Tattoo in clinical practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're correct. I suppose if you're considering a tattoo and are also prone to caring what others think of you to that end, you may be more affected by such a decision.

And, yes, everyone judges others based on first appearance. However, I think it's unnecessarily different with body modifications to the extent that when it gets to the point where anyone with common sense would otherwise prevent their judgments from causing any unreasonable assumptions (e.g., with respect to dress), they continue to make silly assumptions based on body modifications.

Granted, I'm probably an unrepresentative sample because I don't have a problem taking out piercings and covering up tattoos during patient contact, but just my $0.02.

Agreed--tattoos, piercings, and other body modifications definitely seem to be much bigger judgment "lightning rods" than are dress, hair style, etc, and are more resistant to having said judgments changed/rescinded.

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed--tattoos, piercings, and other body modifications definitely seem to be much bigger judgment "lightning rods" than are dress, hair style, etc, and are more resistant to having said judgments changed/rescinded.

Agreed, and I'm not sure why they should be treated as so different from markers of other cultural affiliations. It must be that the culture that most tattooed people in America represent--generation X or younger, prone to sensation seeking, arguably part of the counterculture, often lower SES--is looked down upon more than others. I find it really interesting that nose studs are actually protected when they represent someone's religious beliefs, or are part of their ethnic heritage. However, if a person is not Indian or Hindu (for example), then suddenly a nose stud represents a greater barrier to treatment. I realize that many people do also caution against the use of religious symbols, etc. in practice, but institutionally those two types of expression are usually treated differently.

Full disclosure: I have a tattoo and a couple non-traditional piercings. I've been willing to take them out/cover them up throughout my training when I've been asked to so. However, I dislike the feeling I get when I do this--like someone telling me it's not ok to be me. Not that I will be completely picky about this, but I really hope to end up with a career at a site that doesn't have a problem with these types of self-expression. My current internship does not. In fact, I'm surrounded by several hospital employees with visible tattoos.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed, and I'm not sure why they should be treated as so different from markers of other cultural affiliations. It must be that the culture that most tattooed people in America represent--generation X or younger, prone to sensation seeking, arguably part of the counterculture, often lower SES--is looked down upon more than others. I find it really interesting that nose studs are actually protected when they represent someone's religious beliefs, or are part of their ethnic heritage. However, if a person is not Indian or Hindu (for example), then suddenly a nose stud represents a greater barrier to treatment. I realize that many people do also caution against the use of religious symbols, etc. in practice, but institutionally those two types of expression are usually treated differently.

Full disclosure: I have a tattoo and a couple non-traditional piercings. I've been willing to take them out/cover them up throughout my training when I've been asked to so. However, I dislike the feeling I get when I do this--like someone telling me it's not ok to be me. Not that I will be completely picky about this, but I really hope to end up with a career at a site that doesn't have a problem with these types of self-expression. My current internship does not. In fact, I'm surrounded by several hospital employees with visible tattoos.

I have a tattoo and an ear piercing. I have had to qualms about taking the earring out or covering the tattoo. Just comes with the territory.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a tattoo and an ear piercing. I have had to qualms about taking the earring out or covering the tattoo. Just comes with the territory.

The same was said in my last field--theater/acting, obviously for different reasons. Seems there are lots of areas in adult life where we're asked to cover things up. I just find it kinda fascinating that this norm is in fields where we're supposed to be genuine as well as fields where we're supposed to be somebody else. Go figure.

Keeping in mind that I work residential and in the Portland, OR area, where the motto is "Keep Portland Weird", I have a number of coworkers in both the residential and clinical settings with tattoos, including highly visible half/full sleeves and neck tattoos, and elaborate piercings. I have yet to hear of any issues brought up by our clientele or colleagues, most questions regarding the tattoos are asking what they signify rather than condemning the art.

I have a full sleeve on my right arm and half sleeve on my left, and I have received offers from two phd programs (and I'm anticipating an offer from another later this week). A 4th-year at one of the universities I interviewed at has a full sleeve. I asked him if he has encountered any issues so far, and he said none at all. His body of work speaks more to his competency as a psychologist than his body of ink. We both share the same philosophy: cover them up when you see clients. It's not too difficult to have a nice sport coat ready to go in your office or car for when you need to cover up quickly.