Tax Deduction for Dental School Tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwp1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do dental students get to deduct tuition from taxes? My girlfriend will be attending dental school next year. We plan on getting married, but wanted to wait until after she graduates. Now, however, I'm wondering if it would be a huge savings to get married now. I make $80k a year currently and am wondering if we were married, would I bet able to deduct her tuition from my income for tax purposes even if she took out a loan to pay for school.

Members don't see this ad.

" You may be able to deduct qualified education expenses paid during the year for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent(s). You can't claim this deduction if your filing status is married filing separately or if another person can claim an exemption for you as a dependent on his or her tax return. The qualified expenses must be for higher education, as explained later under Qualified Education Expenses .

What is the tax benefit of the tuition and fees deduction? The tuition and fees deduction can reduce the amount of your income subject to tax by up to $4,000."

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch06.html

By the way, what do you do for a living?

Thanks. That's what I found too but I didn't know if it was different for dental school compared to undergrad. I work as an analyst in the commercial real estate industry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. That's what I found too but I didn't know if it was different for dental school compared to undergrad. I work as an analyst in the commercial real estate industry.
Yes, you can claim the cost of tuition and any interest you paid on your income taxes whole in dschool.

So if she has $50k in tuition, but used a loan to pay for it, we would be able to write off all $50k?

The school will send you a Form 1098-T with the amount if tuition paid. You report the entire amount, but can only claim up to $4,000. Plus, this is also income limited for single filers under $80,000 or joint filers under $160,000.

The school will send you a Form 1098-T with the amount if tuition paid. You report the entire amount, but can only claim up to $4,000. Plus, this is also income limited for single filers under $80,000 or joint filers under $160,000.
I have a quick question for you Navy DDS, if I am receiving the Navy HPSP, can I write off my dental school education as well?

I have a quick question for you Navy DDS, if I am receiving the Navy HPSP, can I write off my dental school education as well?
I did the HSCP, not the HPSP. I don't know the rules on how it applies to income taxes. I'd contact a tax consultant or ask someone who has taken the HPSP and submitted their taxes.