Tattoos in DPT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptlover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

I recently had a discussion with friends about tattoos. I currently have 2 which are covered by clothing. I've been wanting one word on my wrist for years, but I'm afraid of how professionally it would look. What is everyone's take on this? How strict are some of your programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Or what about like a small nose stud?

A lot of my classmates have tattoos but they're all covered up. I would stay away from anything that would be able to be seen professionally. As a PT you may have to roll up your sleeves a lot so long sleeves won't always do the trick. Just my 2 cents. Then Again i shadowed a bunch of PT's who had visible tattoos and they all do fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend here who is a teacher with a one-word tattoo on her wrist. As tattoos are frowned upon, she wears a bandaid over it (one of the small, decorated kinds).

I too have been wondering how tattoos are viewed in the physical therapy profession (I haven't personally met any PTs with exposed tattoos, but I have met tons of doctors, nurses, med techs, etc etc with exposed tattoos). I was also considering getting at tattoo on my forearm.

One of the questions I asked myself is whether it would be worth constantly worrying about in a professional environment, or constantly trying to cover up if need me (since I'd be at work most of the time anyways). Now I'm definitely leaning towards not getting one, but it'd be great to hear others' thoughts.

Or what about like a small nose stud?

I used to have one, but don't know how strict many schools are about it. And previous jobs I held did not allow it.

I have a friend here who is a teacher with a one-word tattoo on her wrist. As tattoos are frowned upon, she wears a bandaid over it (one of the small, decorated kinds).

I too have been wondering how tattoos are viewed in the physical therapy profession (I haven't personally met any PTs with exposed tattoos, but I have met tons of doctors, nurses, med techs, etc etc with exposed tattoos). I was also considering getting at tattoo on my forearm.

One of the questions I asked myself is whether it would be worth constantly worrying about in a professional environment, or constantly trying to cover up if need me (since I'd be at work most of the time anyways). Now I'm definitely leaning towards not getting one, but it'd be great to hear others' thoughts.

I personally don't think I would mind covering it up if needed with a bracelet, bandaid, etc. I just haven't met anyone in the PT field who has done this. I have a mentor who holds a Ph.D and is very well respected and works at an extremely prestigious university . She has a forearm tattoo, when asked about it she explains its in remembrance of someone. I didnt notice it for years, but I never heard anyone frown down upon it. She holds a vice chancellor position now, so it obviously has not caused major problems professionally.

A lot of my classmates have tattoos but they're all covered up. I would stay away from anything that would be able to be seen professionally. As a PT you may have to roll up your sleeves a lot so long sleeves won't always do the trick. Just my 2 cents. Then Again i shadowed a bunch of PT's who had visible tattoos and they all do fine.

This is exactly how I feel. But its hard when its not completely against the rules.

Jdaniels always be telling it how it is lol!

Yeah I have tattoos on my upper arms, half sleeves and such. Nothing below the elbow but would certainly pop out in scrubs. I'll probably wear some sort of non absorbing underarmor type getup until I feel comfortable. Unfortunately, in my experience I've found that people will judge you...good or bad.

Oh, you would absolutely be judged, so be ready for that. On the other hand, who cares. I personally have a tattoo but its not visible with a top on. The way i see it, schools and employers won't be able to see it at interviews, and they won't won't kick you out of school for having it. So depending on what it is, i say go for it. Unless you're someone who values opinions and are a worrier, then probably not.

Reactions: 1 user
I have tattoos on both forearms and I generally wear short sleeves while working. I've been volunteering and interning at one of the top rehab hospitals in the country the last few months and I haven't really run into into any issues. I was going to wear Under Armour type sleeves but I was told that as long as the tattoos weren't offensive they didn't see the need to cover them up. I'm sure some people judge me but I could care less. The head PT who will probably be writing my recommendation really likes tattoos. I just left the Army last spring and I plan on heading to Army-Baylor for PT school. Tattoos are ubiquitous in the military so I don't think I will have an issue. Are people going to judge? Of course. Should you care? That's up to you.

Oh, you would absolutely be judged, so be ready for that. On the other hand, who cares. I personally have a tattoo but its not visible with a top on. The way i see it, schools and employers won't be able to see it at interviews, and they won't won't kick you out of school for having it. So depending on what it is, i say go for it. Unless you're someone who values opinions and are a worrier, then probably not.

Honestly, when you're a practicing PT, if you know your stuff and are professional, people's perceptions of you will change. There are so many types of people and demographics that hold rigid opinions of what's "acceptable," truth is, people have to grow up and deal with modern times. We now live in a working world where it's illegal to discriminate against gender, race, religion, age, sexual orientation, and a laundry list of others. If you worked through 7 years of post-secondary education to pass a state examination and practice as a competent practitioner of healthcare, who on earth has the right to tell you how your body should appear. My only advice is to make sure you can cover them during an interview and don't get one on your face, but once you're past that don't hold back. After all, most of us are in this primarily to help better the QOL of our patients.

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW, a hospital I'm shadowed at has a dress code that requires that all employees and volunteers have all tattoos be covered by clothing or a flesh-colored bandaid. So it has potential to become kind of a daily annoyance in some work settings, if having to wear a bandaid on your wrist 40 hours a week and have people constantly asking you if you cut your self is something you find annoying. Just a thought...

Last edited:
Thanks all! I am curious about what PTs in the profession have experienced too. But I think if its small enough to be covered, I don't see much of an issue.

I've shadowed PT's with visible tattoos, and have a visible tattoos myself. I do live in Seattle, which is pretty tattoo/piercing friendly.

I am a PT aide, and I was hired with both a visible wrist tattoo and a lip ring. The physical therapists I work with had no problem with the tattoo, and I just have to take my lip ring out while I work. Have never had a complaint from a patient, most of them actually tell me they like it!

I don't think a small wrist tattoo would be a problem at all.

I'm a first year DPT student and I have exposed tattoos on both arms as do many of my classmates. My clinical director at the university also has exposed tattoos. I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW, the hospital I'm shadowing at has a dress code that requires that all employees and volunteers have all tattoos be covered by clothing or a flesh-colored bandaid. So it has potential to become kind of a daily annoyance in some work settings, if having to wear a bandaid on your wrist 40 hours a week and have people constantly asking you if you cut your self is something you find annoying. Just a thought...

The company that I used to work for had a very similar policy. I couldnt hire some of the applicants for our PT tech positions because they had tatoos on their hands that could only be covered by gloves.

Best bet is that if you don't already have a tatoo but are thinking of getting one, put it in a place that can be easily covered by the clothing you will be wearing as a PT.