Target interview experiences??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoQPHARMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone like to share their experiences at Target interview? I heard it's very formal and they have all kind of questions...

Members don't see this ad.

Target's interview involves a lot of scenario type questions and they make you give them an answer even if it doesn't apply to you. Some questions I recall are:
- Describe a time when you had a project to do and had no idea how to approach it and tell me what did you do to approach the project.
- Have you ever had a major influence on someone and explain.
- Explain a time when you took a leadership role and went above and beyond.

They have a lot of questions like those and they also make you complete an assessment test online that takes about 2 hours to complete.

I have also interviewed with target. I did a phone interview and then an in person interview. I had similar questions to the person above. Also: tell me a time when you had to quickly make a decision without having much information.
Tell me a time when you had to have an effective working relationship with someone you found difficult.
Can't think of anything else specifically now, but they are definitely big on leadership and teamwork. And they say the online assessment normally takes a little over and hour but mine took a lot longer than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Target's interview involves a lot of scenario type questions and they make you give them an answer even if it doesn't apply to you. Some questions I recall are:
- Describe a time when you had a project to do and had no idea how to approach it and tell me what did you do to approach the project.
- Have you ever had a major influence on someone and explain.
- Explain a time when you took a leadership role and went above and beyond.

They have a lot of questions like those and they also make you complete an assessment test online that takes about 2 hours to complete.

Wow, it sounds very formal. I've never had to go through that on my previous job interviews. They were very short and simple. Was it one-on-one interview or you had to talk to a group of interviewers? Are there any other questions you could think of? Did you end up working for them? If yes, how do you like it?
I heard a lot of good things about Target. I really want to land this gig. Any advice from you would be very appreciated. Please please help!!!
Thanks!

I have also interviewed with target. I did a phone interview and then an in person interview. I had similar questions to the person above. Also: tell me a time when you had to quickly make a decision without having much information.
Tell me a time when you had to have an effective working relationship with someone you found difficult.
Can't think of anything else specifically now, but they are definitely big on leadership and teamwork. And they say the online assessment normally takes a little over and hour but mine took a lot longer than that.

Thanks. So what are some of the things that they ask you in the online assessment?

Wow, it sounds very formal. I've never had to go through that on my previous job interviews. They were very short and simple. Was it one-on-one interview or you had to talk to a group of interviewers? Are there any other questions you could think of? Did you end up working for them? If yes, how do you like it?
I heard a lot of good things about Target. I really want to land this gig. Any advice from you would be very appreciated. Please please help!!!
Thanks!

I did my interview at a career fair held at my school. They had 2 people interview me at the same time. One of the interviewers mainly just listened and took notes while the other asked all the questions. They told me to apply online within 72 hours, but I never applied because I didn't have any interest in working for Target. I got 2 offers from CVS and Kroger, and I decided to take Kroger's offer, so I have never worked for Target.

I can't remember the other questions they asked since it was a couple of months ago when I interviewed with them, but if some pop up, I will definitely post them.

Good luck on your interview!

I did my interview at a career fair held at my school. They had 2 people interview me at the same time. One of the interviewers mainly just listened and took notes while the other asked all the questions. They told me to apply online within 72 hours, but I never applied because I didn't have any interest in working for Target. I got 2 offers from CVS and Kroger, and I decided to take Kroger's offer, so I have never worked for Target.

I can't remember the other questions they asked since it was a couple of months ago when I interviewed with them, but if some pop up, I will definitely post them.

Thanks! Good luck on your new jobs. let me know how's it going with Kroger.

I remember the interview being really in depth like others mentioned...I probably got about eight questions in which I had to describe in detail a work experience. I was interviewed at a career fair and only about 1/3 of the people I know who were interviewed were asked to take the online assessment. I think there was a personality section as well as a section that included a lot of basic math/problem solving questions. I remember it took at least an hour or two to complete. Within a day or two of completing the assessment, I got a job offer but ended up going with Walgreens instead.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Anything would be helpful :)

double post. oops!

I had a very disappointing interview with Target last month. The interview was part of our school's career fair, during which we were required to participate in a certain number of interviews. I chose Target because I had heard good things about them, but after sitting down with their company's representatives, I wouldn't want to work for them.

First of all, the two women that interviewed me did not represent Target pharmacy well at all. One was a store manager of a nearby store that does not have a pharmacy (and yet, she was helping interview for pharmacist positions). She was overly made up and had a very chilly vibe. The other was a DM for a region several states away. She admitted up front that she doesn't know much about the Northwest - how the stores are run in this region, the job opportunities, etc. I really had no idea why Target would choose either one of these people to represent their company.

I had heard ahead of time about the format of the interview, and while I wasn't against it, I wanted to be up front about my intentions. I told the interviewers first thing that I had heard good things about their company, and that I wanted to get more information about Target, but that I was not interested in a position with them at this time because I am pursuing a residency. I told them that I wouldn't mind going through the normal interview process, but that overall, I was only there so that I could have more information about their company. After I said this, the store manager turned to the out-of-region DM and said, "well, let's just not waste our time." So they decided not to ask me any questions and let me ask them a few questions.

I asked simple things - about staffing and tech hours, their computer system, a pharmacist's typical day, etc. They were very defensive and did not give me very good information (because, honestly, neither of them had the knowledge to provide it). My interview, which was scheduled to last 30 minutes, was over with in less than 10. Amusingly, a few weeks later I received a form e-mail telling me that I was no longer being considered for a local RPh position but that I could apply again in the future.

I know that this is just my experience, but I think that it says a lot about a company when they are not willing to send people qualified to interview potential candidates to a career fair with over 200 students.

How many Target pharmacies are there in the northwest?

I also got offers from CVS and Kroger and trying to decide between the two. Why did you end up choosing Kroger?

I just interviewed with Target and they also advised me to complete an online assessment--but I can't for the life of me find where it is. Is anyone familiar with where it might be?

Members don't see this ad :)
they are supposed to email you the link. Check your spam inbox. Sometimes, it goes to spam.

I feel like they might have forgotten to--we haven't gotten an email, and none of the students i've spoken to have any idea where it might be :(

I had a very disappointing interview with Target last month. The interview was part of our school's career fair, during which we were required to participate in a certain number of interviews. I chose Target because I had heard good things about them, but after sitting down with their company's representatives, I wouldn't want to work for them.

First of all, the two women that interviewed me did not represent Target pharmacy well at all. One was a store manager of a nearby store that does not have a pharmacy (and yet, she was helping interview for pharmacist positions). She was overly made up and had a very chilly vibe. The other was a DM for a region several states away. She admitted up front that she doesn't know much about the Northwest - how the stores are run in this region, the job opportunities, etc. I really had no idea why Target would choose either one of these people to represent their company.

I had heard ahead of time about the format of the interview, and while I wasn't against it, I wanted to be up front about my intentions. I told the interviewers first thing that I had heard good things about their company, and that I wanted to get more information about Target, but that I was not interested in a position with them at this time because I am pursuing a residency. I told them that I wouldn't mind going through the normal interview process, but that overall, I was only there so that I could have more information about their company. After I said this, the store manager turned to the out-of-region DM and said, "well, let's just not waste our time." So they decided not to ask me any questions and let me ask them a few questions.

I asked simple things - about staffing and tech hours, their computer system, a pharmacist's typical day, etc. They were very defensive and did not give me very good information (because, honestly, neither of them had the knowledge to provide it). My interview, which was scheduled to last 30 minutes, was over with in less than 10. Amusingly, a few weeks later I received a form e-mail telling me that I was no longer being considered for a local RPh position but that I could apply again in the future.

I know that this is just my experience, but I think that it says a lot about a company when they are not willing to send people qualified to interview potential candidates to a career fair with over 200 students.

I also had a pretty negative experience with my target interview at my school's career fair. When I ask the interviewers (both non-pharmacists) about common complaints they get from their pharmacists, the lady went off about how some pharmacists aren't dispensing enough script volume. She actually gave me a number, 700 RX/week or more, for a target pharmacy to be "optimized". She said when some stores are only doing a few hundred a week, she tells the pharmacists they need to increase their script volume. She even said that most pharmacists will reply to that with: "Ok, I'll talk to every customer that comes into the store to try to get them to use our pharmacy!", which she then said "THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH... they aren't coming into your store,so you need to do something more".

The whole time I was thinking to myself, what else does the lady expect them to do?! They are not allowed to go out and advertise for target pharmacy, and even if they are, that's really not their job.

Also, they just put off an attitude of thinking they're better than everyone with their snide comments, like "Target's just not for everyone" and "we're doing so much better than Rite Aid financially". The last one is true, but really awkward for them to say to me because I just came from an interview with Rite Aid.

Last edited:
I've never worked for Target, so I can't comment on how it is to work for them.

But as for the interview and hiring process, I can definitively say that Target is by far the most bizarre and (dare I say?) unprofessional.

If you want me not to like you, there's no quicker way to accomplish that than by being arrogant. Target's hiring staff has arrogance down to an art. Plus they're unresponsive (They won't return your phone calls.), do a poor job of giving you a feel for their company, and have other such problems.

At the company I work for now, the interview was laidback, very friendly, and involved mutual, back-and-forth conversation. And that's how it's felt the whole time I've been working for this company. I like my job a lot.

All of those characteristics were absent from every stage of Target's application process. If the day-to-day feel of being a Target pharmacist bears any resemblance to what I've experienced with the application process, I want no part of it.

I've got another bad target interview story from my friend.

He also interviewed with them recently at our school's career fair and was then asked to fill out the online survey. a week later he got a call from a DM telling him that they want to take things to the next step and asking him what specific cities he would like to work in. The DM ends the conversation by telling him that they do have openings in those areas and he will get my freind in touch with the DM for that area. Again, all the while, the DM is saying that Target wants to take things to the next step with my freind . Two days later, he gets a generic email that says something to the effect "we have decided to pursue other candidates, thank you for application". So my friend is like "Wtf? this is obviously a mistake" and calls the DM about it. The DM then completely changes his story from last time and says that they don't have any openings but they will try to contact him if anything comes up. :rolleyes:

I just finished that online assessment (first interview scheduled for next week) and feel like those questions were tricky! It contained personality type questions and math problems that required some thinking. I don't know exactly what they are looking for but I can only be myself and hope that's good enough for them.

I heard they are very selective and can afford to interview many people before hiring someone...

Target interviews make no sure. They ask you questions that a clerk at Target would receive. For example, tell when a project that you had to do and how you did it. At least ask pharmacy related questions.

This must explain why the Targets in the nearest big city, which even has a pharmacy school, use so many relief personnel.

They emphasize leadership...do not just say you want be a staff pharmacist your whole life..they want to hear PIC, DM, own the company.

They looked like they were having fun; very friendly, to me anyway....you definitely have to fit their brand name mold, very cheerleader-esque.

There was like 6 or 7 of them there and they all had the biggest, whitest teeth I've ever seen.

They do ask bizarre questions that aren't really relevant to the job.

I was asked questions like, "Describe a time you invented a product or device that helped you finish a task on time"

"Describe a time when you led a diverse group of people who didn't get along and you brought them all together to finish a task on time"

ALOT of random bizarre questions like that.

I also got offers from CVS and Kroger and trying to decide between the two. Why did you end up choosing Kroger?

Perhaps better hours, and less stress....

Anyone like to share their experiences at Target interview? I heard it's very formal and they have all kind of questions...

They really take interview process very seriously. I had 4 interviews with them. I had 3 phone interviews, and one at the store. Anyone I interviewed with had said no, I would not get the job they said... Good Luck :luck:

I also had a pretty negative experience with my target interview at my school's career fair. When I ask the interviewers (both non-pharmacists) about common complaints they get from their pharmacists, the lady went off about how some pharmacists aren't dispensing enough script volume. She actually gave me a number, 700 RX/week or more, for a target pharmacy to be "optimized". She said when some stores are only doing a few hundred a week, she tells the pharmacists they need to increase their script volume. She even said that most pharmacists will reply to that with: "Ok, I'll talk to every customer that comes into the store to try to get them to use our pharmacy!", which she then said "THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH... they aren't coming into your store,so you need to do something more".

The whole time I was thinking to myself, what else does the lady expect them to do?! They are not allowed to go out and advertise for target pharmacy, and even if they are, that's really not their job.

Also, they just put off an attitude of thinking they're better than everyone with their snide comments, like "Target's just not for everyone" and "we're doing so much better than Rite Aid financially". The last one is true, but really awkward for them to say to me because I just came from an interview with Rite Aid.

I had 12 interviews in one day at my school career fair. I interviwed with different hospitals, community pharmacies, and nuclear pharmacies. They were all kind of different, but most of the interviews were very casual, they were mostly there to give you information about the company versus a real interview to give you a job at the spot...:luck:

Interviewed with target on Saturday it was very laid back not as bad as the other posters on here. I also got the email on Tuesday to do the online assessment which I have. Anyone know what the next step in the process is and how soon do you think I will hear form them? Also if i get an offer from target do they have a deadline to accept or reject their offer?

bump. any answers? I am making plans for the summer and I really need this info, I don't think it will be appropriate to ask the recruiter

I found the Target interview process unprofessional and completely unapplicable to the practice of pharmacy.

1. At no point did I ever even speak to someone with a pharmacy background. No RPh, no Pharm.D., hell not even a technician. Instead, you're recruited by some person with a B.A. in communications or business management; and thus evaluated by someone with a fraction of the education that you possess. Your then interviewed by a bunch of people with MBAs, H.R. degrees, marketing degrees, or something along those lines. Maybe a little more educated, but at the end of the day, their people interviewing who A. should have 0 opinion regarding the practice of pharmacy, B. should have no basis in how to judge a competent, successful pharmacist, and C. do not have a similar level of an educational background to even compete with you.

2. They're arrogant and possessed with corporate culture. I felt that I was looked down upon by them the entire time (which is ridiculous considering the fact that we're awarded with a degree that enables either a prefix or a suffix added to our name). They are so-team based it makes me sick. Yes, knowing how to interact professionally with people is important, but I really feel that to work as a pharmacist for this company you'd have to become "one of them." If you get my drift. It's so bad that you're required to wear red every fricken day. Honestly, for a job who cares but that just shows you're not a damn professional if you work as a pharmacist for Target. You're just another clerk whose conforming to the company's "vision."

3. They're obsessed with leadership and it shows in their questioning. Like said above, the questions they ask are your standard H.R. related questions that for the most part do not apply to a candidate pharmacist. Questions like "describe a time you had to use a different coaching style to help guide someone." Or, "describe a time you acted as a mentor for someone." Or, describe a time you we're stuck in the middle of a project. What did you do to overcome this?" And they want specific examples cited. Of course, I would cite some B.S. related to my internship or school, and I swear they were rolling their eyes went I said. I wanted to reach across and slap them, sorry that I haven't been the store manager of some big box store. Maybe you shouldn't use your generic questioning for fricken clinicians?

4. I fully intend on writing them a nice letter explaining that they should re-evalute their hiring practices for pharmacists. I'll sign it with Dr. in front of my name. Yes, I'll look like a douchebag. No, I won't care.

I found the Target interview process unprofessional and completely unapplicable to the practice of pharmacy.

1. At no point did I ever even speak to someone with a pharmacy background. No RPh, no Pharm.D., hell not even a technician. Instead, you're recruited by some person with a B.A. in communications or business management; and thus evaluated by someone with a fraction of the education that you possess. Your then interviewed by a bunch of people with MBAs, H.R. degrees, marketing degrees, or something along those lines. Maybe a little more educated, but at the end of the day, their people interviewing who A. should have 0 opinion regarding the practice of pharmacy, B. should have no basis in how to judge a competent, successful pharmacist, and C. do not have a similar level of an educational background to even compete with you.

2. They're arrogant and possessed with corporate culture. I felt that I was looked down upon by them the entire time (which is ridiculous considering the fact that we're awarded with a degree that enables either a prefix or a suffix added to our name). They are so-team based it makes me sick. Yes, knowing how to interact professionally with people is important, but I really feel that to work as a pharmacist for this company you'd have to become "one of them." If you get my drift. It's so bad that you're required to wear red every fricken day. Honestly, for a job who cares but that just shows you're not a damn professional if you work as a pharmacist for Target. You're just another clerk whose conforming to the company's "vision."

3. They're obsessed with leadership and it shows in their questioning. Like said above, the questions they ask are your standard H.R. related questions that for the most part do not apply to a candidate pharmacist. Questions like "describe a time you had to use a different coaching style to help guide someone." Or, "describe a time you acted as a mentor for someone." Or, describe a time you we're stuck in the middle of a project. What did you do to overcome this?" And they want specific examples cited. Of course, I would cite some B.S. related to my internship or school, and I swear they were rolling their eyes went I said. I wanted to reach across and slap them, sorry that I haven't been the store manager of some big box store. Maybe you shouldn't use your generic questioning for fricken clinicians?

4. I fully intend on writing them a nice letter explaining that they should re-evalute their hiring practices for pharmacists. I'll sign it with Dr. in front of my name. Yes, I'll look like a douchebag. No, I won't care.
Well said I have a friend who was a great student in Pharmacy school and made great grades and was a part of a lot of Pharmacy orgs. She got put through Targets selection process and got turned down. Well this same person is now a DM for Walgreens. I have heard from many sources of Target's interviewing and selection, hate to bust your bubble Target but you guys are just not that relevant.

Well said I have a friend who was a great student in Pharmacy school and made great grades and was a part of a lot of Pharmacy orgs. She got put through Targets selection process and got turned down. Well this same person is now a DM for Walgreens. I have heard from many sources of Target's interviewing and selection, hate to bust your bubble Target but you guys are just not that relevant.

Sorry all I got from that was "Target rejects = Walgeens DM material". Not sure that is what you were going for. :laugh:

I actually interviewed with target for an intern position and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who knew what to expect after the assessment stage. Its been 2 weeks since the assessment and hope is gradually fading.

Can anyone give me some info on the Target online assessment? Thanks!

The arrogance of some of you guys just blows me away. You go for an interview with a company, tell them you have no interest in the company at all since you want to go the residency route, then get offended when they tell you the interview is over since they don't want to waste their time. What planet are you on?

This guy nailed it. The same feeling I got from their interview. Their interviewers were arrogant and knew very little about pharmacy.

I remember coming into pharmacy a year ago reading this thread and doing a double take on Target. Now I realize that sdn is just saturated with a bunch of overanimated/ego-sensitive high school kids w doctorates. Hey breaking news, business comes first, PERIOD. If you haven't figured that out before stepping into retail you're in a world of corporate hurting. Target's hires pharmacists who articulate, can hold conversations, and can keep the guest coming back in. Who better to assess those qualities than an individual w a communications major?