Taxonomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tianyuan19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How detailed taxonomy do wee need to know for DAT ? what books you will recommend? is KBB good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on your bio background....

tried and true = KBB + Cliffs AP Bio for supplement + datQvault

*some of cliffs is overkill, in my opinion

Cliffs' excruciating detail of the fungi is pretty useless but by and large the in-depth bio exposure is definitely useful! Considering how cheap Cliffs is, if you have enough time, there is NO reason you shouldn't use it.

The Cliffs bio book as a whole in my opinion is a must, but i agree with others in that the taxonomy chapter of the book a little bit too detailed. I remember I didnt have the patience to go over the entire chapter while studying through the book; however, there is a great table at the end of the taxonomy chapter that really helped and I made sure to know that table.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the statement below, I read the whole chapter and knew it well. I did both US and Canadian DAT and most taxonomy questions were out of that table. Anything else, was very general. However, if you do have time there's no harm in knowing the other stuff as well just to be on the safe side.

The Cliffs bio book as a whole in my opinion is a must, but i agree with others in that the taxonomy chapter of the book a little bit too detailed. I remember I didnt have the patience to go over the entire chapter while studying through the book; however, there is a great table at the end of the taxonomy chapter that really helped and I made sure to know that table.