at UTMB, and I'm not sure about A&M, is the connection with the undergrad campus. Free admission to all home sporting events and access to the super awesome rec center, with an epic pool area for the summer months! Also the HSC student center is a really cool place to hang out, and you get to meet people from all the other programs in the HSC.

With regard to the 3 schools in question, my ranking was

Tech
A&M
UTMB

UTMB was actually my number one out of all schools before I started interviews, but I knew as soon as I got there that it wasn't for me. They tried to emphasize being chill so much that it seemed fake, and all the construction there was a big turn-off, as well.

I interviewed at the Temple A&M campus and liked it well enough, but not as much as Tech. I can't comment on the College Station campus, so I don't know how the facilities differ between those two campuses, but one thing I remember for sure was that the sim center was really lacking compared to the one at Tech.

Great points, I really loved that about Tech too! I interviewed at the B/CS campus, which is associated with A&M's undergrad (so we can attend sporting events, use the rec center, intramural sports, libraries, facilities, etc) They have an extremely nice SIM center, and I know they just built a brand new anatomy lab there. Though I remember Tech and A&M's SIM centers to be very nice, UTMB's seemed to be pretty awful and outdated, unfortunately. (I know this doesn't = worse education, however).

Last edited:
Tech and A & M have you move somewhere else for your rotations. For me that put them at the very bottom of my list. Not something I wanted to deal with.

Tech and A & M have you move somewhere else for your rotations. For me that put them at the very bottom of my list. Not something I wanted to deal with.
Over half of our class will stay in Lubbock. And if you have a good reason you can appeal in second year. I'm pretty sure people have to do some UTMB rotations in Houston, so they're not completely free from this either.

I know at both A&M and TTU you are able to stay in CS or Lubbock for all 4 years, not sure how many per class are able to do so though.

dang....why no Texas Tech love here? lol that school really impressed me

My vote is for A&M! 1.5 year preclinical, Scott & White, low cost of living in Temple for clinical years if you choose Scott & White, options to rotate at Dallas and Houston, and Temple is about 2 hours away from Dallas (home for you) and an hour away from Austin (fun weekend trip destination).

dang....why no Texas Tech love here? lol that school really impressed me

I liked Tech as well, but I think Dallas, Houston, Round Rock > Lubbock, Amarillo, Odessa for most people (to explain A&M's votes at least)

After looking into both programs more and speaking with admissions, I think I narrowed it down to A&M or UTMB, anybody have to choose between the two in the past or currently? Thanks for all the input so far!

After looking into both programs more and speaking with admissions, I think I narrowed it down to A&M or UTMB, anybody have to choose between the two in the past or currently? Thanks for all the input so far!
Someone posted some pretty good reasons for why utmb on the utmb school specific forum.

You honestly cant go wrong with either. They're all great schools with good match lists, go where you think you will succeed and be the most happy. It will come down to school environment/feel and location preference.