Target Pharmacy or Managed care residency- What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kitana9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a P4 student who is trying to decide what I should do after graduation and I would appreciate your honest opinions. I have an offer as a full time pharmacist with Target pharmacy in my #1 choice area. I am also currently applying for managed care residencies. Ideally, I would like to work as a full time managed care pharmacist after my residency and work part time at Target.

I know that Target is THE BEST RETAIL PHARMACY CHAIN EVER to work for! They're not like the other chains and every Target pharmacist I've met has only wonderful things to say about the job. So that's great because it's a nice, stable job that pays really well. I am the primary income earner for my family so salary is very important to me.

My only hesitation about the residency is I'm afraid that I'll spend a year doing the residency, and then not have a job afterwards because there aren't as many positions available for managed care pharmacists. I am looking at residencies with Blue Cross Blue Shield and I would like to stay with one of the Blue Cross companies or some other major manged care company. I'm also open to working in Pharma/Industry after my residency- IF they'll hire me---I'm guessing they would rather hire candidates who completed an industry fellowship.

Anyways, given the scarcity of jobs in these branches of pharmacy and the fact that I have a REALLY great offer on the table from Target, should I stick with Target and forget about residencies? Or do you think that if I complete a residency, I may just end up burning bridges with Target and jobless in managed care/pharma?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably take the job. As you said, there aren't as many spots open for managed care pharmacists, plus in a year from now that offer with Target may not/probably won't be there with all the new 2014 grads.

However, I would inquire more as to whether is in fact the best chain ever. They usually seem fairly understaffed to me, and I have heard many comments attesting to that. Still, I would take the job, espescially as it is in your preferred location.

Hey guys,
I am a P4 student who is trying to decide what I should do after graduation and I would appreciate your honest opinions. I have an offer as a full time pharmacist with Target pharmacy in my #1 choice area. I am also currently applying for managed care residencies. Ideally, I would like to work as a full time managed care pharmacist after my residency and work part time at Target.

I know that Target is THE BEST RETAIL PHARMACY CHAIN EVER to work for! They're not like the other chains and every Target pharmacist I've met has only wonderful things to say about the job. So that's great because it's a nice, stable job that pays really well. I am the primary income earner for my family so salary is very important to me.

My only hesitation about the residency is I'm afraid that I'll spend a year doing the residency, and then not have a job afterwards because there aren't as many positions available for managed care pharmacists. I am looking at residencies with Blue Cross Blue Shield and I would like to stay with one of the Blue Cross companies or some other major manged care company. I'm also open to working in Pharma/Industry after my residency- IF they'll hire me---I'm guessing they would rather hire candidates who completed an industry fellowship.

Anyways, given the scarcity of jobs in these branches of pharmacy and the fact that I have a REALLY great offer on the table from Target, should I stick with Target and forget about residencies? Or do you think that if I complete a residency, I may just end up burning bridges with Target and jobless in managed care/pharma?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

If youre willing to move anywhere in the country afterwards, do the managed care residency. If not, take the target job.

Managed care residency gives a huge leg up on job hunting since there are so few residents each year, but, there are also only a few spots open in the us for managed care at a given time. .. but personally I think this will be increasing over the next few years.

Target is nice to work for.. but wont leave you too many options for your future should you decide not to do retail.

Also I would consider applying for managed care jobs too. Its easier than you think to get an offer as a new grad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If youre willing to move anywhere in the country afterwards, do the managed care residency. If not, take the target job.

Managed care residency gives a huge leg up on job hunting since there are so few residents each year, but, there are also only a few spots open in the us for managed care at a given time. .. but personally I think this will be increasing over the next few years.

Target is nice to work for.. but wont leave you too many options for your future should you decide not to do retail.

Also I would consider applying for managed care jobs too. Its easier than you think to get an offer as a new grad.

Do you think that the target jobs will be easy to find if I stay geographically flexible? Also, how/where should I look for managed care jobs, aside from indeed.com, simply hired and other common Google, internet search engines?

Do you think that the target jobs will be easy to find if I stay geographically flexible? Also, how/where should I look for managed care jobs, aside from indeed.com, simply hired and other common Google, internet search engines?

You'll have a much easier time finding a prn retail position after relocating for managed care position than vice-versa.

Did you have any managed care rotations? Does your school have any faculty in the field? Those are probably your best options, but of course it never hurts to apply via online job postings. MC is a really small subset of pharmacy where networking still holds strong. Type b can probably comment on this more.

You'll have a much easier time finding a prn retail position after relocating for managed care position than vice-versa.

Did you have any managed care rotations? Does your school have any faculty in the field? Those are probably your best options, but of course it never hurts to apply via online job postings. MC is a really small subset of pharmacy where networking still holds strong. Type b can probably comment on this more.

I have had three appe rotations my fourth year but I'm interested in managed care residencies in a different part of the country. I'll ask my professors, but most of their contacts are most likely local. I'm looking for preferably Midwest, if not northeast or west coast jobs.

1. If you have a strong history with target, I would think it would be easy to get a full time target job (**somewhere**) as long as you don't burn any bridges with them. I know at any given time there are at least a couple openings near me (i mean 300 mile radius.. but i'm 200 miles away from a major metro area)

2. I would go ahead and apply to any managed care job you find on indeed.com , that is where I found one offer. If you can get in touch with a managed care person on your faculty or through rotations, they can probably help you find a job. If you're really good in economics, business, and sales, MCO has been known to create position for you. This is probably easier said than done .. but if you CAN , why waste the time in residency.

I would do residency if you know you want to do something specialized within managed care .. or if you can't find any good connections near you for shadowing, APPE, or interning.

*IF* you dont burn your bridges with target, you'll have a solid backup plan.

HTH

Target, even among all retail chains , has a VERY strong preference for their own former interns.

Hey guys,

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
Guys, what is the transition from managed care to industry like?

Would it be advantageous to start off in retail or hospital then do industry?

I have had three appe rotations my fourth year but I'm interested in managed care residencies in a different part of the country. I'll ask my professors, but most of their contacts are most likely local. I'm looking for preferably Midwest, if not northeast or west coast jobs.

If you have a managed care rotation, your contacts can still help you get a job across the country. Managed care is a *VERY* small world.. maybe 1% of pharmacists? I would consider it only slightly larger than nuclear.

I would say managed care rotations and preceptors are going to be your biggest resource on this issue.

I made many contacts in Pharma and PBMs during my mc rotations. Pharma RPHs know EVERYONE. PBMs have very large departments and usually have unadvertised positions.

Guys, what is the transition from managed care to industry like?

Would it be advantageous to start off in retail or hospital then do industry?

Haven't done it, obviously .. but I think managed care is the best place to jump from to industry. Depending on the role, you may work face to face with industry pharmacists on a weekly basis , but definitely over the phone on almost a daily basis. The skill of evaluating, compiling, and communicating drug information is pretty much the bread and butter of MSL's and also many MCO PharmD's

Haven't done it, obviously .. but I think managed care is the best place to jump from to industry. Depending on the role, you may work face to face with industry pharmacists on a weekly basis , but definitely over the phone on almost a daily basis. The skill of evaluating, compiling, and communicating drug information is pretty much the bread and butter of MSL's and also many MCO PharmD's
Thanks!

I also think you have to consider prestige if it's important to you. The average community pharmacist has more prestige than someone in managed care or industry.

Target, even among all retail chains , has a VERY strong preference for their own former interns.

I've heard that, which is why I was so surprised I got an offer from target even though I've never worked for them or done a rotation with them. I hope they don't black list me for wanting to do a residency. I still honestly want to do both residency or working for an MCO with retail on the weekends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

I also think you have to consider prestige if it's important to you. The average community pharmacist has more prestige than someone in managed care or industry.

This is true.. but managed care is basically retail's boss. You saw when walgreens tried to rebel against ESI .. didn't turn out too good for wags.

I've heard that, which is why I was so surprised I got an offer from target even though I've never worked for them or done a rotation with them. I hope they don't black list me for wanting to do a residency. I still honestly want to do both residency or working for an MCO with retail on the weekends.

Honestly, this is going to come off as slightly prejudiced or weird but I'm going to say it anyway.

Target has a strong preference for attractive, cheerful, outgoing, team player types.. if you possess these attributes, you'll have a leg up on future target jobs too.

Honestly, this is going to come off as slightly prejudiced or weird but I'm going to say it anyway.

Target has a strong preference for attractive, cheerful, outgoing, team player types.. if you possess these attributes, you'll have a leg up on future target jobs too.

I appreciate your honesty...but attractiveness?!? Wow, had no idea this was a beauty pageant...Lol. I've heard that from others as well....

I appreciate your honesty...but attractiveness?!? Wow, had no idea this was a beauty pageant...Lol. I've heard that from others as well....

Yep! No joke. It's a little crazy, but, target really wants to project a very specific image. In that regard, it is kind of like the Apple of the pharmacy world. Very image focused.

Hey guys,

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

To be honest with you, I would take the Target job for now, save the money on residency apps, and network like crazy. Have you had interviews with residencies or are you looking into the scramble? You are right when you say that the job pool is small in MC pharmacy, especially for new grads (it is basically non-existent).

I have personally (within the past three weeks) spoken with/heard from several big players in pharma hiring for MCO positions, and here's what they all had to say: "If I had a position open up and had to choose between the pharmacist with the MC residency or the one that doesn't have a residency but comes highly recommended and for the most part knows what they are talking about, then I would always hire the latter." "Currently, there are really no MC positions to speak of for new grads; we have been seeing pharmacists that have been out in the profession for many years shifting into and taking up MC positions. It serves the student better to get experience elsewhere if they can and continue to pursue a MC role until one opens for them."

Now, that was a small pool of people; however, they are some of the ones that head up or participate on committees at AMCP - the national organization that speaks for MC. They do the hiring at their respective corporations. So all I say is take it for what you will.

As far as looking for those MC positions, it really is true what @Rockinacoustic said about how networking is still very strong - that is a far better bet over indeed or careerbuilder, although it is always worth taking a look at those. Make your intentions known to anyone you meet that is in the field; you never know if they'll find something and think of you later!

P.S. Today is the last day for early bird pricing to go to the AMCP Annual Conference in Tampa April 1-4; you can meet A LOT of important people that may be able to help you there!!

To be honest with you, I would take the Target job for now, save the money on residency apps, and network like crazy. Have you had interviews with residencies or are you looking into the scramble? You are right when you say that the job pool is small in MC pharmacy, especially for new grads (it is basically non-existent).

I have personally (within the past three weeks) spoken with/heard from several big players in pharma hiring for MCO positions, and here's what they all had to say: "If I had a position open up and had to choose between the pharmacist with the MC residency or the one that doesn't have a residency but comes highly recommended and for the most part knows what they are talking about, then I would always hire the latter." "Currently, there are really no MC positions to speak of for new grads; we have been seeing pharmacists that have been out in the profession for many years shifting into and taking up MC positions. It serves the student better to get experience elsewhere if they can and continue to pursue a MC role until one opens for them."

Now, that was a small pool of people; however, they are some of the ones that head up or participate on committees at AMCP - the national organization that speaks for MC. They do the hiring at their respective corporations. So all I say is take it for what you will.

As far as looking for those MC positions, it really is true what @Rockinacoustic said about how networking is still very strong - that is a far better bet over indeed or careerbuilder, although it is always worth taking a look at those. Make your intentions known to anyone you meet that is in the field; you never know if they'll find something and think of you later!

P.S. Today is the last day for early bird pricing to go to the AMCP Annual Conference in Tampa April 1-4; you can meet A LOT of important people that may be able to help you there!!

There are no positions *specifically* for new grads. But what you heard is true .. often they will hire established pharmacists if they can come highly recommended. I also agree about the residency vs highly recommended thing .. that is how I got hired.. word on the street here is that there are NO good candidates out there!

Along with the networking thing, a lot of it is about fit and knowledge too. Most retail and hospital pharmacists we looked at did not have any corporate experience or any economics knowledge really.

Continuing to pursue a role while you work retail is an OPTION .. but .. I wouldn't say it's a great one. Even RPh's 1-2 years out have lost most of their clinical edge unless they were working specialist clinical roles, amb care, etc.. those people don't usually want to leave for managed care and the salary cut.

Another note.. don't be afraid to apply for jobs listing residency or experience required. My MC offers came from job postings requiring these things. Usually it is just there to weed out the less confident people.

Also.. DEFINITELY get the discount on Tampa if you can. Schedule of events is looking pretty exciting!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

It seems like most new pharmacists get their MC jobs after a MC residency...

Have you heard of any MC resident who didn't find a MC job after finishing the residency?

Have you heard of any MC resident who didn't find a MC job after finishing the residency?

The only way this would happen was if the person is an idiot or is not willing to relocate. There are what .. 20 residency trained grads per year? Probably close to 50 job openings per year? How could you not get one?

My position was open for months .. they didn't get a single app from a residency trained pharmacist.. because there arent any!

Unfortunately, yes; there are several out there who did a year with a MC residency and there was no position to offer them, regardless of how good they were.

Unfortunately, yes; there are several out there who did a year with a MC residency and there was no position to offer them, regardless of how good they were.

Why couldn't they just seek a job elsewhere? Only a minority of residency grads (any specialty) that I've met got jobs at their home institutions.

Consider one other key thing: How long is Target going to be in the pharmacy business? Didn't Target already leave the pharmacy sector once before? Pharmacy is a very marginal business for Target.

The managed care residency might be a good place to build skills for the future. Target is a good place to make money, but what is your backup plan? It is not always a great thing to get stuck in retail with no other immediate hope of getting out if things turn bad out there.

I've personally been building a very well-rounded CV so that I can career-proof myself for the future. There are going to be tons more new grads in the next few years, and residency spots aren't increasing fast enough to keep pace. This means there is going to be a huge glut of retail pharmacists. Basically that means we will all be very expendable.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard iffy things about Target. Yeah, they're generally not crazy busy, but I have safety concerns with the computer system, and I've heard weird things about their hiring process as well. Supposedly they reject people if they are not "fast fun and friendly enough". They also really emphasize the whole store department manager role and downplay the pharmacist role more so than other places. I've heard much better things about Publix Sams and Costco.

To the original poster I hope you did your own research on Target and the new programs they are rolling out in the couple of months - new computer system, new MTM programs that have been piloted in Florida and have proven successful. The last two posts make Target and retail seem like a dead-end, but it's not. They don't know what they are talking about regarding Target because they haven't done their research - hope you do! What's going to guarantee a clinical pharmacist job after all the new healthcare laws go into effect? Un-needed personnel will be cut - no matter what sector of employment.