About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tarasoff decision

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Phloston, May 6, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Phloston

Phloston Vegemite Gold Donor

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Under the Tarasoff decision, must the physician (e.g. psychiatrist) always report confidentiality-excepted information to the potential victim AND law enforcement, or just to the potential victim?

Thanks a lot,
  2. Convalaria

Convalaria

Medical Student
    Tarasoff I decision: physicians warn a potential victim if they truly believe the patient he/she may be harmed (e.g. abused spouse)

Tarasoff II decision: physicians warn a potential victim if they truly believe the patient he/she may be harmed AND protect (e.g. children)

This was explanation of one of the Kaplan Qbank questions.
  3. Phloston

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm wondering if there are certain times that law enforcement is contacted as well (e.g. sometimes, always, never).
  4. DrDJShik

DrDJShik

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    From my experience, you usually see just victim or victim and police but not both as two different choices...i think its always both tho
  5. VisionaryTics

VisionaryTics SeƱor Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    BRS Behavioral Science says the physician must notify law enforcement or social service agency AND warn the intended victim if the patient poses a credible threat.
  6. Phloston

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nice. I'm ~30 pages into BRS BS right now, so eventually I'll get to that ;-)

This is why I had asked (PrntScr image from USMLE Rx):

Notice that in this case, the potential victim AND law enforcement need to be contacted.

However, I recall having seen a question in Rx some time ago where the patient was diagnosed with HIV and strictly said that he didn't plan on telling his partner but still planned on using appropriate protection. In this case, the physician needed to contact the patient's partner, but NOT law enforcement, because they said a crime of intent hadn't been present.

Fun stuff...

Attached Files:

• FA.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Morsetlis

Morsetlis SGU MS-3

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    There is no intention of crime. You do not wear gloves to intend to poke yourself with a needle, even if you have no training in giving injections or the proper methods of needle disposal.

Note: I neither agree nor sympathize with the patient, but how do you compare that case to a parent smoking with children in the house?