Tattoo slightly visible in scrubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agranulocytosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm considering getting a tattoo on my right arm, slightly below the deltoid about 2/3 the way up my arm. I'm thinking the bottom part of it could be visible under scrubs. It's not going to be a dragon or naked lady or anything like that, it's more of a compass rose without the letters.

For those in surgery and with tattoos slightly visible in scrub tops, how much have they affected attendings' and patients' perception of you?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm considering getting a tattoo on my right arm, slightly below the deltoid about 2/3 the way up my arm. I'm thinking the bottom part of it could be visible under scrubs. It's not going to be a dragon or naked lady or anything like that, it's more of a compass rose without the letters.

For those in surgery and with tattoos slightly visible in scrub tops, how much have they affected attendings' and patients' perception of you?

I have one on each wrist, ventral aspect, from a "previous life". I've only had people ask what they mean, out of apparent interest. However, it's unlikely they'd say anything if they disapprove. But it hasn't seemed like anyone has, and I tend to be rather cognizant of such things.

It depends on the program, the PD and the patient population.

It was frowned upon at my program; I can only remember 1 resident, a Uro resident, who had a tribal band around his upper arm, which was visible slightly below a standard scrub top. He made sure to wear a t-shirt underneath or his lab coat when outside the OR. The residents were not encouraged to be "different" in that particular surgical program.

chemist157 appears to be in a non-surgical military residency where it may be more accepted.

That being said, times they are a-changing, and more and more people have tats, so acceptance is becoming more widespread. Perhaps you might want to wait and see what the culture is at your program.

It depends on the program, the PD and the patient population.

It was frowned upon at my program; I can only remember 1 resident, a Uro resident, who had a tribal band around his upper arm, which was visible slightly below a standard scrub top. He made sure to wear a t-shirt underneath or his lab coat when outside the OR. The residents were not encouraged to be "different" in that particular surgical program.

chemist157 appears to be in a non-surgical military residency where it may be more accepted.

That being said, times they are a-changing, and more and more people have tats, so acceptance is becoming more widespread. Perhaps you might want to wait and see what the culture is at your program.

Or get one in a different area. Plenty of us have symbolic tatoos that are important to us (myself, and many other males in my family have our family crest on upper back). We chose to put them in a place where they would be rarely seen as they are important to us, but not important that other people see them.

Or get one in a different area. Plenty of us have symbolic tatoos that are important to us (myself, and many other males in my family have our family crest on upper back). We chose to put them in a place where they would be rarely seen as they are important to us, but not important that other people see them.

Good point. If you are putting that much thought into a tattoo, and it is symbolic for you, perhaps a location where it isn't as visible is a good idea as it won't affect your employment opportunities.

If people care that much about a tattoo then there is either something wrong with you (because they focus on the tattoo and your work is not that great) or with them. If they care because it makes you look unprofessional to patients, then that's one thing. But most patients don't care and probably don't notice unless the tattoo is over the top.

If your point is to get a tattoo in a place where people are going to see it and comment about it, then hopefully it is tasteful and if it is I doubt people will complain. But if your point is just to have a tattoo to "express yourself" without most people knowing, then get it somewhere that no one will notice. Since you've obviously thought about this, why can't you move the tattoo a couple of inches higher on your arm? Is the 2/3 ratio between elbow and shoulder hold some sort of cosmic significance to you?

I would personally not get one. But then again I personally think they are idiotic, kind of like piercing your tongue or your nose. Tattoos are permanent, man. There is not much sadder to me then an old person with a sagging misshapen tattoo that is supposed to mean something significant.

Good point. If you are putting that much thought into a tattoo, and it is symbolic for you, perhaps a location where it isn't as visible is a good idea as it won't affect your employment opportunities.

The bulk of your body is covered when you wear scrubs. Only your upper extremities, neck and head are going to be visible. If you can't find enough hidden real estate to put a tattoo, you probably should repeat anatomy. Just get it on your shoulder, back, chest, abdomen or legs and you are set. If you are so focused on having it on your arm, you probably are less focused on having the tattoo, and more focused on making a statement. The need for making statements is a bad attribute in a conservative profession. Keep your self expression under your clothes.

Agree with getting it in a non-conspicuous place on your body. Mine are usually covered by my white coat. It took a while to not be self-conscious about it when wearing only scrubs. Not worth it, but nothing I can do about it now.

Some hospitals at which I have worked have a "no visible tattoo" dress code policy. Employees with tattoos on their arms are expected to wear long sleeves, and those with tattoo's on their necks must wear collars or turtlenecks to obscure them.

Some hospitals at which I have worked have a "no visible tattoo" dress code policy. Employees with tattoos on their arms are expected to wear long sleeves, and those with tattoo's on their necks must wear collars or turtlenecks to obscure them.

That is true. There is one where I have privileges (at an admittedly more "snooty" area of town) which has the very same rule.

Its tough in the Arizona summer to wear a turtleneck to cover the spider tat on my neck.

Thanks for your input everyone. Based on the previous threads about tattoos and this one, I ended up getting it higher up on my arm on the deltoid. The reason for that 2/3 ratio was simply aesthetic; I felt it looks more balanced on my arm in that location than higher up on my deltoid. But in this case, professionalism mattered more to me than looks, so I got it where it wouldn't be visible under scrubs.

It sure will be interesting to see how tattoos will be accepted in a few years from now.

Thanks for your input everyone. Based on the previous threads about tattoos and this one, I ended up getting it higher up on my arm on the deltoid. The reason for that 2/3 ratio was simply aesthetic; I felt it looks more balanced on my arm in that location than higher up on my deltoid. But in this case, professionalism mattered more to me than looks, so I got it where it wouldn't be visible under scrubs.

It sure will be interesting to see how tattoos will be accepted in a few years from now.

I'm late to the party but I'd echo the above statements.

In a more conservative profession you need to keep in mind the overall attitudes and perhaps keep it covered (as you seem to have chosen).

More liberal job equals less worry about a visible piece.

I'm late to the party but I'd echo the above statements.

In a more conservative profession you need to keep in mind the overall attitudes and perhaps keep it covered (as you seem to have chosen).

More liberal job equals less worry about a visible piece.

Also late to the party, but I disagree. I briefly looked up some stats on tats, and from a 2006 study by Pew 36% of American's between 18-25 and 40% of American's between 26-40 had a tattoo. So roughly 40% of the population who will be alive for the majority of the time I practice medicine have a tat. I wanted one, I got one. Granted, it's on my ankle so it isn't seen in scrubs; only capri's or a skirt, but I feel no qualms about exposing it (other than during interviews... I caved to conservatives and bought tattoo cover-up). Medicine can be a calling, but it is also just a job. You go to work, you earn a paycheck, and then you come home.

Mine isn't visible. If you need someone to laser yours holla at ya boy.

I am a little more extreme, but in my experience: My left arm is covered in tattoos (as in no bare skin visible), from the wrist up to my chest/neck and I have had mixed reactions. When I am on the floor I wear a white coat or long sleeve dress shirt. When I am doing procedures or scrub in the OR, I just have a scrub top on so the tattoos are very visible. One attending made me wear long sleeves even during procedures, but everyone else has not made me do anything to cover them in addition to the above. The only limit I have is not getting something I would be embrassed to show my mother or some random person on the street.

I have very visible tattoos on both arms. I have never had a problem keeping them covered, most are surprised when they see me in an operating room setting and have exposed arms. Patients are typically asleep, little issue. If I could go back to before I knew I was going into medicine I would have kept them off my arms altogether. In the mean time, I make sure that I have made good impressions well before anyone I work with realizes that I have them.